First Gig Back

maelzoid

IMG_7425.thumb.JPG.815e70b021a59f02b7972139a6ee69ee.JPG

After nearly two years without gigs (the last being the Pilton party with Wolf Alice and Supergrass) I saw Sam Fender in Bristol last night.

It may be due to the absence of gigs and the last 18 months, but this was one of the most exciting gigs I can remember. The atmosphere was charged and the crowd of mostly young people sang their hearts out. 

This was the first time I'd seen him too. He was brilliant and already packing a repertoire of big memorable songs. I really think he is potential headliner material. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

IMG_7425.thumb.JPG.815e70b021a59f02b7972139a6ee69ee.JPG

After nearly two years without gigs (the last being the Pilton party with Wolf Alice and Supergrass) I saw Sam Fender in Bristol last night.

It may be due to the absence of gigs and the last 18 months, but this was one of the most exciting gigs I can remember. The atmosphere was charged and the crowd of mostly young people sang their hearts out. 

This was the first time I'd seen him too. He was brilliant and already packing a repertoire of big memorable songs. I really think he is potential headliner material. 

I second this, was also there and it was bloody fantastic. HIs new single is a real anthem and the band were tight as anything especially after so long out. Top evening.

• Upvote 1

did wargasm social distance a couple of months back, but first proper gig is Sleeper/Bluetones in 2 weeks. Always a weird feeling when I go to see acts I was watching as a youth, normally on totp while pretending to do my homework.

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

did wargasm social distance a couple of months back, but first proper gig is Sleeper/Bluetones in 2 weeks. Always a weird feeling when I go to see acts I was watching as a youth, normally on totp while pretending to do my homework.

I've got that one tonight so I'll report back. 

Got a nice surprise last night, went in to buy tickets for Shame for their gig in April next year only to find its been brought forward to Halloween this year. Got my first gig back to look forward to! 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

@PadjeqSleeper and The Bluetones last night was really good. We had Sleeper first and The Bluetones as headliners which was my preference as I know The Bluetones much more but I understand they have been swapping that about as they are co-headliners. Both really good. I think Mark Morriss is better at interacting with the crowd but I guess being friends with lots of comedians helps you develop a witty repartee. Very enjoyable and actually met up with some friends at the gig last night and it felt so normal that it was great. One thing to be aware of you did have to show evidence of being double jabbed or a negative test and it did make the queue to get in a bit longer than normal. We were advised to get the app up and take a screenshot on your phone to make it a bit quicker. I suspect by September this will be a normal part of getting into gigs so worth being aware of it and being prepared. 

Next up for me is Showhawk Duo which will give me major Glastonbury vibes. 

My wife's first gig back was last week at Gorillaz at the NHS gig at the O2. When she got back she said she was so emotional being back at her first big gig (we did Farmsfest before) she almost cried (plus they had loads of special guests, inc Robert Smith).

Anyway, the reason I am posting it here is to say Big up to @Big durbsfor helping her and her NHS worker friend to get the free tickets. My wife's been getting a lot of crap at work recently and has been very (very) stressed, so very grateful for you for taking the time to sort this and taking her mind off it all for a few hours. What a top man!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Really looking forward to them … I feared the Bristol gig was gonna be cancelled with swx fire a few weeks back but they have moved venue to Thekla … and as it’s a smaller venue it’s now sold out … will be good fun 

Made a last minute decision yesterday morning to book Foals in Swansea and travel down for the day. The venue at singleton park worked well being on a slope so good views from everywhere and the sound was spot on.

Foals were incredible, such a good atmosphere with it being most people’s (I assume) first gig in 18 months. Finished the main set with 10 minute long Neptune worked really well followed by a heavy encore. Also treated us to a new one - I believe called Novo which felt like a nice continuation of their part 2 album sound  - and said there’s plenty more where that came from. Hopefully means more new music before their postponed UK tour next spring!

12 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

You are more than welcome, my wife is the same , she could not get the time off to go , so I am chuffed to bits that someone on here was able to use them .

We have just landed back from Lakefest and that was awesome, a real festival with multiple stages , four nights in a tent , and great acts . What’s not to like 🙂 

Great stuff, you're at a fest every week aren't you?!

We've sadly realised we aren't going abroad for a while and holidays in this country seem quite hard to get hold of. Not sure I want to go clubbing yet cos of the Covid, so have sort of decided that going to loads of festivals might be the way forward!

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Great stuff, you're at a fest every week aren't you?!

We've sadly realised we aren't going abroad for a while and holidays in this country seem quite hard to get hold of. Not sure I want to go clubbing yet cos of the Covid, so have sort of decided that going to loads of festivals might be the way forward!

Does your wife work for nhs or was it her friend!! Cant remember!! 
@Big durbs is Mrs D registered for this!! 
https://bluelighttickets.co.uk/

I found it yesterday!! You need a blue light card which is a discount card for frontline staff! 

9 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Does your wife work for nhs or was it her friend!! Cant remember!! 
@Big durbs is Mrs D registered for this!! 
https://bluelighttickets.co.uk/

I found it yesterday!! You need a blue light card which is a discount card for frontline staff! 

Her friend works for the NHS; my wife (she should be ashamed!) works in marketing. One thing I learnt back in my internet app dating days was that all women in London work in marketing.

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Her friend works for the NHS; my wife (she should be ashamed!) works in marketing. One thing I learnt back in my internet app dating days was that all women in London work in marketing.

Look at this way if it wasnt for marketing we would know about festival essential items!! Or Festivals and Gigs!!

tht was a long shot in positivity of marketing! 

First gig back yesterday at the "Rewired" festival at the Brudenell Social Club. 13 bands playing over the two rooms.  Playing approx 25 mins each, so once the band had finished everyone moved to the other room where the next band started pretty much immediately after. Great day which got pretty lively for the later bands in the evening.

Edited by idb

On 8/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, gigpusher said:

@PadjeqSleeper and The Bluetones last night was really good. We had Sleeper first and The Bluetones as headliners which was my preference as I know The Bluetones much more but I understand they have been swapping that about as they are co-headliners. Both really good. I think Mark Morriss is better at interacting with the crowd but I guess being friends with lots of comedians helps you develop a witty repartee. Very enjoyable and actually met up with some friends at the gig last night and it felt so normal that it was great. One thing to be aware of you did have to show evidence of being double jabbed or a negative test and it did make the queue to get in a bit longer than normal. We were advised to get the app up and take a screenshot on your phone to make it a bit quicker. I suspect by September this will be a normal part of getting into gigs so worth being aware of it and being prepared. 

Thanks for the trip report! Looking forward to it, although having seen the debacle that a ticketless Kasabian gig caused at the brum academy, I'm not looking forward to how they handle the covid checks.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, gigpusher said:

Im off to see them next weekend...  very much looking forward to it..

What time did they start.? (Need to know what time i need to be out of the pub)