Olympic Games 2020

Punksnotdead

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Damn it’s a foxtrot 😒

That was some run by the Plastic Fox, fair play to her though she deserved it, first in the qualifier and backed it up in the final.  Great effort Mallory though, a silver is great considering she only qualified 6th.

41 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Amazing work from Shriever and Whyte! Love the BMX racing. 

Yes tremendous, very little lottery funding and had to work as a teaching assistant and crowd fund to even get to the games.  Sheer joy on their faces. Hopefully this will help get more funding for a sport that is open to all. 

Getting a bit fed up with the BBC only showing sports that GB are doing well in & then going back to the studio to talk about it for hours - Dan Walker is an absolute tit - just show some fucking sport, instead of talking about it!

I've decided to switch to eurosport from now on.

Btw, I'm not usually one of those idiots who always bang on about how shit the BBC is!

14 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Getting a bit fed up with the BBC only showing sports that GB are doing well in & then going back to the studio to talk about it for hours - Dan Walker is an absolute tit - just show some fucking sport, instead of talking about it!

Btw, I'm not usually one of those idiots who always bang on about how shit the BBC is!

I think a lot of it is down to what broadcast rights the BBC have this time around, which is why Eurosport's got the whole multi-channel thing that the BBC had previously.

38 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

BBC contract not as good, they haven't got as much money to spend on stuff these days.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they can only show two live events, so are bound to pick the ones we're more likely to win a medal in.

Absolutely no problem with that. What I don't like is Dan w*nker & his sidekick waffling on about it for hours, when they could be showing live sport.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Rowing , 27 million lottery funding, one silver one bronze

BMX , had to crowdfund for cash, one gold one silver. 

Rowing has had plenty of success since the lottery funding started, so it would have been very unfair to strip the funding based on what may happen prior to these games. That isn't to agree that not funding other "niche" sports isn't the right approach. You can bet that mountain biking and BMX will be back on the lottery money list ahead of Paris now.

Point being, we'd still be stupid to strip money out of rowing, we have a good legacy and there are plenty of medals always up for grabs. It's one of the few sports where UK have a big advantage with living on an island with stacks full of rivers. 

16 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Rowing has had plenty of success since the lottery funding started, so it would have been very unfair to strip the funding based on what may happen prior to these games. That isn't to agree that not funding other "niche" sports isn't the right approach. You can bet that mountain biking and BMX will be back on the lottery money list ahead of Paris now.

Point being, we'd still be stupid to strip money out of rowing, we have a good legacy and there are plenty of medals always up for grabs. It's one of the few sports where UK have a big advantage with living on an island with stacks full of rivers. 

Yeah agree rowing has been great for us lots of 4th placings so not far from a decent medal haul … it’s strange how some sports seem to do well at different times … and others completely flop … and my sporting hero Steve Redgrave is a rower … how the hell he did all he did with type 1 diabetes is absolutely incredible 

32 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Yes, see your point! Hopefully by Paris rowing will be back on course

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah agree rowing has been great for us lots of 4th placings so not far from a decent medal haul … it’s strange how some sports seem to do well at different times … and others completely flop …

The rowing coach that has been around for years left a while back, which may have a short term affect

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah agree rowing has been great for us lots of 4th placings so not far from a decent medal haul … it’s strange how some sports seem to do well at different times … and others completely flop … and my sporting hero Steve Redgrave is a rower … how the hell he did all he did with type 1 diabetes is absolutely incredible 

Interestingly (and, quite honestly, terrifyingly) the sadly missed Jonah Lomu once said that due to his kidney condition, even at his physical peak when he was absolutely dominating the sport, he never operated beyond about 85% of his capacity. What he could have done without that limitation is mind-boggling.