First Gig Back

maelzoid

On 8/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, BlueDaze said:

Im off to see them next weekend...  very much looking forward to it..

What time did they start.? (Need to know what time i need to be out of the pub)

Sleeper were on at 19:30 and The Bluetones were 21:30. If you look at their twitter during the day they usually advise. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't my first gig back so can't say too much, but if you have the chance to see one Supergrass's several hundred gigs this summer, I would highly recommend it. The Cribs were good too. Not first gig but first moshpit for Mirror Kissers. Be Safe was quite the moment too.

This Saturday I'm off to my first non socially distanced gig, Hard Rock Hell Sleaze, a 2 dayer in Sheffield. 

All the 'big' overseas names have dropped out due to Covid and have been replaced by UK acts no-one has heard of.

Luckily we only paid £12.50 a ticket, otherwise I wouldn't be happy.

I know this means very little to almost everyone here (other than an opportunity to take the piss) but it's gone from this...

Screenshot_20210816-115439_Twitter.thumb.jpg.690be533f544370573ddff11e0252d4f.jpg

To this...

Screenshot_20210816-115527_Twitter.thumb.jpg.d36613c860724e9e0ebff5c9b6082072.jpg

Fucking Tigertailz 😬😁

Not a Blotzer in sight.

I have though discovered The Spangles who I'm very much looking forward to seeing.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Distraught at the absence of Jizzy Pearl 😔 

You'll be pleased to know that LA Guns have a Ratt like scenario whereby there are 2 versions of the band, one of which is led by a drummer who wasn't even part of the original band.

At least people have heard of Blotzer 

I say people....

56 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

My first gig back is meant to be Declan McKenna next Friday, but Nicola Sturgeon has just said they are going to review reintroducing Covid restrictions next week, so seems like it's in doubt no. Going to be so frustrated if she shuts down gigs just before my first gig back.

Any bloody excuse by the SNP 

Sleeper and Bluetones at Kentish Town forum last night... An excellent intro back..

Both bands looked tremendously happy to be in front of live audiences again and it was a proper good singalong. We are long term Bluetones fans, so happy that it was their night to headline.. Although i did point out to my joyously singing and dancing daughter that she was 5 when they released 'Expecting To Fly', the debut album that they are playing back to fron as a 25th anniversary on this tour.... 

We did take the opportunity of getting an early afternoon train into London and watched the footie with a bite to eat and far too many beers in a pub over the road beforehand... so probably starting on the sauce well too early for me..

I did wish this morning that i would have paid more attention to the 'Hangover' thread this week... 🥴 

For those of you still looking forward to those 'First Gigs back'...  Enjoy, it feels like a real move towards normality.

• Like 1

First one back yesterday for me was RTRN II DANCE in Clapham Common - god it was shite. Really understaffed everywhere resulted in huge queues for entry and huge waits at the bars, really fucking dreadful. Plus the sound was patchy on all the stages, somehow there were areas in the crowd where you couldnt hear much but they were apparently getting noise complaints from as far away as Wimbledon...

Didnt even get bags checked on entry, let alone a check for the covid passes. Absolute joke...

Was nice to be back in a crowd though, got a decent spot for Andy C who is always ace anyway. Just a shame about everything else. Oh well, got Jungle next week and then got Declan McKenna and Low Island a couple weeks after that. Happy to be back!

19 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Sleeper and Bluetones at Kentish Town forum last night... An excellent intro back..

Both bands looked tremendously happy to be in front of live audiences again and it was a proper good singalong. We are long term Bluetones fans, so happy that it was their night to headline.. Although i did point out to my joyously singing and dancing daughter that she was 5 when they released 'Expecting To Fly', the debut album that they are playing back to fron as a 25th anniversary on this tour.... 

We did take the opportunity of getting an early afternoon train into London and watched the footie with a bite to eat and far too many beers in a pub over the road beforehand... so probably starting on the sauce well too early for me..

I did wish this morning that i would have paid more attention to the 'Hangover' thread this week... 🥴 

For those of you still looking forward to those 'First Gigs back'...  Enjoy, it feels like a real move towards normality.

Glad you enjoyed. We were glad that we had The Bluetones as headliner as well because Mark Morriss is a really good frontman. Very funny guy. I've seen him play huge venues with The Bluetones and tiny venues on his own and he's always entertaining. 

Back from Hard Rock Hell Sleaze. We didn't watch much to be honest, spending more time in various pubs but saw a couple of great sets from The Spangles and The Quireboys (unexpectedly got rather emotional during the big singalong ballad),  it was just fantastic to be back.

Also managed to see the worst set I've ever seen at a festival. Thankfully they were only on for 30 minutes but we saw it out to the end as it was incredible just how shit it was.

Back home, ears ringing, knackered, waiting for the Covid symptoms to kick in, very happy.

I've still got a three week wait for mine - Genesis in Birmingham. Since I bought the tickets nearly two years ago I've been blowing hot and cold about going. I love their 70's stuff but not the 80's poppier stuff, and I'm sure that it'll be weighted towards the latter as they usually do. They've dropped gigs in Dublin/Belfast and so my show is now the first of the tour so unusually for me I'll probably have no idea of the setlist and when to factor in toilet breaks. Despite my dislike of Phil Collins (not so keen on the other two either) and the fact that it cost so much (couldn't believe I paid that much when I checked my booking the other day), I'm really looking forward to finally being at a gig again. 

27 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I've still got a three week wait for mine - Genesis in Birmingham. Since I bought the tickets nearly two years ago I've been blowing hot and cold about going. I love their 70's stuff but not the 80's poppier stuff, and I'm sure that it'll be weighted towards the latter as they usually do. They've dropped gigs in Dublin/Belfast and so my show is now the first of the tour so unusually for me I'll probably have no idea of the setlist and when to factor in toilet breaks. Despite my dislike of Phil Collins (not so keen on the other two either) and the fact that it cost so much (couldn't believe I paid that much when I checked my booking the other day), I'm really looking forward to finally being at a gig again. 

I'm going to that too. V. expensive and under normal circumstances I would opt out, but I got my ticket in the height of lockdown when I just wanted something to look forward to.

I expect the setlist will weigh heavily on the 80s stuff, which I quite like so will be good for me. The only suggestion I could make about setlists is that they have another greatest hits set released to coincide with the tour, so I expect that will offer some clues.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/genesis-collection-the-last-domino/

You probably won't be hearing Supper's Ready...

6 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

First one back yesterday for me was RTRN II DANCE in Clapham Common - god it was shite. Really understaffed everywhere resulted in huge queues for entry and huge waits at the bars, really fucking dreadful. Plus the sound was patchy on all the stages, somehow there were areas in the crowd where you couldnt hear much but they were apparently getting noise complaints from as far away as Wimbledon...

Didnt even get bags checked on entry, let alone a check for the covid passes. Absolute joke...

Was nice to be back in a crowd though, got a decent spot for Andy C who is always ace anyway. Just a shame about everything else. Oh well, got Jungle next week and then got Declan McKenna and Low Island a couple weeks after that. Happy to be back!

Wasn’t it appalling?
With a near-two year hiatus, this will be a first festival experience for a number of youngsters. It might possibly have put them off for life! 

58 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

This begs an obvious question...

Circus Junkie Rebels.

1st off there's the name. 3 random stereotypical, genre specific names apparently pulled out of a hat and thrown together. 

In addition to the 2 guitarists, the singer also played guitar. That's fine, but he also took about 70% of the solos, resulting in (and I can't believe I'm saying this) a surplus of guitars.

The rhythm guitarist' lead was too short, he couldn't go far but kept trying so it kept falling out.

The drummer seemed to be playing a different song to the rest of them.

If they'd known the bassist for more than 20 minutes, I'd be amazed.

The lead guitarist had tremendous hair, I'll give him that, he looked very bored.

Then there's the singer. Clearly his band, he thought he sounded like Robert Plant (evidenced by their stab at covering Whole Lotta Love) but sounded more like a crap Phil Lewis. Vocals were way too high in the mix and his high notes cutting through like a sick cat screaming through a megaphone. 

Apart from that, they were fine.

• Upvote 1