Must see acts & (post festival) what were your highlights of the weekend

Mr Boo

Which acts are your must sees and post festival which acts were in fact your highlights. 

My list of must sees -

Wolf Alice

Supergrass

Bombay Bicycle Club

Black Honey (sad about clash with  Chemical Brothers)

Arlo Parks/ Damon Albarn

Goat Girl

Kawala

Bastille Reorchestrated

Sea Girls

Beabadoobee

Edited by Mr Boo

Must see for me:

- The Snuts - For those who don’t know them, they’re a great up and coming indie band, one of many brilliant bands coming out of Scotland at the moment.

- Hot Chip 

- Kawala

- Sea Girls

- Chemical Brothers

- Kaiser Chiefs

- Bombay Bicycle Club

Can't wait for late night antics at The Shack and other areas. 

My must sees are always people I've never seen or haven't seen in ages, rather than my absolute favourites who I tend to have tickets for anyway. 

Based on that, this festival doesn't have many! I'll go with Willie J Healey, Tim Burgess and Joe Armon-Jones/Arlo Parks (*clash*).

My favourite acts on the bill, who I'll also try to catch most of are probably: PVA, Squid, Dry Cleaning, Sinead O'Brien, Anna Meredith, Just Mustard, bdrrm and Sons of Kemet.

Honestly, I could probably just see The Chems and be happy 😂

Otherwise primarily just being in a field with a cold pint listening to someone I've never heard of before. 

But, for the game, I'm very excited for: Hot Chip, Dream Wife, Sorry, Bill Bailey. 

On 7/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mr Boo said:

Which acts are your must sees and post festival which acts were in fact your highlights. 

My list of must sees -

Wolf Alice

Supergrass

Bombay Bicycle Club

Black Honey (sad about clash with  Chemical Brothers)

Arlo Parks/ Damon Albarn

Goat Girl

Kawala

Bastille Reorchestrated

Sea Girls

Beabadoobee

Highlights of the weekend- 

(1) Being lucky enough to be back at a festival with a friendly crowd of people all wanting to have fun.

(2) Wolf Alice- Unbelievably great set

(3) Supergrass - had high hopes for this set and it didn’t disappoint 

(4) Rudimental- A brilliant party band, completely unexpected highlight for me.

(5) Damian Albarn- only saw the last 4 songs of the set, but a magical moment 

(6) Bill Bailey- comedy highlight for me- although special mentions to Katherine Ryan, Rich Hall and Flo and Joan

(7) Black Honey- this set made my daughters so happy. Children happy = happy parents 

(8) Declan McKenna - what a great sounding band

(9) Beabadoobee- lovely voice, lovely songs

(10) Lucia & the best boys and Dream Wife - both did great sets, so cheating and adding them both into my top ten.

Special shout-outs to - Sea Girls, Tim Burgess, Bombay Bicycle Club and Bastille.

To be honest I enjoyed everything I saw, knackered but so happy😊

edit - forgot Kawala, they were great as well. 

Edited by Mr Boo

My top 10!

1. Wet Leg
  2. Joe Armon-Jones
  3. Dream Wife
  4. Big Joanie
  5. Los Bitchos
  6. Anna Meredith -  
  7. Ishmael Ensemble
  8. Squid
  9. Nubya Garcia
  10. Shame

Wish I'd seen: Dry Cleaning, Pozi, Goat Girl, Bdrmm.

Disappointments: very little! Maybe Willie J Healey, if I'm feeling harsh.

Way too tried to add any details right now!

Wolf Alice, Bombay Bicycle Club, Declan Mckenna, Sea Girls, Sports Team, The Vaccines and The Snuts were all great. Black Honey were really good (from what I remember!) Reginald D Hunter was my favourite comedian I saw of the weekend. Wasn't planning on watching Shame, but caught 20 mins or so between bands and they sounded brilliant. 

Would have loved to have seen Wet Leg but queue to get in was huge. Heard great things from it.

My top 5 were Wolf Alice, Bastille, Supergrass, Rudimental and The Vaccines, also enjoyed Kaiser Chiefs, Sea Girls, Beabadoobee, Declan McKenna and Bombay Bicycle Club, I even enjoyed a bit of Mabel (but as I haven't seen anything live for 18 months I think I can be forgiven!). Also enjoyed Bill Bailey, Mark Watson, Reginald D Hunter, Jo Brand and Flo and Joan from the comedy too.

Top five for me were Damon Albarn (first time waiting it out to be on the barrier in about ten years, and totally worth those few hours!), Bill Bailey, Anna Meredith, Fenne Lily, and shame.

A shame to have missed Dry Cleaning, as the bass overwhelmed Wolf Alice’s set from where we were stood, but that’ll be rectified soon enough I should think! 

My top 5

1. Chemical Brothers

2. Damon 

3. Squid 

4. Sports Team

5. Hot Chip 

Honorable mentions to Stephen Fretwell and Maisie Peters who I also thoroughly enjoyed.

Still getting over the fact I didn't manage to catch Wet Leg. Thankfully, I've managed to pick up a resale ticket to see them support Declan McKenna in Cambridge and will also keep an eye out for their London shows.

2 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

My top 5

1. Chemical Brothers

2. Damon 

3. Squid 

4. Sports Team

5. Hot Chip 

Honorable mentions to Stephen Fretwell and Maisie Peters who I also thoroughly enjoyed.

Still getting over the fact I didn't manage to catch Wet Leg. Thankfully, I've managed to pick up a resale ticket to see them support Declan McKenna in Cambridge and will also keep an eye out for their London shows.

They are supporting Inhaler too in October (sold out kentish town though)

for me:

1. Chemical Brothers as expected, best show i’ve ever seen by my favourite artist - 95 minutes of pure joy.

2. Hot Chip, very pleasant surprise great bit of fun

all the other sets were good but these were the two standouts - rick astley was a bit lacking though i have to say vs iow 2019. Vaccines great too but baking

Edited by gfa

Lynks was great fun as an opener. Interesting test how I felt about crowds. Didn't bother me at all tbh. Kept more distant with less dense crowds. Shame I couldn't find their late night set.

Acts I hadn't really heard before I enjoyed- The Staves , Dream Wife,Lola Young, Longest Johns (not normally my kinna thing but I got a bit emotional seeing families dancing and having fun, maybe sleep deprivation kicking in then 😉 haha)

Acts I knew - CMAT, Cherym, Just Mustard & Orla Gartland. Sunrise was a lovely wee area.  Nicer toilets, shorter bar queue, shade. Trekked there rather than wait on main stage queues.

Highlights- Hot Chip was right in amongst it, took a bit of a fuck it risk but what a release . Dancing in the dark cover was euphoric. Chem bros were amazing, didn't stop dancing . Was ready to stop as my feet aching but started up again for the encore. Gonna try and go see them at trnsmt (I'll stand at the back and go late to avoid the kids but that convinced me it'd be worth it.) Bombay bicycle club were my 2nd last gig and I was really quite sad when I saw them so had a great time singing along and dancing to a well-paced set 🙂

Honourable mentions to Club de fromage , discoshed picking me up when I was ready to leave and abba disco for just being fun and an atmosphere that everyone just wanted to squeeze everything out of this weekend and why not!

Highlights...

1) VLURE - front row and my 13 year old daughter said she would have nightmares, but loved the energy

2) Sea Girls

3) The Snuts

4) Wolf Alice 

5) Chemical Brothers 

6) Lucia and the Best Boys

7) Bombay Bicycle Club

😎 Sports Team 

9) Wet Leg

10) Vaccines

11) Kawala

Plus Bill Bailey and Jo Brand.

Biggest disappointment Bastille - with the choir and orchestra I thought they sounded like an act off Britain's Got Talent. I much preferred their Glastonbury 2019 set.

Food wise I loved the Samosa Chaat from Curry on Naanstop, which I had to go back and have again on Sunday evening. 

My highlights:

Lynks

VLURE

Squid

Wolf Alice

Los Bitchos

Chems

Self Esteem - force to be reckoned with!

Anna Meredith

Cracking variety (exceeding my expectations) and just amazing to be back in a field with like minded people. Wish I'd been able to catch Nubya Garcia, Dream Wife and Hot Chip.

Glad several people here saying they enjoyed Vlure. Alongside Wet Leg they were one of my 2 new music tips before the festival but alas clashes meant I missed them (I had seen them a few weeks before at their own gig). They have such commitment as a live act. 

14 hours ago, rseamer said:

Glad several people here saying they enjoyed Vlure. Alongside Wet Leg they were one of my 2 new music tips before the festival but alas clashes meant I missed them (I had seen them a few weeks before at their own gig). They have such commitment as a live act. 

The old style Latte forum seems a bit equivocal on Vlure. I personally thought they were stunning. Commitment is spot on comment, they may lack something or other (not much, for me) but Hamish and the guys are putting themselves out there. btw they partied all weekend, counts for a lot to me. Tix booked for Moth club.