Gig Ticket Prices

st dan

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, benali said:

If that's true then it's horrendous.

£90 and some of those people won't even be in the same postcode as the stage.

I paid £160 for 2 tickets 5 years ago for one arena date and that had only her performing. You know youre getting 10 more artists on the line up, so where is the problem with the price? Pearl Jam costs 10 less than Adele but originally had no problem selling out. Everyone was all over the Taylor Swift date and you likely hear zero complaints about the cost cause it was probably the same as Adele. If you want to complain about the location, ok that is fair, other than that, youre getting a series of gigs that people would pay the same money for cause of everyone in one day.

Edited by Suprefan

To be fair to Pearl Jam they cost £70+fees and for that you can get in front of stage unlike the Adele day where you would have to pay £275 for golden circle for the equivalent area so not really the same.

Christ! I just looked at the Adele BST map just for fun and one of the gold areas isn't even in front of stage! Thats split between one other gold area and the diamond tickets that are £380! That's mad!

Edited by cdm22

On 10/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, John the Moth said:

There’s extra context which might help understand why I think it’s particularly rough.

I am of course in New Zealand, and when the big overseas acts come here, it’s to 1 or 2 cities usually, rarely 3. Tool and Eilish played / is playing Auckland only. The demand comes from all over the country, so for many, attending gigs means taking 1 or 2 days off work if it’s midweek (flights and hotels too, but of course day of the week is not so relevant).

Most folks try for the first announced date for fomo. Needless to say when Tool’s second date (Saturday) came on sale less than an hour after the first, the ire on social media was palpable.

I remember when I lived in NZ just how big a deal it was for one of the major acts to come and play their 1/2 nights. And if someone actually came to the South Island, everyone lost their minds. I happened to be visiting Auckland when Metallica played there. It was crazy. I swear everyone in Auckland apart from me was wearing a Metallica T-shirt those two days and it was all anyone seemed to be talking about

10 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I paid £160 for 2 tickets 5 years ago for one arena date and that had only her performing. You know youre getting 10 more artists on the line up, so where is the problem with the price? Pearl Jam costs 10 less than Adele but originally had no problem selling out. Everyone was all over the Taylor Swift date and you likely hear zero complaints about the cost cause it was probably the same as Adele. If you want to complain about the location, ok that is fair, other than that, youre getting a series of gigs that people would pay the same money for cause of everyone in one day.

You are never going to convince me that's not a rip off. If you want it's easy to compare 10 bands for £90+ to, I dunno, 30 bands for £40 which is what something like Wide Awake Festival costs for a day.

Say you wanted to take the family for the day? That's £400 for tickets, because there won't be cheaper tickets for kids, plus no doubt insane food and drink prices. So maybe £500+ for one day at a gig? You'd end up racking up the sort of money that wouldn't far off cover the ticket price for a family of 4 to go to a whole weekend festival.

Obviously I don't want to go or take my kids because fortunately their music taste means they wouldn't want to stand around in a massive park all day waiting to listen to someone warbling on about their relationship breakup.

My friends asked me if I wanted to see Swedish House Mafia. Then we found out tickets were £97.70 for standing (before booking fees). We all decided they weren't worth that. Think it would be a fun night, but I'm only willing to pay that for a massive act I really love, not SHM.

Curious if it sells out, it is their comeback tour so maybe will be popular enough to fill the Hydro. Though last time I paid anywhere near that amount to go to the Hydro was Eric Clapton and he never came close to filling it. Which makes you wonder if some acts would make more money if they reduced their ticket prices.

8 hours ago, benali said:

You are never going to convince me that's not a rip off. If you want it's easy to compare 10 bands for £90+ to, I dunno, 30 bands for £40 which is what something like Wide Awake Festival costs for a day.

Say you wanted to take the family for the day? That's £400 for tickets, because there won't be cheaper tickets for kids, plus no doubt insane food and drink prices. So maybe £500+ for one day at a gig? You'd end up racking up the sort of money that wouldn't far off cover the ticket price for a family of 4 to go to a whole weekend festival.

Obviously I don't want to go or take my kids because fortunately their music taste means they wouldn't want to stand around in a massive park all day waiting to listen to someone warbling on about their relationship breakup.

Yet you would spend that same amount of money so see a Premeir League Match if you took the family. Thats only for 2 hours of sport. So where is the value in going to see some football then? I dont wanna hear “it’s different”. It is still entertainment and nobody is bothered with a top tier player making £30 million a season as long as they keep winning.

5 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

My friends asked me if I wanted to see Swedish House Mafia. Then we found out tickets were £97.70 for standing (before booking fees). We all decided they weren't worth that. Think it would be a fun night, but I'm only willing to pay that for a massive act I really love, not SHM.

Curious if it sells out, it is their comeback tour so maybe will be popular enough to fill the Hydro. Though last time I paid anywhere near that amount to go to the Hydro was Eric Clapton and he never came close to filling it. Which makes you wonder if some acts would make more money if they reduced their ticket prices.

That is all theyre asking? Hahaha, youre lucky. Coast for standing in North America below.

Also in America we do it a lot different. we present to you ticket NFT’s when you go to Swedish House Mafia. 

3041103B-FFD7-42A1-B046-629EE799A379.jpeg

457D20AD-2629-4BB1-9432-202E3A58585A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Yet you would spend that same amount of money so see a Premeir League Match if you took the family. Thats only for 2 hours of sport. So where is the value in going to see some football then? I dont wanna hear “it’s different”. It is still entertainment and nobody is bothered with a top tier player making £30 million a season as long as they keep winning.

That is all theyre asking? Hahaha, youre lucky. Coast for standing in North America below.

Also in America we do it a lot different. we present to you ticket NFT’s when you go to Swedish House Mafia. 

3041103B-FFD7-42A1-B046-629EE799A379.jpeg

457D20AD-2629-4BB1-9432-202E3A58585A.jpeg

America is undoubtedly a corporate hell hole for music fans, but some of the ticket prices in the U.K. are catching up. Nearly £100 for SHM is insanity. 

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I have season tickets with my kids at Southampton, it's about £50 per game for the 3 of us but would be over £270 if we all went to see Adele.

Football matches, like festivals, have different prices for kids which is something large one day gigs don't.

You won't sit miles away from the pitch at football unless you are in the away section at Newcastle or at the back of the top tier at Wembley.

At football you never see the same game twice, but if you followed a band around you'd see plenty of set lists that were exactly the same. It's also very unlikely that anyone does that to the extent that they are watching the same band 30 times a year which shows how different it is to support a football team.

Personally I think the wages payed to Premier League footballers are obscene and I don't know a football fan that thinks otherwise.

5 minutes ago, mph said:

Football/gigs is a shit analogy, most gigs you know you will have a good time because you know what you will get, you leave happy. Most matches I went to I left pissed off 

Also think most would agree that the difference in ability between a non league footballer and a Premiership footballer is massive. Where as music is a lot more subjective and quite often I think the acts playing smaller venues are just as talented as those playing arenas. Which is personally why for the most part I'd rather go to 4 or 5 gigs at small to medium sized venues than one arena gig.

It's only arena size venues that I find overpriced personally. Smaller acts/venues I actually sometimes end up concerned how  little I'm paying and worry how the band will survive.

9 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Also think most would agree that the difference in ability between a non league footballer and a Premiership footballer is massive. Where as music is a lot more subjective and quite often I think the acts playing smaller venues are just as talented as those playing arenas. Which is personally why for the most part I'd rather go to 4 or 5 gigs at small to medium sized venues than one arena gig.

It's only arena size venues that I find overpriced personally. Smaller acts/venues I actually sometimes end up concerned how  little I'm paying and worry how the band will survive.

I assume most bands playing £10 gigs in your local venues would have other jobs, much like a lot of non-league footballers.

Not sure the bands lose out on gigs, they get a set fee I'd have thought? Probably the promotors who are taking a hit if ticket sales don't cover band and venue costs.

Agree about music being subjective. I'll have more fun at tonight's Silverbacks gig than I ever could have watching Adele for 9 times the price.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zero000 said:

America is undoubtedly a corporate hell hole for music fans, but some of the ticket prices in the U.K. are catching up. Nearly £100 for SHM is 

First show here for 8 years as the 3 of them, I was expecting more to be honest. Bet Calvin Harris would be more. Remember paying nearly £70 to see Tiesto at Victoria Park few years back.

16 hours ago, mph said:

Football/gigs is a shit analogy, most gigs you know you will have a good time because you know what you will get, you leave happy. Most matches I went to I left pissed off 

Yes. Tend to agree with that. Going to a gig it’s very possible that you will be seeing a favourite band that you could have been waiting for several years to hear and might not see again for a long time.  Going to see your football team can happen 20 times a year. Just like you I’ve had more downs than ups at the footy!  Unless it’s been a very special match, gigs and especially festivals tend to be more memorable.  I still have vivid and happy memories of gigs I was at over 40 years ago. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris