2021 Mercury Prize Nominees announced

found home in 2009

6 minutes ago, JHad said:

Very happy for Arlo and loved her live last week, although I have to say the sound on the night was awful on her track!

I thought the same. Sounded ok to me at EOTR but plenty said the sound was off there too, especially at the back. Could her voice be suffering from the effects of CV19

thought it was a dull album tbh but in a year of slim covid pickings maybe thats just how it was. feels like the mercury prize gets more try hard every year?

by my reckoning theres been 8 acts in a row from london winning it. they love to get together and pat themselves on the back them trendy london folk eh?

Edited by mattiloy

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wish it was like the old days when M People and Gomez won it.

mm maybe you're right. its always been a w*nky award for folks with a novelty fetish. a few of the albums that have won or indeed just been nominated have stood the test of time admittedly, but if you throw enough shit at the wall something'll stick.

ban awards shows altogether imo. mutual masturbation for an industry populated by narcissists

I'm really pleased for Arlo Parks. It's a beautiful album and very reflective of the times. I actually think it was a decent list this year. Loved the photo of Arlo Parks with next years winner Little Simz. Sadly didn't have time to watch the show last night but will try and catch up with the performances over the weekend. I still love the Mercurys because the acts are so varied and I think the being nominated is the main thing. They do help a lot of less mainstream music reach a wider audience. 

Sometimes I feel the Mercury judges are trying so hard to cover all the bases/genres it all becomes very pretentious. Being a "critically acclaimed" album remains only in the world of the critic unless it's recognised and appreciated by a wider audience. A headline one day, chip paper the next.

29 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

The judges are made up of music critics though it would be weird if they didn't choose critically acclaimed albums.

How many of the nominations have you listed to? I think they are all great apart from Berwyn's album. 

None of these albums are so out there that a normal punter who has at least a general liking of the respective genre of each album wouldn't appreciate

Yep I think it's a good list even the ones I don't especially like I appreciate are decent examples of their genres just not for me. 

Listened to 7/8, including those not on my usual genre radar. Most were average, some sleep inducing. Used to like Ghetts but now finding him repetitive. BCNR great musically: vocally less satisfactory. Maybe I getting old but most of the albums felt like a rehash of what's gone before; often by others. I want new, fresh and unique.

Edited by Lycra

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Award shows are just dead aren’t they? Who needs a ceremony to approve an album from months ago when I can see the reaction online straight away.

There'll always be a place for the brits. The world needs that level of nonsense now more than ever