First Gig Back

maelzoid

First gig back was Catfish and the Bottlemen in Swansea. Ym@6 actually put in a decent effort and show, they had a newer song that was catchy and decent. Feeder sound was either too instrument heavy or the mic wasn't setup properly as at time his voice was drowned by it was fine. They just kinda come on, play and go now. Thought Yonaka were actually better and would see again.

Overall, great weather, food was good and it was organised just fine too.  Only major wait was between sub and headline for food given the longest gap but that's expected. 

Couldn't complain for that cost.

I went and saw The Wildhearts last night which was my first proper gig since coivd happened.

It was close to £6 for a can of warm Red Stripe, the support band was shit, it was hot and sweaty, the floor was sticky, there was a nutter in the smoking area who insisted on befriending us, a guy in the toilet was rhyming about vaginas and aftershave, I got home past midnight where I then tried to be charming by singing to my missus songs from the band she didn’t want to see and as always there were a couple of deep cut songs they didn’t play. However seeing an artist connecting and expressing with a crowd again by getting a room full of strangers singing and rocking together was fucking glorious! 🤘

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jump said:

I went and saw The Wildhearts last night which was my first proper gig since coivd happened.

It was close to £6 for a can of warm Red Stripe, the support band was shit, it was hot and sweaty, the floor was sticky, there was a nutter in the smoking area who insisted on befriending us, a guy in the toilet was rhyming about vaginas and aftershave, I got home past midnight where I then tried to be charming by singing to my missus songs from the band she didn’t want to see and as always there were a couple of deep cut songs they didn’t play. However seeing an artist connecting and expressing with a crowd again by getting a room full of strangers singing and rocking together was fucking glorious! 🤘

A good reminder that I haven't listened to the new album yet!

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

A good reminder that I haven't listened to the new album yet!

The new album is a good one. I spent the last week listening to it as I was expecting the gig to be new album heavy on the setlist and I found myself really liking and looking forwarding to hearing 5/6 songs from it but then the gig has happened and they only played 2 songs from the new album.

My first gig back was last night, Biffy Clyro in Glasgow ☺️
It was an absolute joy to be back watching live music! There were times when I forgot we were in a pandemic but times when it was very apparent (when I’d get an sudden wave of anxiety about being near people).

10/10 would recommend. 

6A96493A-9F37-4F03-8610-A51D31EE8648.jpeg

• Like 1

Although I have done a couple of festivals and Biffy in Margate last night was my first indoor gig, The Wildhearts at the Electric Ballroom in Camden.  Must admit to feeling anxious about being inside with so many people beforehand but we got in there earlier and let the crowds build up around me.  Like @Tartan_Glasto there were times were it was playing on my mind but the times were the sheer joy of jumping around to my favourites tunes and seeing so many happy faces outnumbered it easily.  So great to be back.  It was great also to see so many people enjoying the support acts too and not just talking over them.  Everyone appriecates what we have a little more I think.

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

First big one for me later today: New Order, Hot Chip, Working Men's Club. A bit apprehensive maybe but I am excited. I know a fair few of you are there too so have a good one! 

Yep enjoy. I'm not likely to get there until about Hot Chip time which is a shame as I really liked the Working Men's Club album but no doubt I'll catch them on their own tour. Fingers crossed it's not too muddy!!

16 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Been to Green Man and EOTR but tonight is my first gig in a club since February last year - Sea Power in the Craufurd Arms, MK. 

One of my favourite ever live bands, so looking forward to it. 

So good to be back and the band were clearly delighted to be back playing again.

Well that was really full on! Enjoyed it a lot, but it felt pretty weird to be surrounded by so many people at points. Hot Chip were sublime, New Order were great (highlights for me being Temptation, Transmission, Regret, Blue Monday and Love Will Tear Us Apart) and the atmosphere was brilliant. Downsides were the queues for everything, which were crazy (we didn't even bother getting a drink between the two bands as it was just too much), and the amount of time it took to get in and out of the place. Glad I went though and looking forward to some more live music soon. Sadly we missed WMC as we left a bit late and then it just took bloody ages to get from the drop-off to the entrance. My favourite thing was seeing big groups of lads all hugging each other and the big singalong elements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The crowds were what I found strange about Download this year. At one point. I left the second stage early, because I was about to sneeze massively and repeatedly!! And I was in a pack of people squashed up to the front mosh pit!!! 
I couldn’t just stand there and give them Covid!! 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well that was really full on! Enjoyed it a lot, but it felt pretty weird to be surrounded by so many people at points. Hot Chip were sublime, New Order were great (highlights for me being Temptation, Transmission, Regret, Blue Monday and Love Will Tear Us Apart) and the atmosphere was brilliant. Downsides were the queues for everything, which were crazy (we didn't even bother getting a drink between the two bands as it was just too much), and the amount of time it took to get in and out of the place. Glad I went though and looking forward to some more live music soon. Sadly we missed WMC as we left a bit late and then it just took bloody ages to get from the drop-off to the entrance. My favourite thing was seeing big groups of lads all hugging each other and the big singalong elements.

Was just looking at the set list - great to see old faves of mine such as Your Silent Face, Age of Consent and Ceremony an airing. I’m long overdue a New Order gig. In fact I haven’t seen them since the 80’s 😬

33 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Was just looking at the set list - great to see old faves of mine such as Your Silent Face, Age of Consent and Ceremony an airing. I’m long overdue a New Order gig. In fact I haven’t seen them since the 80’s 😬

It was definitely a greatest hits heavy set, that's for sure.

53 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Those heaton park things are always busy with big queues etc. You'd think maybe they'd try and improve it.

3rd time seeing New Order, worst I'd seen them tbh. Glad to see some people enjoying it but unfortunately for me I couldn't stand it. They sounded like karaoke for most of it, mixing was way off (could barely hear bass and guitars for a lot of the set) and the crowd near me were extremely horrible, shoving and pushing and general no gig etiquette. A night I hope to forget unfortunately. 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Those heaton park things are always busy with big queues etc. You'd think maybe they'd try and improve it.

It did feel a bit ridiculous. There were bars there not even open as well (ready for Parklife this weekend) which would have made life easier. When there's only three bands on the lineup obviously everyone gets a drink at the same time as well. I don't mind a bit of a queue but there was no way I was getting into that before New Order. We ducked out to buy one half way through.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

3rd time seeing New Order, worst I'd seen them tbh. Glad to see some people enjoying it but unfortunately for me I couldn't stand it. They sounded like karaoke for most of it, mixing was way off (could barely hear bass and guitars for a lot of the set) and the crowd near me were extremely horrible, shoving and pushing and general no gig etiquette. A night I hope to forget unfortunately. 

Think you must have just been stood in a poor spot. I wasn't expecting much having been really disappointed with their Other Stage headline slot in 2016 but they sounded bloody brilliant last night although only so much can be done with Barney's singing voice. Hot Chip were fantastic as always. 

The organisation to get in wasn't fantastic and we only got something to eat and a bottle of water and it was bloody extortionate. 2 small portions of mac and cheese and a bottle of water cost £23.50. 

All in all a good night. 

• Like 1

Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed New Order last night.

We had a good spot sound wise as were near a speaker stack to the right of the sound desk. Good bunch of folk around us too.

But agree on the bar queues. Didn't mind it so much on the way in as appreciate COVID checks and searches needed to be done but bars were ridiculous and a poor range on offer too. 

Just now, found home in 2009 said:

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I've tested positive for Covid a week after my first gig back.

Does make me a bit more wary about future gigs I have tickets for.

Got 2 gigs days apart in October which now feels really risky.

If it makes you feel better, once this incidence of Covid is out your system, you're very unlikely to get it again for a while, since you'll have antibodies 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If it makes you feel better, once this incidence of Covid is out your system, you're very unlikely to get it again for a while, since you'll have antibodies 

That's good to hear thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked, particular with regards to different strains.

At least I'm double vaccinated & fairly healthy so although I'm feeling like shit I don't think I need to worry about serious complications thankfully.