Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra – Promises

Ghetts – Conflict Of Interest

Hannah Peel – Fir Wave

Laura Mvula – Pink Noise

Mogwai – As the Love Continues

Nubya Garcia – SOURCE 

SAULT – Untitled (Rise) 

Wolf Alice – Blue Weekend

Nothing I absolutely love on it, but a few albums for me to check out.

What's everyone thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Only listened to a handful on there, but have said before that Wolf Alice is the record to beat for all the gongs this year.

I like it, but I don't love it the way everyone else seems to, despite it being exactly my kind of thing.

Not sure what my favourite is from the list. Black Country, New Road I find quite a powerful album, think it's a really good work of art, but not necessarily fun to listen to. Arlo Parks I think writes great lyrics but find the music a bit dull.

On first listen Ghetts sounds quite good even though I'm not that into grime music.

Surprised the Laura Mvula album is on there when it was only released 3 weeks ago. Presume the panel that creates the short list must get advance copies. Otherwise 3 weeks isn't long to live with an album to nominate it.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Only listened to a handful on there, but have said before that Wolf Alice is the record to beat for all the gongs this year.

Since they’ve already won the award for an album that’s inferior by some distance, you’d think they’re nailed on. Just think they might want to avoid giving the same act back to back awards?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Since they’ve already won the award for an album that’s inferior by some distance, you’d think they’re nailed on. Just think they might want to avoid giving the same act back to back awards?

It’s pretty neat having your worst album be a Mercury Prize winner.

Only listened to a couple but a toss up between Wolf Alice and BCNR so far.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

They won it in 2018 so hardly back to back. They didn't deserve it then. This would be more deserving albeit possibly not my favourite. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

They won it in 2018 so hardly back to back. They didn't deserve it then. This would be more deserving albeit possibly not my favourite. 

Back to back albums.

Agreed it was an odd choice in 2018!

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Surprised Royal Blood haven’t received a nod, thought Typhoons was pretty well received.

I thought it was good but not a good as there other albums, they are too big for the Mercury Prize now.

I would have liked to see Creeper get a nod but they aren't the sort of band to get these kind of nominations though.

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

Thanks for that, saves me the bother of watching it. Might as well close the thread! 😄

Maybe you're too young to remember Benjamin Clementine, Speech Debelle, Talvin Singh, etc?

Yep one thing you can guarantee about the Mercury's is that you can never guarantee who will win it. Sometimes they go with the obvious choice but certainly not all the time. Been many a what moment after the winner has been announced.