First Gig Back

maelzoid

I've done a number of gigs over the last 4 weeks or so and one thing I have really enjoyed about them is seeing people each time so excited for their first gigs again. This week was Beabadoobee on Monday, Tom Jones on Tuesday, and Duran Duran on Wednesday so rather different ages ranges for them really, and it was the same for all of them. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, Quark said:

Cheating a bit as not my first gig, but saw Idles in Brighton tonight.

Well I'm no idles connoisseur by any stretch, but I thought they were absolutely fantastic tonight. I wasnt the biggest fan of Ultra Mono, but tracks like Mr Motivator and Grounds sounded so much better live. Couple from Brutalism, and the usual suspect tracks like Danny Nedelko, Perm, Samaritans and Colossus from Joy.

I didn't see them at Glastonbury, but saw them on that tour and I think this was just as good. @gigpusherI reckon you should go for it pal, I had an absolute blast tonight.

20210913_221310.jpg

20210913_210422.jpg

Going to see them at the Eden Project tomorrow night, can't wait! Looking forward to hearing Ultra Mono tracks played live too.  And who doesn't love a good mosh pit?!

Chester Pride tomorrow followed by scouse favourites Oranj Son in Wrexham in the evening. Liverpool, North Wales, Chester….. anyone of ‘a certain age’ might have memories of The Jam at Deeside Leisure Centre (“Battle of the Ice Rink” as the local press reported it) flooding back to them! I feel your pain, and recall my own!

Not first gig back for me but loved Blossoms at Manchester Arena tonight - it was my brother's first gig back though. Got the tickets for him at Christmas 2019 as they're his favourite band (and one of mine too) 

I first saw them at Gorilla in 2015 and was convinced they'd be massive and it was like a proud parent moment to see them play the Arena. Saw them do Ritz, Albert Hall x2, Castlefield Bowl, Apollo and various support slots including the cricket ground so good to see them complete the set. 

Now it's Sam Fender/Fontaines/Beabadoobee in Newcastle tomorrow, then kaiser chiefs and razorlight Wednesday, courteeners Saturday and Snow Patrol Sunday. Fair to say I'll be satisfied then whatever happens for the rest of the year 

Edited by efcfanwirral

On 9/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, faymondo said:

At last after no gig since December 2019 it was Chic in Liverpool last night. Under the shadow of the Liver Buildings and it was great. Right up at the front as well with loads of room.

Tea Street Band supporting The Christians tonight in Neston and back down the Pier Head in Liverpool on Saturday for Cream Classical.

I am back 😃

Cracking gig on Friday in a marquee for The Tea Street Band and The Christians.

Great day yesterday at Cream Classical.

Just great chatting shit and having a laugh with strangers and most of all I lost myself in music for 3 days.

Never will that be taken for granted again. 

Loads coming up now into next year, leading up to the big one and Glastonbury 2022.

Edited by faymondo

36 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Cracking gig on Friday in a marquee for The Tea Street Band and The Christians.

Great day yesterday at Cream Classical.

Just great chatting shit and having a laugh with strangers and most of all I lost myself in music for 3 days.

Never will that be taken for granted again. 

Loads coming up now into next year, leading up to the big one and Glastonbury 2022.

Im about a ten minute walk from Neston cricket club. Church Lane. Didnt go to gig but glad it was good

Had Low Island at Moth Club on Friday - had gone to see them at G2019 bvut they had tech issues so was good to see them on top form. Cracking venue too.

Then had Declan McKenna on Saturday at Brixton and reckon I was the oldest one there. Might be a weird complaint but I wish he would play the guitar less? On the tracks where he was just singing he was great and charismatic, but as soon as he picked up a guitar he had to focus and all the energy was lost. Side note as well - the kids really do love PinkPantheress don't they - got a pretty huge singalong during the gap after alfie fucked off (and surprisingly so did American Boy)

On 9/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, faymondo said:

At last after no gig since December 2019 it was Chic in Liverpool last night. Under the shadow of the Liver Buildings and it was great. Right up at the front as well with loads of room.

Tea Street Band supporting The Christians tonight in Neston and back down the Pier Head in Liverpool on Saturday for Cream Classical.

I am back 😃

1 hour ago, faymondo said:

Had a couple of pints in Neston before the gig. Luckily Mrs Fay picked us up to take us back over the water saving a hefty cab fare. 

A gig in Neston?? Wow that's a new one to me...where did you go for a drink? 

Fontaines were incredible at This is Tomorrow. I cant believe how good they are live, wasn't expecting that at all - completely blown away 

Sam Fender brilliant also - loving new single Get You Down and was great to finally hear The Borders live. Felt like the gig was encroaching on the night out of most of the crowd near me though...

Edited by efcfanwirral

First gig back for me was Genesis in Birmingham on Monday. Sad to see Phil in ill health; I’ve never been a fan of his solo career but he was, and still is, a great entertainer. Fantastic show, despite the reliance on 80’s/90’s hits - although there was a fair bit of 70’s/80’s prog too. Far better than I was expecting.

490BCA51-6415-41DA-A4FE-E238BB55E395.jpeg

6 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

First “indoor” gig back tonight. Squid at Printworks. Was a bit disappointed by them at Wide Awake Festival so hopefully I enjoy it more this evening. 

Was amazing. Found it incredibly emotional to be back in that atmosphere even if I did feel a little bit apprehensive initially.   Let’s hope this is just a precursor to normality next year. 

• Like 1

First festival back last week. Pitchfork in Chicago. Perfect weather and despite the dust due to the field being used up the weekend prior cause of another festival, it mostly went well. Some long lines for things but thats kind of unavoidable right now. Not that it effected me when you have a press pass. St Vincent, Phoebe Bridgers, Special Interest, Bartees Strange, Kelly Lee Owens and Yves Tumor, Black Midi and Faye Webster were the best of the weekend.  Some photos, gallery in link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182964751@N05/albums/72157719885168531

tJJ67Wc.jpg

xluU82n.jpg

PWB7b28.jpg

T6ywnRR.jpg

BcyYtyp.jpg

ciirylk.jpg

D2Jm192.jpg

LzkaHaW.jpg

mWfEovA.jpg

PkVRvcT.jpg

zvgxtYB.jpg

51500941625_776cf5daa8_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Amazing photos @Suprefan thought they were done by someone in the trade … or maybe they are 😂

Thanks. No, It’s me I assure you, its a trade I can do, not the trade, but still.. If you wanna see a bunch of other stuff from over the years you can go below.  And fyi, i purposefully didnt take a lot of photos at my first glasto in 2017. Next year i will do differently, so you can expect similar things in 9 months. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25668040@N03/albums