2021 Mercury Prize Nominees announced

found home in 2009

11 minutes ago, jump said:

I thought it was good but not a good as there other albums, they are too big for the Mercury Prize now.

I would have liked to see Creeper get a nod but they aren't the sort of band to get these kind of nominations though.

I really liked that Creeper album, but yeah don't think it's the kind of thing the Mercury awards go for so not surprised by the omission.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Dry Cleaning are a notable omission there. Like, I know there’s been a ton of great post-punk stuff out over the past year and it can’t all be here, but they’re the one I would’ve thought made the cut over all. 

I couldn't get into Dry Cleaning, thought a couple of tracks were clever but it couldn't sustain over the course of a whole album for me.

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

This years Mercury Nominees have just been announced on 6 music. They are:

Arlo Parks – Collapsed In Sunbeams

BERWYN – DEMOTAPE/VEGA

Black Country, New Road – For the First Time

Celeste – Not Your Muse

Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra – Promises

Ghetts – Conflict Of Interest

Hannah Peel – Fir Wave

Laura Mvula – Pink Noise

Mogwai – As the Love Continues

Nubya Garcia – SOURCE 

SAULT – Untitled (Rise) 

Wolf Alice – Blue Weekend

Nothing I absolutely love on it, but a few albums for me to check out.

What's everyone thoughts?

Quite surprised by BERWYN making it, decent debut but too Drake-y I felt. My personal fav here is probably Floating Points but I'd be happy with Arlo Parks, BCNR, Ghetts, Nubya Garcia or SAULT winning it.

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Although it's not as good as either of the albums they released last year I think SAULT might snap it up. 

I think Rise is the better of the 2 last year for me. Will they give it to them to see who shows up 🙂

Couple on the list I have not heard so something for the weekend.

I don't actually care who wins awards, unless it's me of course

30 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I think Rise is the better of the 2 last year for me. Will they give it to them to see who shows up 🙂

Aye, I just read the list of nominees and presumed it was for 9. But given it's for Rise I think they should definitely win (although personally I preferred Black Is)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Wolf Alice would seem a tame choice, but I really love that record.  It's got a real warmth to it, hard to explain, but it's been the record of the year for me so far.  Sault would be my first choice, ridiculous amount of top drawer music in such a short span of time and I feel that deserves recognition.

I'd give it to BC,NR. Thought they'd end up winning this for their debut album the very first time I saw them in 2019 (looked so hard for a way of betting on it at the time!). I think it captures them perfectly up to that point, although they're a different band now. I'll be interested to see what they play tonight. There's only 6 tracks on the album and if those they seem to have stopped playing their biggest song, Sunglasses, and have rewritten (again) their next biggest, Athens, France, since the album (itself a rewrite of a rewrite!). 

Would be very pleased to see Arlo Parks or Nubya Garcia win too. 

41 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm surprised it's on so early. I thought it was normally closer to October. A sign of how fast this year has gone by I suppose. 

I think it is earlier than usual. I've never known it to be just a few days after End of the road festival (which is how I measure my years!)

Hoping for a Black Country, New Road win. I discovered them through this forum, in the album of the month vote, and they've quickly become my favourite band at the moment. I think their album is incredible and each track (only 6!) adds something special to the album with no real weak moments. It's definitely going to be my pick for AOTY, I don't see anything else coming anywhere close to knocking it off the top spot for me. It's a rare occurrence, but I'd give it a solid 10/10.

They were also my first gig back post-lockdown, albeit socially distanced, and I managed to get tickets on the day of the gig through a fan Facebook group as it had been sold out for months. They were great and they're probably one of the only bands who literally do not say a single word to the audience for the entire performance, but they absolutely delivered and hearing live violin and sax a few metres in-front of you was really awesome.

Their instrumentals are on-point and they are all super talented musicians. The lyrics (in my opinion 🙂) are genius and they never sound like they couldn't think of something so just put in a few filler lines. The track "Sunglasses" has become one of my favourite songs of all times and has one of my favourite verse of lyrics of all time, and according to last.fm I've played it 132 times just this year.

I've got tickets to see them two more times this year, in Liverpool and my favourite venue in Manchester, The Ritz. They were booked to play the farm in 2020, and I'm sure they'll show up in some capacity next year. Their new stuff is sounding fantastic as well, and when Basketball Shoes comes out it's going to rock the foundations of alternative music. So stay tuned some time next year for one of the albums of the century, your not going to want to miss it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

I've liked Laura Mvula's stuff in the past, but I'm not having this 80's schtick at all! I lived through the decade that taste forgot and I don't want it back, thank you very much!!!

Absolutely. Didn't enjoy that tune at all!