Gig Ticket Prices

st dan

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And as for prices, I found some old ticket stubs I kept.   a quid for Led Zeppelin at their best compared to the mega bucks paid for that reunion gig they did isn’t bad

106AA399-DA70-4B6F-94AE-DA0617283B78.thumb.jpeg.c56597047fa823540b37c95426dd448c.jpeg

some great Gigs in there

we have to remember though that £1 was about 3weeks work back then 😉

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And as for prices, I found some old ticket stubs I kept.   a quid for Led Zeppelin at their best compared to the mega bucks paid for that reunion gig they did isn’t bad

106AA399-DA70-4B6F-94AE-DA0617283B78.thumb.jpeg.c56597047fa823540b37c95426dd448c.jpeg

Love the idea of everyone watching Led Zep on their own divan bed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Love the idea of everyone watching Led Zep on their own divan bed

It was a converted cinema turned into an iconic gig venue. Divan seats were two seats slightly angled towards each other without an armrest between them.  Designed to make heavy petting between consenting couples easier.  But not much good for teenage headbangers like us trying to stand on them and invariably breaking them or falling down the row in front.   Ah the memories! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It was a converted cinema turned into an iconic gig venue. Divan seats were two seats slightly angled towards each other without an armrest between them.  Designed to make heavy petting between consenting couples easier.  But not much good for teenage headbangers like us trying to stand on them and invariably breaking them or falling down the row in front.   Ah the memories! 

Divan seats sounds like something they should bring back, they’d probably charge an extra £50 for them though.

23 hours ago, mph said:

Football/gigs is a shit analogy, most gigs you know you will have a good time because you know what you will get, you leave happy. Most matches I went to I left pissed off 

Support a better club, thats solves lots of problems. And sport is the only other thing next to gigs which can involve loads of people and you have to figure out how much youre willing to pay for the experience. We're going to involve theater, comedy, opera, ballet? Theyre all set up in a certain way to give the same result. Sports and gigs are the unpredictable ones and obviously provide a varying range of memories and emotions.

12 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Support a better club, thats solves lots of problems.

Easier said than done.  Football is an emotional attachment. Win lose or draw, promotion or relegation, you just can’t turn away from something you have supported all your life. You live in hope! Whereas music is based on your current taste, its an easy decision whether or not to see a band.  

Edit, Glastonbury is an exception, it has a tremendous emotional attachment! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

“Support a better club” 

ffs, that’s ridiculous 😂 it’s literally impossible, I’m well over three decades embedded into my particular set of useless twats. You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of support. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

“Support a better club” 

ffs, that’s ridiculous 😂 it’s literally impossible, I’m well over three decades embedded into my particular set of useless twats. You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of support. 

Having read their post I've thrown my Southampton season tickets in the bin, bought a Chelsea kit and now support them instead. All those memories of great escapes, back to back promotions, the 6 European away days I went to, the finals and semis at Wembley were such a waste of time. What was I thinking?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, benali said:

Having read their post I've thrown my Southampton season tickets in the bin, bought a Chelsea kit and now support them instead. All those memories of great escapes, back to back promotions, the 6 European away days I went to, the finals and semis at Wembley were such a waste of time. What was I thinking?

Who knows mate? We all have to get aboard Chelsea and abandon any thoughts of supporting any other useless club. It’ll be Man City the year after and probably Newcastle the year after that so at least it’ll be varied! It’ll be a right bugger getting tickets though, seeing as we’ll all be supporting the same club, but at least it’ll be successful 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, fred quimby said:

some great Gigs in there

we have to remember though that £1 was about 3weeks work back then 😉

Yep my parents mortgage was about £2 I believe so if I had to pay half a mortgage payment for a gig these days that would be a lot!!!

On 10/30/2021 at 11:04 PM, balti-pie said:

“Support a better club” 

It's a really interesting one though on an intellectual level. People who deem themselves to be 'real' football fans for example tend to follow shit teams that play bad football. That wouldn't translate to any other hobby. Imagine saying that you are such a big food fan that you eat meals by people who patently can't cook and it tastes horrible. 

It is more akin to religion which I always say to my devoutly atheist husband 😄 

Never really get the football/gig comparisons, totally different beasts but I guess with a tour you can try and pick a decent venue on a night that suits!

Just seen Red Rum Club in Grimsby this evening for about £14 quid, buy one get one free! Full to the brim, great to see. Football will survive, small venues might not. Gotta do our bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Too right. We've got ten gigs lined up between now and Glastonbury. Gerry Cinnamon is the biggest name on the list by a distance. 

We are looking at a combined ticket cost of £400 for those gigs, all at small venues. Because of where we live we need accommodation after each. Plus fuel to get there. 

Bottom line is, we will probably only go to two of them, and that will still cost us £300+

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Current edition of ‘Last Week Tonight…’ is about ticket pricing and the shitty industry practices.

Spoiler… Ticketmaster are evil.

Ooh goody, that's our Tuesday night viewing. I'll be looking forward to that even more than usual now.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

love your photo 

First time I saw the Stones was in Glasgow either 1966 or 1967 - it was either
The Green's Playhouse or the Odeon - my two older brothers took me for my Birthday { so I was between 12 or 14 } - I still have the ticket { somewhere } and it was between 35 pence and 50 pence { 10 bob as it was then } and ' there was two Bands on before the Stones '

By 1971 prices were higher - 70 pence !!! - Green's Playhouse ' and yes I was there - there was some times ' they would do two shows per day ' I kid you not - This Is Not My Ticket Stub {but it is from 1971} 

Green's Playhouse was a interesting place - renamed  The Glasgow Apollo on the 8th September 1973. First ever gig at the Apollo was  Johnny Cash on the 5 and 6 September 1973 - followed by The Rolling Stones on the 16 September 1973

Never did I get up to Clouds - my name was on the House guest list {its a long story} so it should have been easy but each time I tried there as always a big battle between Punters and Security so would give it a miss + there was a disco close to it that was not well knowing so did not attract the Nutters.

1971_03_08.thumb.jpg.2ba585bdd4e33a267ad27fa3ac5b4255.jpg

• 1 month later...