Olympic Games 2020

Punksnotdead

Two fun facts about Flora Duffy becoming Bermuda's first ever Olympic champion - in women's triathlon:

1. It means Bermuda is now the smallest country, population-wise, ever to win a Summer Olympic title

2. The distance of an Olympic triathlon is longer than the island of Bermuda itself!

Edited by waltere
  • Upvote 2

Loving the Olympics, the rugby 7s game earlier was a cracker and really got into the Taekwondo this time round although I don't quite spot all the scoring points.

I didn't really get the skate boarding yesterday, considering the competitors are the elite in their sport they all just seemed to fall off.

Can't wait for the cycling and athletics to start.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

Loving the Olympics, the rugby 7s game earlier was a cracker and really got into the Taekwondo this time round although I don't quite spot all the scoring points.

I didn't really get the skate boarding yesterday, considering the competitors are the elite in their sport they all just seemed to fall off.

I mean, yes they did. But then some of the rugby players dropped the ball or missed a tackle. Gymnasts sometimes don't stick a landing. The archers the other day didn't all hit consistent 10s. And they're all pretty elite?

There's nowhere to hide in skateboarding. It's not like in rugby where play carries on after a knock on, or even gymnastics when you catch your balance by taking a step back (and getting scored down for it!) You're basically standing on a ruler with wheels, any balance mistake and you're off.

I get that skateboarding's going to take time to get accepted, but people are very quick to write it off.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I get that skateboarding's going to take time to get accepted, but people are very quick to write it off.

I love it, the skills are amazing. Even in slow mo I can’t figure out how they do some of the tricks! Sorcery is involved. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Softball is just rounders isn’t it?  Classic school PE game.  Why change the name 

Having for some reason played it at school 15 years ago in PE it is definitely not it is a huge ball that is very much impossible to catch without a mitt, surprised its an Olympic sport though!

30 minutes ago, Skelts said:

I love it, the skills are amazing. Even in slow mo I can’t figure out how they do some of the tricks! Sorcery is involved. 

Indeed. Getting the damn thing off the ground is enough for me, but then to actually be able to make it spin around in the way that they want just with their feet is madness. It's always amazed me.

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I mean, yes they did. But then some of the rugby players dropped the ball or missed a tackle. Gymnasts sometimes don't stick a landing. The archers the other day didn't all hit consistent 10s. And they're all pretty elite?

There's nowhere to hide in skateboarding. It's not like in rugby where play carries on after a knock on, or even gymnastics when you catch your balance by taking a step back (and getting scored down for it!) You're basically standing on a ruler with wheels, any balance mistake and you're off.

I think it's because they only skate for what seems like a very short time I expected more of them to get round without coming off.  If I could compare it to anything I guess it would be the snowboarding where they do the tricks on the rails etc and they don't seem to come off as much.

Granted I'd be lucky to travel 5 metres on a skateboard never mind do any tricks so by no way commenting as an expect!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

V popular in Japan is maybe a good reason.

1 hour ago, Ashl said:

Having for some reason played it at school 15 years ago in PE it is definitely not it is a huge ball that is very much impossible to catch without a mitt, surprised its an Olympic sport though!

Softball returned to being an olympic sport. They took it off their events after 2008. Although its apparently only there for these games and then itll be evaluated again. Softball with a crowd is really what you need to watch. In the u.s. we just had the college softball championships and it was really exciting. Look at it this way, most americans think cricket is boring as hell. And most brits think baseball or softball is boring as hell. Yet if youre a fan of either sport you will argue that its a great and exciting sport. so lets leave it at that.

I dont know why anyone would think skateboarding was going to not deliver. 2 13 year olds just showed the world that theyre coming and the future is bright. Wait in 3 years when the young competitors have gotten even better. Nike did a great job on the uniforms for the countries they sponsored. The U.S. needs them instead of Ralph Lauren trying to make us look like the rich villians from a disney movie who take over the world from a yacht.

18 hours ago, Quark said:

Andy Burnham complained about the skateboarding and got a barrage of abuse for not supporting sports that can actually be played by working class people. 

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Andy Burnham complained about the skateboarding and got a barrage of abuse for not supporting sports that can actually be played by working class people. 

Poor really. I’m always a bit iffy with sports that can be judged subjectively, but skateboarding is hardly an outlier in that regard. And surely more people skateboard in the world than snowboard, which has been an Olympic sport since the year dot. All for keeping it with the times.