Gig Ticket Prices

st dan

26 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Oh I was saying the value of a festival looks better the higher ticket prices go not that I’ll only go to a festival. 

I know. My point is though that Glastonbury doesn't book all kinds of music so I can't just say oh yeah Glastonburys value. Yes it us but it's not so cut and dry.

Being a sad spreadsheet, I make a note of the bands I see at festivals - and how much it all cost. Per band, it's about £20ish. (2019, 26 bands seen, £500ish cost all in). Works out the same for festivals like Download/Rock Werchter - all about the same per band cost - worst case about £25ish on average. But, those "gigs" are on average shorter, and a lot you'd not pay to see.

Crikey I fell asleep in the middle of this boring post, zzzzzz, I've become an energy vampire.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Just paid over £45 to see James next month at the o2 academy in Oxford!

I'm pretty sure they were charging that sort of price for their last couple of tours.

Nick Cave prices do seem to have gone up a lot recently. No seats less than £100 for anything on a lower level at the Albert Hall (and almost as much for the front few rows in the top levels) certainly makes it easier for me not to go this time. 

Just now, cdm22 said:

I'm pretty sure they were charging that sort of price for their last couple of tours.

Nick Cave prices do seem to have gone up a lot recently. No seats less than £100 for anything on a lower level at the Albert Hall (and almost as much for the front few rows in the top levels) certainly makes it easier for me not to go this time. 

Last time I saw James at one of their own gigs I think the price was £35 and that was 2014 ish so you're probably right!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Being a sad spreadsheet, I make a note of the bands I see at festivals - and how much it all cost. Per band, it's about £20ish. (2019, 26 bands seen, £500ish cost all in). Works out the same for festivals like Download/Rock Werchter - all about the same per band cost - worst case about £25ish on average. But, those "gigs" are on average shorter, and a lot you'd not pay to see.

Crikey I fell asleep in the middle of this boring post, zzzzzz, I've become an energy vampire.

Do you want to talk about Pivots tables, I liked to format mine in the classic style! 😜

For accuracy you should be including support bands at a gig to come up with the average price so you can weigh it against the price of a fest properly.

• Upvote 1

comparing gig tickets to footy tickets is about right, they're broadly similar experiences with the travel, the beers, the buildup etc - but then i havnt ever gone to a gig and walked out with twenty minutes to go, furious at the pathetic lack of effort and enjoyment for my shelled out ££ - the vagaries of being a Spurs fan i guess 🤣 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

comparing gig tickets to footy tickets is about right, they're broadly similar experiences with the travel, the beers, the buildup etc - but then i havnt ever gone to a gig and walked out with twenty minutes to go, furious at the pathetic lack of effort and enjoyment for my shelled out ££ - the vagaries of being a Spurs fan i guess 🤣 

You paid to watch a football match, they didn't say it'd be good.

51 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

...but then i havnt ever gone to a gig and walked out with twenty minutes to go, furious at the pathetic lack of effort and enjoyment for my shelled out ££

I left Bob Dylan at Hyde Park. Probably with forty minutes to go. They should have let Shakey headline.

57 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I left Bob Dylan at Hyde Park. Probably with forty minutes to go. They should have let Shakey headline.

In 2010 I went to a hip hop club night in Oxford that had a guest set from Jurassic 5’s Akil.....me and two friends left a lot earlier than everyone else we went with but that was because we were all gurning our faces off and security caught my mate with a wrap and the other two of us taking a dab each.

Wasn't great coming up like fuck whilst stood in the security office having my ID taken. 😞

On 7/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, Suprefan said:

You lot dont have booking fees like we do across the pond. I never wanna hear that complaint. You’re not getting charged 40% of the ticket cost in fees like we are.

costs are up cause covid insurance is the problem. And international acts are going to cost a bit more too cause of everything at the moment.

But are things actually more expensive then in other countries or is the balance of up front fee Vs processing fee just different?

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

But are things actually more expensive then in other countries or is the balance of up front fee Vs processing fee just different?

Overall, probably. But there was probably some consistency in pricing for a while but not anymore.

lest I forget we have the greatest crime being committed all the time which is “platinum tickets”. Its literally ticketmaster just upcharging right in front of you and veiled as a more secure option. Dynamic pricing took over the market a few years ago and now its the norm.  Tell me in what world is this ticket which was $250 face value worth this much cause the algorithm determines demand ?

BC583F83-4A33-4363-81A9-2DA7D5832928.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Overall, probably. But there was probably some consistency in pricing for a while but not anymore.

lest I forget we have the greatest crime being committed all the time which is “platinum tickets”. Its literally ticketmaster just upcharging right in front of you and veiled as a more secure option. Dynamic pricing took over the market a few years ago and now its the norm.  Tell me in what world is this ticket which was $250 face value worth this much cause the algorithm determines demand ?

I know. I was prepared to pay $6,500 but that’s too much.

6 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Yep it's silly money (I paid it this time around as I'm looking at it as a treat after so long without a gig, but I can't justify that every time). Will be interested to see if it sells out.

9 hours ago, fred quimby said:

aye. But I wonder when the good times come back they will reduce this. I think I know the answer

Itll take a while if it even does. Insurance is the biggest thing right now. No artist or promoter wants to be responsible for being a super spreader. But the covid waiver that is even getting put in our faces over here barely does the job anyway. Thats why festival prices went up a bit. Cost was passed onto us. 

Edited by Suprefan

21 hours ago, fred quimby said:

aye. But I wonder when the good times come back they will reduce this. I think I know the answer

the good times won't be loads of extra income to cover the losses it'll just be enough income to cover current costs, and some of the losses.. don't make the mistake of believing the lost money will magically reappear, it won't. efests is down about £15k i'm not expecting a magical £15k bump in earnings, to make up for the losses

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the good times won't be loads of extra income to cover the losses it'll just be enough income to cover current costs, and some of the losses.. don't make the mistake of believing the lost money will magically reappear, it won't. efests is down about £15k i'm not expecting a magical £15k bump in earnings, to make up for the losses

To an extent but I think there will be more shows next year than in an average year. There are huge backlogs at venues of both rescheduled stuff and stuff that would have happened this year and last. I’d say your average venue will be putting on 20% more shows. 
Then there’s the fact the ticket agents get to keep all the booking fees from the cancelled shows, many have been selling tickets for live streams, and that they’ll have been able to furlough a significant number of staff - they’re large enough they’ll have been able to right-size for the work they had… I don’t think ticket agencies will have actually done too badly.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Snap! In fairness I had no great expectations of Bob - I was there to see Shakey primarily.

Ditto. Was totally aware of BDs reputation live. Was still disappointed though. It was a case of leave now or get the later train and get home an hour later with work the next day iirc. Plus getting even crosser that he was making great songs unrecognisable. 

45 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Ditto. Was totally aware of BDs reputation live. Was still disappointed though. It was a case of leave now or get the later train and get home an hour later with work the next day iirc. Plus getting even crosser that he was making great songs unrecognisable. 

On the plus side: It meant I got a couple of hours in the pub before my National Express coach home.

On the minus side: Imagine my horror after drinking all day, to hear the coach driver say that the bog was out of order & I'd have to hold it in for the 3 hour journey home! (Luckily he took pity & stopped at the services half way home).

On 7/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, Suprefan said:

Fucking hell do you get a vial of their blood or some DNA so you can attempt to clone them for that price?? 

• 4 weeks later...