First Gig Back

maelzoid

Now that the restrictions are allowing it, gigs are back. This thread is for everyone to share their thoughts and feelings on their first gig back, whether they've already been to one, or will do in the next few weeks.

I have just secured tickets for Sam Fender in Bristol week after next, and I am so hyped. I've not seen him before and the O2 is a relatively small venue, which I think he will soon outgrow. Hypersonic Missiles is one of my favourite albums of the last few years and I think he is a special talent who has the potential to be both huge and enjoy a long career. I'm double jabbed and that's one of the conditions of entry (that or a recent negative test), so I am not at all worried about the virus. That said, they are asking (but not insisting) peopled to wear masks, which I'm not so sure on. I think if everyone around me is wearing, I will, but if the consensus is not to, I won't.

So, who have you seen? Who're you gonna see? What's your experience? 

• Upvote 2

copied and pasted from good news thread FATBOY SLIM .... CHEESE AND GRAIN WED 21st JULY 

Myself age 45 Type 1 Diabetic and isolating during wave 1 went with 3 mates  very few masks ... saw about 3 but with the heat they would have been useless within about ten mins anyway 

So … last min decision to get the tickets for fatboy slim at cheese and grain thanks to parson jack arrived to a massive q with the nerves jangling … some banter in the queue with randoms helped ease me back in … as did the 3 pints before arrival .. stomach was in knots the few hours before the gig tbh … headed in just after 9 and caught some of the warm up acts which were obviously a bit quieter and a better way of easing back in … the bar was rammed however … but I needed a drink .. so what can u do … then went for a wander and met parson jack and his wife … had a yap and headed back in for fatboy which was rammed … hot and sweaty and bouncing … can’t say I completely forgot about covid the last year at work I’ve been actively staying away from people so my mind has been programmed … but I could obviously do nothing … so went along with it obviously 😃cracking gig .. let’s see what the next days bring … 

Daily LFTS still Negative for 2 of us not sure what the other 2 are doing ... but no symptoms for them ... and we were in the mix ... no app ping yet either for any of us ...

oh and this socially distant gig at Thekla in Bristol ... for a band called October Drift 🙂 might have mentioned them before 🙂 

d83af559-a724-42c2-886c-35e539760342.jpg

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 1

Went to small gig last night, Lovely Eggs  at Gorilla in Manchester. Not really my cup of tea but friend had a spare ticket. Definitely a good vibe in there, old punks letting off some steam. A few were wearing masks, most weren't including me. Nice to be able to buy drinks at the bar before, during and after, although in hindsight I could have done with skipping the after bit. Hangover from hell today, unless it's covid.

IMG_20210723_205244.jpg

Edited by steviewevie

Been to one socially distanced gig(Colonel Mustard and the Dijon 5) at fan zone at Glasgow during Euros. Basically picnic tables of 6 spaced apart and you order drinks from an app. Pleasant enough day, but not really the same as going to a proper gig.

Scotland's a bit behind England in easing restrictions. As far as I understand no gigs are going ahead here at the moment. But Nicola Sturgeon has said she hopes almost all Covid restrictions can be lifted on August the 9th. The almost word is a bit worrying but hopefully we can have gigs from then. And if we do my first gig is going to be Declan McKenna on Friday 3rd of September. His last album was one of my favourite albums of 2020 and never seen him before so really looking forward to it. The fact it's on a Friday is icing on the cake. Hopefully the atmosphere will be amazing.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Went to small gig last night, Lovely Eggs  at Gorilla in Manchester. Not really my cup of tea but friend had a spare ticket. Definitely a good vibe in there, old punks letting off some steam. A few were wearing masks, most weren't including me. Nice to be able to buy drinks at the bar before, during and after, although in hindsight I could have done with skipping the after bit. Hangover from hell today, unless it's covid.

IMG_20210723_205244.jpg

Love The Lovely Eggs. We had tickets for the Bristol gig next Saturday. Unfortunately with a newborn grandson due any minute ( currently 9 days overdue) it didn’t seem sensible, not with the rates of infection in the city. Ah well there will be other gigs.

I've actually been to two now, although both were socially distanced. First was Darren Hayman on June 10th, capacity of just 40 and all seated. Bloody lovely to hear live music again and a nice way to ease back in. Second was my partner's pub band at a PTA fundraiser two weeks back. That was socially distanced and in a field although there was definitely a bit of a clump of us dancing towards the end near the front. As it was outdoors it all felt pretty safe anyway. Along with the band the dad DJing was bloody great, playing a lot of old skool dance tunes and it felt like the most cathartic thing ever to be dancing like a loon in a field once more. Very much needed.

Going forward I have Camp Kin in two weeks, which has now had some small bands added, and New Order/Hot Chip at Heaton Park IN September. Both outside. My first non-distanced events are some comedy/drag stuff in September and then Anna Meredith, The Little Unsaid and Nick Cave and Jon Hopkins (several times rescheduled!) in the autumn. 

Would have loved to have gone to a proper festival this summer but I am buzzing for Camp Kin and New Order regardless. I think easing back in has been the best way for me. Very excited to be back at proper gigs in not too long, though.

• Like 1

I’ve been to a few small gigs, at Yes in Manchester and the Met in Bury, all socially distanced, inevitably lack a certain energy but enjoyable nonetheless. Have been in big crowds for other events and I welcome being back to that! 

Biggest gigs later in the year, hopefully, Genesis and then Elton. That’ll be a whole different story. 

Oh, and also, our local festival is returning on a smaller scale in September (800 capacity rather than the 5000 previously), and I’ve just been asked to run the volunteers team so I expect I’ll be required to be very safety conscious and ensure all of the team are well safeguarded. 

Not back in action until October, then working to a “one a month” policy for the the foreseeable.

October - Genesis

November - Suede, Reg (yes, two, but they were rescheduled)

December - The Libertines

January - Wolf Alice

March - Royal Blood

May - Partridge

Plus that Pet Shop Boys gig to squeeze in somewhere too.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've actually been to two now, although both were socially distanced. First was Darren Hayman on June 10th, capacity of just 40 and all seated. Bloody lovely to hear live music again and a nice way to ease back in. Second was my partner's pub band at a PTA fundraiser two weeks back. That was socially distanced and in a field although there was definitely a bit of a clump of us dancing towards the end near the front. As it was outdoors it all felt pretty safe anyway. Along with the band the dad DJing was bloody great, playing a lot of old skool dance tunes and it felt like the most cathartic thing ever to be dancing like a loon in a field once more. Very much needed.

Going forward I have Camp Kin in two weeks, which has now had some small bands added, and New Order/Hot Chip at Heaton Park IN September. Both outside. My first non-distanced events are some comedy/drag stuff in September and then Anna Meredith, The Little Unsaid and Nick Cave and Jon Hopkins (several times rescheduled!) in the autumn. 

Would have loved to have gone to a proper festival this summer but I am buzzing for Camp Kin and New Order regardless. I think easing back in has been the best way for me. Very excited to be back at proper gigs in not too long, though.

Where you seeing Anna Meredith? Is she good live?  She's playing band on the wall in manc in November, tempted.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Wanna go see Daniel Avery at an all-dayer at Fabric tomorrow but too scared to as I'm going to Farmfest next Friday, then Cornwall for a week. So I'm going to the cinema instead. Great.

He’s playing at midday on Sunday FYI - check the electronica and dance thread. 

I will be there 

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Where you seeing Anna Meredith? Is she good live?  She's playing band on the wall in manc in November, tempted.

Part of the Pitchfork festival thing, at Fabric (a nightclub! Been a loooong while since I've been there). I saw her and her awesome band at the 6music festival in March 2020 and she blew me away. Highly recommended! 

We did Wolf Alice on Thursday. My wife and I are both mid 40's, double jabbed and had the virus back in February via my wife's nursery.  Felt real good being there as soon as we joined the really long queue to be honest.  Handful of mask wearers (not us) and it was pretty much perfect, Wolf Alice were mega, atmosphere was electric and at times very emotional, everyone was so happy to be there including the band. 

4 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Love The Lovely Eggs. We had tickets for the Bristol gig next Saturday. Unfortunately with a newborn grandson due any minute ( currently 9 days overdue) it didn’t seem sensible, not with the rates of infection in the city. Ah well there will be other gigs.

Ooh, slightly early congrats Dee!

Was going to be The Streets last Monday but was sadly pushed forward to January.

Next up is Little Simz in November (hopefully). Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The War on Drugs, Jade Bird, Yumi Zouma and Slowthai booked in for 2022 too.

Very excited!

Went to a very small gig today and really enjoyed Drop in the Ocean. Ska/reggae band who killed it. Never heard of them before but I signed up to Altitude festival next weekend on the strength of them alone. It’ll be a warm up for beautiful days 👍

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just realised it's exactly 18 months tonight since my last gig (From The Jam/ The Vapors).

Next definite gig is End of the Road festival 2nd September, although I'm still contemplating going to The Futureheads in August at Gloucester guildhall.

How were  From the Jam? Seeing them at Beautiful Days in a few weeks

3 minutes ago, Skelts said:

How were  From the Jam? Seeing them at Beautiful Days in a few weeks

They were decent. They were playing Setting Sons in full which isn't my favourite Jam album. I preferred it when they did a few greatest hits at the end of their set. I was there mainly to see The Vapors (coincidentally the first band I ever saw in 1981).

Also, it was at Cheltenham town hall, which is notoriously shit for sound quality!

4 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

They were decent. They were playing Setting Sons in full which isn't my favourite Jam album. I preferred it when they did a few greatest hits at the end of their set. I was there mainly to see The Vapors (coincidentally the first band I ever saw in 1981).

Also, it was at Cheltenham town hall, which is notoriously shit for sound quality!

Cheers. As it’s a festival, I guess I’ll see them playing a greatest hits type gig rather than an album.

(My first gig was Inspiral Carpets at the oasis in Swindon, 1991)