First Gig Back

maelzoid

Went to the Sleeper/Bluetones gig last friday at the Brum Academy. Massive queue turned out to be a bottleneck caused by security checking covid passports way ahead of the entrance. This led to people coming the other way down the road being able to bypass the queue-and-check completely and just walk into the pat down.

Near 2 years since I last walked into the main room, the darkness and the smell hit me like it used to when I'd go to Ramshackle at the old academy. A rich mix of anxiety and excitement in the air, cut with issey miyake.

Bar queues were thick, as you'd expect from a show where the main acts take to the stage at 7:30pm. If anyone in the audience entered the venue after this time, it wasn't noticeable.

Bluetones opened. This was ideal for me. A fair amount of gig talking and not much action for the biggest songs. Morris does some funny chat, but Slight Return felt like it was played a fraction slow.

They drag out their encore with an Every Breathe You Take/If mash-up, convincing the crowd they're not gonna hear the classic track un-Policed. They get through that and it's straight to the bar for me, while everyone else goes for the classic wee-then-pint timewaster combo. Gotta switch those round lads. Pays dividends. While I was at the bar, the barmaid tipped the 2 pinter of Export I asked for all over the bar, and almost me, had I not bounced right out of the way. A quick congratulations from the barfly next to me, and then I took off with my replacement twoper, with it's beer-line-cleaning-fluid tang.

By the time Sleeper come on, I'd estimate a third of the crowd has cleared off. Ideal. That crowd woulda just gassed the whole way through this set if they were waiting for Bluetones. Crowd was much livelier at this point, going mental for What Do I Do Now in the encore. Band was really into it too.

Here's a few photos I took. None of Bluetones as all the ones I took then were terrible (new phone, was trying to figure out the ISO)

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba168a2688f070d131&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_7-vK0qkaPkTN2JAGK1_9Z1S8uJWTJS2GhhTZlM9XlbZEaCHcDSKO5aiVaRgRQwCI0Y8kyLJNiMJi3i79K_EhGKSS7h7YM4RV8zyvyovQ1uEOoGaePdTe2K3U&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba168ea5320ac43942&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-oMKG8h8iJijI-0gKOJKowvcHpPiIaJmFDOfu1Xf09BQA1oSHMlaqw8HuIUMtAou8rZ8cJ-K-yVwRLRsz5bHIv0u5Dhi5IQXOIFdwt7jU2oTTuf22zmw4gy_0&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba16991e3e566b6db3&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ8CACimHagsl-JhGZoEyGDhLqAXh69DqDD01Y8keuyMwkAoap9aIN8e_hp9Si8h9f_uqbonqF5sH1A1iLN7ytuI6Ac_3p4VueojdlG1svdj7j_4JyaRF5iPnlc&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Went to the Sleeper/Bluetones gig last friday at the Brum Academy. Massive queue turned out to be a bottleneck caused by security checking covid passports way ahead of the entrance. This led to people coming the other way down the road being able to bypass the queue-and-check completely and just walk into the pat down.

Near 2 years since I last walked into the main room, the darkness and the smell hit me like it used to when I'd go to Ramshackle at the old academy. A rich mix of anxiety and excitement in the air, cut with issey miyake.

Bar queues were thick, as you'd expect from a show where the main acts take to the stage at 7:30pm. If anyone in the audience entered the venue after this time, it wasn't noticeable.

Bluetones opened. This was ideal for me. A fair amount of gig talking and not much action for the biggest songs. Morris does some funny chat, but Slight Return felt like it was played a fraction slow.

They drag out their encore with an Every Breathe You Take/If mash-up, convincing the crowd they're not gonna hear the classic track un-Policed. They get through that and it's straight to the bar for me, while everyone else goes for the classic wee-then-pint timewaster combo. Gotta switch those round lads. Pays dividends. While I was at the bar, the barmaid tipped the 2 pinter of Export I asked for all over the bar, and almost me, had I not bounced right out of the way. A quick congratulations from the barfly next to me, and then I took off with my replacement twoper, with it's beer-line-cleaning-fluid tang.

By the time Sleeper come on, I'd estimate a third of the crowd has cleared off. Ideal. That crowd woulda just gassed the whole way through this set if they were waiting for Bluetones. Crowd was much livelier at this point, going mental for What Do I Do Now in the encore. Band was really into it too.

Here's a few photos I took. None of Bluetones as all the ones I took then were terrible (new phone, was trying to figure out the ISO)

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba168a2688f070d131&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_7-vK0qkaPkTN2JAGK1_9Z1S8uJWTJS2GhhTZlM9XlbZEaCHcDSKO5aiVaRgRQwCI0Y8kyLJNiMJi3i79K_EhGKSS7h7YM4RV8zyvyovQ1uEOoGaePdTe2K3U&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba168ea5320ac43942&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-oMKG8h8iJijI-0gKOJKowvcHpPiIaJmFDOfu1Xf09BQA1oSHMlaqw8HuIUMtAou8rZ8cJ-K-yVwRLRsz5bHIv0u5Dhi5IQXOIFdwt7jU2oTTuf22zmw4gy_0&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f:1709703869165182347&th=17ba169c50b39d8b&view=fimg&realattid=17ba16991e3e566b6db3&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ8CACimHagsl-JhGZoEyGDhLqAXh69DqDD01Y8keuyMwkAoap9aIN8e_hp9Si8h9f_uqbonqF5sH1A1iLN7ytuI6Ac_3p4VueojdlG1svdj7j_4JyaRF5iPnlc&ats=2524608000000&sz=w949-h929

I’m going to the Glasgow gig tonight. Sounds good. Will try and get there early as have to show proof of my Covid infection a few weeks ago but depends on elderly babysitters.

20 hours ago, steviewevie said:

manchester psych fest this saturday. The line up is great, but the clashes are terrible.

Can't wait for this!  Looks like TV Priest have replaced Scalping at Gorilla and The Orielles have hinted at being the secret festival closing set.

A load of clashes but I expected that considering how good the lineup is, my main worry is getting into YES for Yard Act and Dry Cleaning as I'd think that's a pretty small venue for them now.

1 hour ago, AldoTVAOF said:

Can't wait for this!  Looks like TV Priest have replaced Scalping at Gorilla and The Orielles have hinted at being the secret festival closing set.

A load of clashes but I expected that considering how good the lineup is, my main worry is getting into YES for Yard Act and Dry Cleaning as I'd think that's a pretty small venue for them now.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off they've put Dry Cleaning in Yes, and at same time as Sterolab and Kikagaku Moyo.

Anyone who is going to the New Order at Heaton Park gig get their tickets yet? I've just messaged See customer services as still waiting for my e-tickets. Cutting it a bit fine!

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it due to recent personal events but it seems I actually can so definitely going to do it. It'll be my first proper non social distanced gig back and I am pretty excited for it. 

They're asking for proof of double vax or negative lateral flow for this one, but we all fall into the first category so no problems there.

The weather even looks okay at the moment! 

44 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone who is going to the New Order at Heaton Park gig get their tickets yet? I've just messaged See customer services as still waiting for my e-tickets. Cutting it a bit fine!

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it due to recent personal events but it seems I actually can so definitely going to do it. It'll be my first proper non social distanced gig back and I am pretty excited for it. 

They're asking for proof of double vax or negative lateral flow for this one, but we all fall into the first category so no problems there.

The weather even looks okay at the moment! 

Hell of a first gig to go back to ZMG!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Hell of a first gig to go back to ZMG!

I know! I've been to a couple of little things (the live music at Camp Kin, my partner's gig back in his village and socially distanced Darren Hayman) but this will be a whole different ball game. Can't see me getting down the front but will be having a good old dance. And next stop is Nick Cave in October 😀 I expect tears at both gigs.

Also got a couple of comedy/podcast record things this week so feels like am getting back out there a bit more in terms of events.

43 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

My first gig was to be Sisters of Mercy @ Roundhouse on 11th, but now have to cancel (going on hols following day and they will test on check in and if I've picked anything up I'm hosed. Ugh - was really looking forward to it.

So, 2 cheap tix if anyone fancies it.

I am no expert, but the King of Covid could lick your face all evening at Sisters of Mercy and it wouldnt show up next day....

If the self same KoC licks your chops on the 7th however....

Last night The Showhawk Duo in Manchester were immense. Probably my best post-lockdown gig so far. There was a lot of joy in that room. The support act Mellowmatic were also really great (Cut Capers vibes) 

Anyone going to see them is in for a treat and yes it did make me miss Glastonbury so much!!

11 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Spent the day at this yesterday and it was great.  Saw some bands i have never heard of which always seems a joy.

manchester-psych-fest-2021--108110190-300x300.jpg

What a day. Pretty much everyone was on form from Loose articles at 2 until Packs at 2. Was physically laughing with joy watching Girl Band, even my dad was in the pit by the end (and what and end it was).

Great representation as well to be fair, think I saw as many, if not more, women on stage than men over the day. I know some people are gonna roll their eyes at me even bringing that up but it felt really refreshing.

Had my first gig back on Friday, Declan McKenna at the Corn Exchange.

New venue for me. Bit of a pain to get there as it's not in city centre, but other than that thought it was a good venue. Checking Covid test & that everyone had checked in was all well organised. And they sold 2 Pinter's of Somersby's which was a result, though only one drink per person to discourage under age drinking, bit of a pain as couldn't do rounds.

Gig itself was great. Support act seemed to have a larger crowd than I'd normally expect at a gig. Not sure if it was because they were local or of everyone was just really keen to be back at a gig. They were pretty decent, sounded a bit like Wolf Alice, can't remember their name but think it started with the word swim.