Kanye West

dentalplan

Thoroughly impressed with this album, listened the minute it became available. I was on a cruise ship, was very lucky to get it to download!

My top tracks from DONDA:

• Jail (pt1 and 2)
  • God Breathed
  • Off the grid
  • Hurricane
  • Praise God
  • Jonah
  • Junya (pt1 and 2)
  • Believe what I say
  • Remote Control
  • Moon
  • Keep my spirit alive
  • Jesus Lord (pt1 and 2) - Big standout track for me
  • Come to life
  • No child left behind

Comes in at 1hr 10 mins. I'm classing it as a top 5 Kanye album alongside Twisted Fantasy, WTT, KSG and Yeezus.

Edited by discgoesmic

I’ve finally gotten round to listening to DONDA. I’m currently 18 tracks in and honestly it’s way more hit than miss for me. A couple of tracks could have done with a minute or so chopped off of them (‘God Breathed’, for example) and I’m not feeling ‘Ok Ok’, ‘Believe What I Say’ or ‘24’ that much but other than that, I think this album is pretty same golden so far. 

Edited by Andre91

50 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve finally gotten round to listening to DONDA. I’m currently 18 tracks in and honestly it’s way more hit than miss for me. A couple of tracks could have done with a minute or so chopped off of them (‘God Breathed’, for example) and I’m not feeling ‘Ok Ok’, ‘Believe What I Say’ or ‘24’ that much but other than that, I think this album is pretty same golden so far. 

Believe What I Say is one of the best things on there easily! 

I liked it on release and have only gotten fonder with each listen. I never listen to the part 2s, and a few other tracks could get the chop (Junya, 24, Tell the Vision off the top of my head), and there’s still a certain element of ‘unfinished-ness’ to the whole thing with some of Kanye’s verses/vocal input unfortunately seeming like a bit of an afterthought, but there are some incredible songs here, with Jail, Off the Grid, Believe What I Say, Remote Control, Jesus Lord, Lord I Need You, Pure Souls and Come to Life being peak Kanye imo. Come to Life has me nearly welling up with each listen; so good. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Believe What I Say is one of the best things on there easily! 

I liked it on release and have only gotten fonder with each listen. I never listen to the part 2s, and a few other tracks could get the chop (Junya, 24, Tell the Vision off the top of my head), and there’s still a certain element of ‘unfinished-ness’ to the whole thing with some of Kanye’s verses/vocal input unfortunately seeming like a bit of an afterthought, but there are some incredible songs here, with Jail, Off the Grid, Believe What I Say, Remote Control, Jesus Lord, Lord I Need You, Pure Souls and Come to Life being peak Kanye imo. Come to Life has me nearly welling up with each listen; so good. 

Yeah, some of these songs really catch you off-guard. The ones that hit me emotionally particularly are Moon (always love Kid Cudi's voice) and Jesus Lord. Jesus Lord is incredibly captivating and it's a great example of storytelling within hip-hop music, albeit a very sad one of loss and revenge. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty stoked for this. Not really sure what format the whole thing is gonna take but considering it’s seemingly got 20 years of footage we should at least get some interesting unseen stuff and a bit of insight in to Kanye’s changing mind frame etc. 

Yeah it's interesting. Netflix paid $30m for it so I guess it must be more than some loose behind the scenes cuts like the one featured. I think I read it was a three-parter too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would run and hide from the Facebook / Twitter replies if they called in Kanye as a replacement for Kendrick

I’d quietly be thrilled but I would not want to participate in that internet discourse. @Gnomicide that is something that would elicit more “fucking dreadfuls” than any female pop act 😉 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would run and hide from the Facebook / Twitter replies if they called in Kanye as a replacement for Kendrick

I’d quietly be thrilled but I would not want to participate in that internet discourse. @Gnomicide that is something that would elicit more “fucking dreadfuls” than any female pop act 😉 

Haha yeah the social media onslaught would be something else. Would be a dream booking for me personally and I believe it would go down well on the day, but can't see Emily booking him ever again based on:

- His ridiculous stage demands (and probably equally ridiculous fee)
- His controversial politics/behaviour, likely upsetting some people involved (off the top of my head Edith Bowman tweeted strongly against him last year in response to Marilyn Manson's involvement with Donda)
- Emily's comments on his headline performance last time in that BBC Glastonbury documentary they showed in 2020 - if I remember correctly she made it sound like it was pretty stressful, to me it didn't sound like she'd be jumping to book him again

Would love to be proved wrong on that though

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I genuinely gave him a go when he was announced last time. 

Fucking dreadful 😄

Obviously he's recorded a lot of stuff but nothing in what I heard did it for me (very little sets my teeth on edge like auto tuned vocals) but I can at least understand why people like it.

2 hours ago, Col!n said:

Haha yeah the social media onslaught would be something else. Would be a dream booking for me personally and I believe it would go down well on the day, but can't see Emily booking him ever again based on:

- His ridiculous stage demands (and probably equally ridiculous fee)
- His controversial politics/behaviour, likely upsetting some people involved (off the top of my head Edith Bowman tweeted strongly against him last year in response to Marilyn Manson's involvement with Donda)
- Emily's comments on his headline performance last time in that BBC Glastonbury documentary they showed in 2020 - if I remember correctly she made it sound like it was pretty stressful, to me it didn't sound like she'd be jumping to book him again

Would love to be proved wrong on that though

I personally think he’s one and done not because it was such a special show but because the reaction would be like nothing we have ever seen before. If you thought the petition was bad last time social media would be extremely toxic. It’s even gone down bad in the lead up to Coachella and that’s his stomping ground.

Although as @Hugh Jass and others has said I would very quietly be excited to see it. A Kanye show is a Kanye show. You may have feelings about him as a person but its extremely entertaining.

2015 was great. It felt like the plug could be pulled at any minute and the whole show was being held on a knife edge. Never really experienced another show like it.

New Ye song coming tomorrow supposedly, unsure whether it's his own or a feature. Has been working on 'Donda 2' this week as well as albums for The Game and Pusha T, and been in the studio with Big Sean, ASAP Rocky, DJ Premier, Mike Dean and others. Hopefully some of these projects will actually see the light of day.

33 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

It's also just been confirmed that Ye is headlining Coachella. Hopefully we might get a world tour from this also, although I don't think he'll ever play Glastonbury again.d7749462-2c12-4cdb-8b54-127edbae9ffc.thumb.jpg.c2d8a67fba50678acb1d5f131c6fa181.jpg

I wouldn’t expect a tour. Kanye is the type to just do one off shows when he needs a bit of exposure.