First Gig Back

maelzoid

I'm in a bit of a catch-22, I know when my first gig back should be, but I don't know when I'll actually attend it. 

I'm double jabbed, have been since March as I was classed in group 4 but (as some of you may know) my youngest falls into a very high risk category. So I have to be extremely cautious, I haven't seen anyone outside of my house or work socially since March last year. 

My first gig back is meant to be Showhawk Duo on 3rd September but I've already offered my tickets to someone.

So after that, it's Biffy Clyro at the end of October but then I have a flurry of gigs: Rhythm of the 90s, The Mysterines, Kid Kapichi, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, Enter Shikari, Wolf Alice, IDLES (X2) and Dry Cleaning all between November to January. I guess I'll see how it goes, but I've loved seeing the pictures and videos from the last week or so as I live vicariously through others!!

I've got Chrissie Hynde warm-up gig at a tiny place in Hoxton tomorrow night and Drug Store Romeos at the Lexington on Wednesday as my first couple of non-socially distanced gigs to go to. I think I am fine about them and all double-jabbed so should be mostly ok but I guess I won't really know how I will feel until I do them. I'm going to have to face it at some point soon as have 31 gigs and comedy shows and an indoor festivally thing to go to between now and Christmas so it might as well start now!

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just realised it's exactly 18 months tonight since my last gig (From The Jam/ The Vapors).

Next definite gig is End of the Road festival 2nd September, although I'm still contemplating going to The Futureheads in August at Gloucester guildhall.

1 hour ago, Skelts said:

How were  From the Jam? Seeing them at Beautiful Days in a few weeks

Funnily enough, I've just got back from watching a The Jam tribute act. Total Jam they were called. Wasn't actually sure if they were going to be a The Jam tribute act or just a band jammin' before I went. Glad it was the former.

Was a bit disappointed they they broke into PW solo stuff in the second half. At least they didn't do any The Style Council (I've never really forgiven PW for splitting up The Jam).

And it cost me fuck all to enter, being just a band in a pub. I may have something to say about this in the ticket prices thread.

Not my first gig back though. The place in question has been doing gigs in the garden since the pubs reopened and as soon as they were allowed to have people inside again they moved the bands indoors as well. Not sure how legal this was. Certainly felt a bit speakeasy at times (the whole "no going to the bar to order" thing was certainly ignored).

9 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I was there too!

I believe that was the gig that inspired Noel to name the band Oasis (he used to roadie for the Inspirals).

So the legend goes, yeah. Obviously I had no idea who he was at the time but I remember Noel walking on stage before the gig started and everyone went nuts thinking the band were coming on coz he had the same pudding bowl haircut as Clint Boon at the time and looked just like him!

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

He’s playing at midday on Sunday FYI - check the electronica and dance thread. 

I will be there 

Thanks mate, but I need to return a negate test in a couple of days, so too big a risk sadly. Have a great time, meet some eFesters, report back and post some pics!

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I was there too!

I believe that was the gig that inspired Noel to name the band Oasis (he used to roadie for the Inspirals).

I heard this too.

I used to go swimming there as a child. It had a wave machine and water slides.

Sadly, it won’t be reopening after COVID. I haven’t been there since the 80s, but I still think it’s a shame.

22 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've actually been to two now, although both were socially distanced. First was Darren Hayman on June 10th, capacity of just 40 and all seated. Bloody lovely to hear live music again and a nice way to ease back in. Second was my partner's pub band at a PTA fundraiser two weeks back. That was socially distanced and in a field although there was definitely a bit of a clump of us dancing towards the end near the front. As it was outdoors it all felt pretty safe anyway. Along with the band the dad DJing was bloody great, playing a lot of old skool dance tunes and it felt like the most cathartic thing ever to be dancing like a loon in a field once more. Very much needed.

Going forward I have Camp Kin in two weeks, which has now had some small bands added, and New Order/Hot Chip at Heaton Park IN September. Both outside. My first non-distanced events are some comedy/drag stuff in September and then Anna Meredith, The Little Unsaid and Nick Cave and Jon Hopkins (several times rescheduled!) in the autumn. 

Would have loved to have gone to a proper festival this summer but I am buzzing for Camp Kin and New Order regardless. I think easing back in has been the best way for me. Very excited to be back at proper gigs in not too long, though.

Just trying to book Camp Kin for next weekend. It will let me book a pitch but not add people or car park pass. @Zoo Music Girl how did you book yours?

6 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I heard this too.

I used to go swimming there as a child. It had a wave machine and water slides.

Sadly, it won’t be reopening after COVID. I haven’t been there since the 80s, but I still think it’s a shame.

I thought he got the name from a flyer on his wall (for a gig at the Swindon Oasis)?

Been to 3 gigs so far this year - Children of Zeus at Hackney Church in May (seated socially distanced but they let us stand and dance) 

Celeste at Union Chapel (fully seated in pews. Every other row) 

Lianne La Havas at Hackney Church (pairs only fully seated)

Next standing gig is Kano at Shepherds Bush for War Child. Will be first one negative lateral flow, fully vaccinated or proof of recent Covid has to be shown.

2 hours ago, tarw said:

Just trying to book Camp Kin for next weekend. It will let me book a pitch but not add people or car park pass. @Zoo Music Girl how did you book yours?

Oh that's weird. Does that maybe mean it's booked up? We booked a while ago and just went through each stage of the booking process, pitch first, then people and extras.

We've had to email them a couple of times since and they are very helpful and quick so maybe drop them a line? info@campkin.org

It seems odd that it would let you book a pitch if no more people tickets available.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, steviewevie said:

Went to small gig last night, Lovely Eggs  at Gorilla in Manchester. Not really my cup of tea but friend had a spare ticket. Definitely a good vibe in there, old punks letting off some steam. A few were wearing masks, most weren't including me. Nice to be able to buy drinks at the bar before, during and after, although in hindsight I could have done with skipping the after bit. Hangover from hell today, unless it's covid.

IMG_20210723_205244.jpg

I was there as well but I bloody love The Lovely Eggs and I had a great time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh that's weird. Does that maybe mean it's booked up? We booked a while ago and just went through each stage of the booking process, pitch first, then people and extras.

We've had to email them a couple of times since and they are very helpful and quick so maybe drop them a line? info@campkin.org

It seems odd that it would let you book a pitch if no more people tickets available.

Actually I've just tried now out of interest and it lets you pick a pitch, people tickets and car pass. Maybe they've since had cancellations freeing them up? Or was just glitchy earlier? Hope you can sort it.

I have a Bluetones / Sleeper double bill at Kentish Town Forum end of August, which should be good..

Elbow at Hammersmith and October Drift in a small Cambridge pub venue a few weeks later..

My daughter has been having the best of times at Latitude this weekend (v jealous)

Got my first gig back on Sunday, going to see Fat White Family and Tim Burgess at the Coventry Cathedral Ruins. Did go to an all day DJ thing on Saturday that was great fun, was a bit nervous going into it what with all the people but that didn't last long once there and the party was in full flow.

Went to Spike Island: The Resurrection on Saturday and it was superb. There was a party like atmosphere as everyone was just pleased to be out enjoying themselves again. As others have said felt emotional at times looking around and seeing everyones happy faces. Yes, it was tribute bands, but the music lives on and many of those weren't even born when these tunes were around and they knew every word. 

14 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I have a Bluetones / Sleeper double bill at Kentish Town Forum end of August, which should be good..

Elbow at Hammersmith and October Drift in a small Cambridge pub venue a few weeks later..

My daughter has been having the best of times at Latitude this weekend (v jealous)

I'm at the Bluetones/Sleeper double bill in Manchester. Funny though I keep remembering gigs I have coming up because I have completely forgotten some of them because it's been so long since I bought the tickets. 

I remembered this morning that I have New Order/Hot Chip/Working Mens Club coming up in September. 

5 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

Went to Spike Island: The Resurrection on Saturday and it was superb. There was a party like atmosphere as everyone was just pleased to be out enjoying themselves again. As others have said felt emotional at times looking around and seeing everyones happy faces. Yes, it was tribute bands, but the music lives on and many of those weren't even born when these tunes were around and they knew every word. 

Nice one, I saw one of the Shiiiiiine guys Facebook living (what I assumed was ) that over the weekend. Looked great!

Depends on if we are strictly counting gigs only. If so, just got a 1/2 price ticket to see Dizzee Rascal at Crystal Palace bowl mid-August.

Before that, have Farmfest on Friday and Saturday.

Before that, have a rescheduled Ed Byrne and Andy Parsons above a pub in Kennington on Weds.

I went to see Frank Turner at the Concorde 2 in Brighton last Wednesday. I have been double jabbed but I did take a Lateral Flow Test in the morning at the request of the both Frank and the venue. I did take my mask with me, but as soon as I arrived I bumped into friends and got a beer and I thought wearing the mask intermittently would not make a much a difference, the LFT request gave me confidence to enjoy myself as normal. It was a mix of masks and non-masks and everyone had a great time. The set was euphoric, there was singing, there was dancing and a little bit of drinking. it's been a few days now and I'll take an LFT today to see if there are any after effects. In the end I felt had to experience it in the best way I could. 

It really was a special night. I have Bloodstock coming up in two and bit weeks and this will be followed by a host of shows I have booked for the autumn. I'll keep a stock of LFTs to check I'm ok before and after gigs, I think this is the way to go for the near future.

I did the Download Pilot, but my next gig is the regular Sisters gig at the Roundhouse early September, then The Specials, Skindred, Bauhaus so far this year. Next year filling up and hoping for the worlds worst clash, I have Rammstein on Glastonbury Sunday but no tickets for the festival.... yet.