Olympic Games 2020

Punksnotdead

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I usually love the Olympics and drink in as much of it as I possibly can when it's on, but I just have zero enthusiasm for it this year. Mixture of empty stadia, pullouts and caveats due to COVID and an inconvenient timezone mean I just cannot be arsed with it.

Time zones, the Covid situation, and the sheer organisational mess of it all is one to watch. I’m going to watch because… I love sport and Team GB will likely do well, but yeah it’s not the same.

Gutted for the Japanese that they’re not able to host this properly. A normal Olympics in Tokyo would be absolutely wild. This opening ceremony just feels soulless and quite sad. I suspect this won’t do well at all in the ratings compared to usual.

8 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Still won’t beat our games in 2012

2681D6D7-0FE0-4B1C-A4D8-12A1CE27EFDE.jpeg

I loved London 2012, had not long moved down to the Smoke and managed to go to so much stuff - went to football at Wembley, basketball at the O2, synchronised swimming at the Aquatics Centre. Went to a few 9am hockey matches just so that we could spend all day in the Olympic Park afterwards.

Best bit was being in the main stadium to see Usain Bolt win gold in the 200m.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I loved London 2012, had not long moved down to the Smoke and managed to go to so much stuff - went to football at Wembley, basketball at the O2, synchronised swimming at the Aquatics Centre. Went to a few 9am hockey matches just so that we could spend all day in the Olympic Park afterwards.

Best bit was being in the main stadium to see Usain Bolt win gold in the 200m.

It was amazing. Was so proud to volunteer at the park and fortunate enough to blag my way in to every stadium 😂

I was there that night as well, but Mo’s final night was the most amazing night ever.

As a former hockey player I enjoyed the matches as well. It was the best 3 weeks ever.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Women’s cycling for me today … quite a performance from the Austrian to get in early break and then solo it for 40k to the finish …. Holding off a very mighty Dutch team 

This has been really exciting. Heard that the Dutch team forgot about her. She started professional but did not like it with all these competitive things and went back to the amateur sports because she does it more for fun, also has a doctor degree in mathematics, but yeah, until these days I did not know this about her, guess that nearly no austrian did, but yes, what a race!