First Gig Back

maelzoid

4 minutes ago, ivan said:

on the Lake also cancelled which proper pissed me off as i was so looking forward to seeing em on a outdoor stage.  If anyone from the band or their management reads this then an explanation would be nice. 

Although they were replaced by Cut Capers who I know aren't as big but a decent replacement at such short notice. 

5 hours ago, Barney McGrew said:

Went to Valley Fest at the weekend, Oh My God it's The Church were fantastic (as usual) and Doreen Doreen were brilliant, had a great time!

Have the church changed there set much ?

9 minutes ago, cidy said:

Have the church changed there set much ?

Hey up buddy!

Yeah, they were a girl down (the lovely Sister Mary Joy was absent), not sure why, nothing was said? I think there was only one song without the Reverend (Bang Bang), can't remember much else but it was still crazily uplifting and joyful but definitely a different set to the last time I (we?) saw them. Half of our group had never heard of them before but definitely came away thoroughly cleansed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just dragged my camping gear out of the shed so shit is getting real for Camp Kin this weekend 🙂

My only concern is the weather really...

I went this weekend and the weather was not really an issue.  There was not enough traffic to make any mud.  I’d say that they were only half capacity, not sure what it’s like next weekend.

Hope you enjoy it.  I know I did.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Talking of power banks, anyone know if you can drop off your power banks for recharging anywhere at Worthy Pastures? I'm thinking of getting yet another power bank if not, to see the whole family through the weekend.

You can charge stuff in the info tent. Think they might also have pumps for air beds! 

Just back from 5 nights down there, was really good, if a little different. Spent quite a bit of time working out where I was. 

Random star spot. Paul weller climbing the tor. 

16 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just dragged my camping gear out of the shed so shit is getting real for Camp Kin this weekend 🙂

My only concern is the weather really...

I think I’d much prefer to go to Camp Kin than Worthy Pastures. Last week I stayed one night on the Worthy Pastures, work, campsite, near the cow sheds. The lady there said I needed more references, to work. So I had to leave the following morning. When I got home I stank of manure for days!!

While I was staying there, I got up in the morning and wandered down from the posh washroom, with a laundrette!! It was a spectacular view and I managed to have a nose!!! I could see all the circus tents and the uncovered pyramid. It was really quiet though!! You couldn’t even hear children running around screaming. That was unusual because I would expect that on a, normal, family campsite.

In my opinion, Glastonbury without music, really, isn’t, worth it. I’m glad I got to stay, one, free, night, but I wouldn’t have wanted to stay any longer!!!

Edited by stt11

14 hours ago, tarw said:

I went this weekend and the weather was not really an issue.  There was not enough traffic to make any mud.  I’d say that they were only half capacity, not sure what it’s like next weekend.

Hope you enjoy it.  I know I did.

Great to hear! I think you said before you had an issue with the booking process, glad it got sorted.

What were your highlights/lowlights? Any tips?

32 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Great to hear! I think you said before you had an issue with the booking process, glad it got sorted.

What were your highlights/lowlights? Any tips?

Yes I found the whole booking / cashless registration very awkward but got there in the end.

It was at about half capacity and loads of space but that impacted on the atmosphere.  It was mostly families with youngish children.  

It was very easy to socially distance, if that’s a concern.  The only time that I was in close proximity to anyone was on the dance floor on Saturday.  I did miss the social side as when you sat at a table you did not get to chat to random people, they all sat at their own table.

Hearing live music and dancing in a field ( drunken contortions for me ) were definitely high points for me.

It was NOT a festival but I found it a good way to ease myself back into partying.

Food was v. Good but expensive (£12 a pizza).

Hope you enjoy it.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Yes I found the whole booking / cashless registration very awkward but got there in the end.

It was at about half capacity and loads of space but that impacted on the atmosphere.  It was mostly families with youngish children.  

It was very easy to socially distance, if that’s a concern.  The only time that I was in close proximity to anyone was on the dance floor on Saturday.  I did miss the social side as when you sat at a table you did not get to chat to random people, they all sat at their own table.

Hearing live music and dancing in a field ( drunken contortions for me ) were definitely high points for me.

It was NOT a festival but I found it a good way to ease myself back into partying.

Food was v. Good but expensive (£12 a pizza).

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for this. All sounds pretty good to me! I'm not expecting a proper festival and while I appreciate the atmosphere might be a bit lacking we are going with my clinically vulnerable friend and her kids so the distanced, chilled thing is a definite plus at this point. What sort of time did music etc go on to and was it lights out everywhere pretty early?

I expected the food to be pricey! At least it was good. 

On 8/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, Barney McGrew said:

Went to Valley Fest at the weekend, Oh My God it's The Church were fantastic (as usual) and Doreen Doreen were brilliant, had a great time!

looking forward to 'Oh My God it's The Church' at Lakefest next week

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks for this. All sounds pretty good to me! I'm not expecting a proper festival and while I appreciate the atmosphere might be a bit lacking we are going with my clinically vulnerable friend and her kids so the distanced, chilled thing is a definite plus at this point. What sort of time did music etc go on to and was it lights out everywhere pretty early?

It should certainly be easy for your friend to stay safe.

Music finished at 10ish.  There is a big campfire by the bar and people hung around there and chilled until dawn. There are some woods at the top of the hill with benches fire pit etc.  Apparently the week before it hosted an all night party.

I've done a fair few at this point since July 19th - a festival and 10 or so gigs, so about 50-60 live sets. 

The festival (Latitude, not my usual) felt completely normal once inside and incredible to see sets in gigs and fields again in close proximity to other people again. A couple of the gigs have felt much more of a squeeze and a bit too busy for my liking, but that's usually my impression of mid-sized venues at the best of times. Generally, the grassroots venues have been a joy! 

My very first 'normal' live set was Stephen Fretwell at Rough Trade East on the 19th, which was a beautifully chilled reintroduction! 

1 hour ago, tarw said:

It should certainly be easy for your friend to stay safe.

Music finished at 10ish.  There is a big campfire by the bar and people hung around there and chilled until dawn. There are some woods at the top of the hill with benches fire pit etc.  Apparently the week before it hosted an all night party.

Perfect thank you! We know it's not going to be a full on party as going with kids and fully intending to do yoga and stuff too, but nice to know you can stay up a little later and chat if wanted. Appreciate all the info! 🙂

11 hours ago, stt11 said:

I think I’d much prefer to go to Camp Kin than Worthy Pastures. Last week I stayed one night on the Worthy Pastures, work, campsite, near the cow sheds. The lady there said I needed more references, to work. So I had to leave the following morning. When I got home I stank of manure for days!!

While I was staying there, I got up in the morning and wandered down from the posh washroom, with a laundrette!! It was a spectacular view and I managed to have a nose!!! I could see all the circus tents and the uncovered pyramid. It was really quiet though!! You couldn’t even hear children running around screaming. That was unusual because I would expect that on a, normal, family campsite.

In my opinion, Glastonbury without music, really, isn’t, worth it. I’m glad I got to stay, one, free, night, but I wouldn’t have wanted to stay any longer!!!

Spent the week there including the night camping below the Tor and it was the most fun I have had in 18 months. By some distance

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:07 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

How did the weekend go. Was it busier than the week before?

55 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I return to live music tomorrow with Beans On Toast in Huddersfield. Can't bloody wait!

We saw Beans at ValleyFest and he was joyous to watch following on from the crap we've dealt with this past year and a bit.  You are gonna have a brilliant time!