Kanye West

dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This seems a lot of work for a album that isn’t going to be that good.

Well I’m sure Kanye isn’t actively making a not very good album so I’m sure he doesn’t think so. Let’s hope the thing actually turns out to be pretty damn good and surprises us all when it finally comes out after listening party #37.

Is there much point in hype around a new album release in the days of streaming though?

I understand it in years gone by when people could pre order CDs weeks in advance etc, and hyping up certainly had its relevance then, but in modern way we consume music - does it really have a benefit? People will stream it and have a listen to see if they like it or not, and just move on if they don’t, with little to no impact to Kanye’s pocket. 

It would be interesting if he were to fuse together gospel music with his brand of hard beats. That’s kind of what I’m hoping from DONDA. 

Too much “Christian” music drops the quality of play/lyrics/production on account of ticking the Jesus box, and I say that as somebody who used to review contemporary Christian music in my younger years as a believer. I was eventually thrown off the magazine staff for criticising a Christian rap album because the production just couldn’t measure up to the secular west coast hip hop I was listening to at the time. Apparently I should have been satisfied that this artist mentioned Jesus a lot. Um, no. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

It would be interesting if he were to fuse together gospel music with his brand of hard beats. That’s kind of what I’m hoping from DONDA. 

Too much “Christian” music drops the quality of play/lyrics/production on account of ticking the Jesus box, and I say that as somebody who used to review contemporary Christian music in my younger years as a believer. I was eventually thrown off the magazine staff for criticising a Christian rap album because the production just couldn’t measure up to the secular west coast hip hop I was listening to at the time. Apparently I should have been satisfied that this artist mentioned Jesus a lot. Um, no. 

They didnt want you to say the new DC Talk album was shite lol.

11 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They didnt want you to say the new DC Talk album was shite lol.

Ha! Actually I had a bit of time for DC Talk - production and delivery on Free At Last and Jesus Freak was really good. It was my review of T-Bone that they didn’t appreciate. I opened the magazine on delivery to find my tepid review had been replaced with a ten star gush from the editor. 

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Objectively it's an interesting business strategy, milking his chaos / monetising the bags under Mike Dean's eyes. Who else could sell out arenas for little more than a glorified playback sandbox. Barely care about the album anymore though.

When it does finally come out...

TameRashKomododragon-max-1mb.gif

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Ha! Actually I had a bit of time for DC Talk - production and delivery on Free At Last and Jesus Freak was really good. It was my review of T-Bone that they didn’t appreciate. I opened the magazine on delivery to find my tepid review had been replaced with a ten star gush from the editor. 

Hahaha, puff piece! Thats too funny. Pitchfork just reviewed Jesus Freak for one of their sunday reviews and Im sure it was eye opening to a ton of people that werent old enough during those times. Them and Jars of Clay were all the christian labels fawned over. And Newsboys since they were aussie!

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Hahaha, puff piece! Thats too funny. Pitchfork just reviewed Jesus Freak for one of their sunday reviews and Im sure it was eye opening to a ton of people that werent old enough during those times. Them and Jars of Clay were all the christian labels fawned over. And Newsboys since they were aussie!

Haha, wow those names bring it back a bit. I was quite the fan of Audio Adrenaline, and of course over in good old Blighty, Manchester based 'World Wide Message Tribe' were putting out stuff like this, which I enjoyed at the time.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He brought Marilyn Manson and DaBaby out on stage last night.

Couldn't make it up.

Yeah, discussed a bit in the new music thread, but Kanye seems to have some weird obsession with sticking by abusers/pieces of shit to the point that he’s now associated himself with a guy who he previously had no relationship with, like he’s actually called up Manson to offer condolences over being outed as being an awful prick and given him a public seal of approval. So weird, and out of all the crap that Kanye pulls probably the least forgivable. He actually replaced Jay Z’s (albeit shit) verse on the album with DaBaby!