Sziget 2022

Matt86

1 hour ago, lukatej said:

haha, I didnt know that, as I saw them for the second time and for the second time he was f**ked up, so I was like thats just AM Classic. He was mumbling a lot and often he went out of the rhythm, mostly in the second part.

The setlist itself was close to perfection and I loved the Cornerstone!

So you tell me that scene was staged?

That makes actually sense, if you put it that way, but thats very good acting then. Just look at the scene again 🙂

To be honest he’s just a bizarre character and he often mixes up the way his songs live so the timing of vocals is different from studio recordings. Just a quirk of his!

Setlist fantastic and loved it.

haha yeah 100% staged and you can find compilations of it online too! Thanks for sharing the vid. I find it hilarious every time!

3 hours ago, lukatej said:

haha, I didnt know that, as I saw them for the second time and for the second time he was f**ked up, so I was like thats just AM Classic. He was mumbling a lot and often he went out of the rhythm, mostly in the second part.

The setlist itself was close to perfection and I loved the Cornerstone!

So you tell me that scene was staged?

That makes actually sense, if you put it that way, but thats very good acting then. Just look at the scene again 🙂

what do you think... he would forget this easy one and no problems with the "hardest" ones ? Look at the ENTIRE show : he was ok lol, you clearly havent seen yet what is a wasted singer on stage 😅

Well here goes for my bit. I thought the AM blew me away and my highlight to the week. Calvin, Lewis, Milky Chance, Fontaine's, siigrid and Bastille were all great. Dua was decent it was just far too busy. Nokia mimmed most off her set and I seem a few others but nothing stuck out. I was gutted Sam Fender and Giant Rooks never played as I had been listening to them lots. 

Justin was boring and I left after 5 songs to go into town. Tami Impala sounded okay but it's not for me. 

The last night was the best AM and fontains and it also seemed quiet for such a good line up. 

The dust was horrific, it really was a health issue and I have been struggling to breath, the food was fine but covered in dust. 

The set up was fine for me and I normally get the boat so disappointed when the bridge was not done but if it gets a better band I am happy with it. Not sure I will be back and I will see what the line up is like. I am never sure saving 100 quid is worth the early bird tickets 

OK. I might as well write a long one as well. This was my 7th Sziget in a row so a lot to compare. Luckily all our first timers had time of their lives and so did the rest of us, so if i'm too negative it's just easier to write about bad things. 🙂 I had the most fun out of all 7, but this was clearly because i had such an amazing group of friends this time. All good things come to an end at one point, but I truly hope they'll come to Sziget with me forever. ANYWAY:

Sziget has always been a "mini-Glastonbury" for me, so everything outside of music program plays a huge part in the experience. This includes artsy stuff which they had clearly cut at least 70% compared to past years. It just did not feel like you're entering a wonderland this time. These can be really small changes which make a huge impact, for example some tents that were unique and designed were just plain white now.   Program wise i'd say it was OK. I semi-enjoyed circus, dance battle with Les Twins at the new dropyard was my absolute highlight of the weekend, but you could feel they'd cut back with dance and theatre program, especially as the main stage was outside now. 

It felt to me that the choice of food was much smaller this time. I really struggled to find anything new and interesting on 4th day. I did not like the fact that at a lot of locations they "standardized" food stalls so instead of each unique stall there was a row of tents with Sziget design. Inside of those tents these were the same catering companies they've had in previous years. I used to really like that some stalls really put an effort into making their place look cool. This helped for the atmosphere as well. Why take it away from them? And prices wise - i checked my pictures from 2019 and same food stalls had their prices up literally 2x. It just doesn't make sense if you compare it to cheap beer prices. People from northern Europe come cause of prices, these customers are someone they do not want to lose. 

Dust. Yeah, I know you can't do much about it. If it's that hot, watering just does not help, unless you got unlimited staff and supplies. I did go very close at Arctic Monkeys and I was surprised at lack of dust over there. I guess those plastic surfaces really help? Maybe make their area larger? Cars and scooters driving around all the time does not help as well - are they sure this is controlled enough and not anyone can drive around? 

Superstar camping - been there for.. can't even remember how many years. WOW what a shitshow that was. It has really always been worth every penny. The bar had great atmosphere, the pool, the location is amazing and you've really been taken care of if you had glamping options + toilets were always cleaned + included paper. It had nothing but the location now. So - the bar: they had zero seats and tables this time, and they had removed roof of the chilling area. How can you even call it a bar if there's nowhere to be? / the pool: has been discussed here, but haha WOW that bubble party as an alternative.. there was a machine for that...kind of. They did try to make the pool area nice and comfy, but it just was not enough. / glamping options: took a wooden hut. So on the picture it's pretty large, but they only show a picture of a 4-people one. It's 2x smaller for the 2 person one. No blanket or pillow. When we arrived (9th) most of huts were not ready, we did not have power and they put locks on our hut AFTER we arrived. The bed was already broken on the floor, whole room was really dusty as well. As we arrived day earlier, we managed to switch to a better hut which was on asphalt and under a tree - this was a great choice as it did not get hot before like 2PM + no dust. But those who arrived last got those shitty options and I'm so sorry for them. One of the rooms had such a large hole on the wall that you could see inside and put a hand through. Our group got 2 Love Cabins as well, one of them had pillows and the other did not. They only accepted to refund a freaking 12€ (!?!?!?) - but where were they going to get their promised pillows? / toilets and showers: It's an upgraded camping but they were clearly the same ones as free camping had. They were regularly not cleaned. Not something I'd expect at a festival usually, but they had been for the past 6 years and don't forget, it was 200€ per face. They also forgot to put up signage which side is for men and which for ladies. At one point someone wrote it with a marker and a few days later they found official signage from somewhere as well. lol. Oh and they chose "men" for that side which had mirrors for make-up. Go figure. 

Bar staff was really slow. I can not explain why, but even here in the forums multiple of us told someone earlier that you don't really wait for drinks at Sziget. I'm sorry - i guess that era is now over. Another thing with staff was lack of English. Look - i know you can't expect people to speak English in other countries but their customers are mainly from outside of Hungary. It has not been that bad in previous years. I couldn't even ask if there was another pizza in the oven getting ready soon, so i would have more choice!? There seemed to be some weird issues with their briefing as well - some bars refused to switch cups or give tokens, but they FORCED you to buy a cup for a drink(no, i'm not talking about the secret cheaper bar with plastic cups). That can't be a real thing right? 

VIP tickets - so yeah.. the area at the main stage was great, incl. food options and toilets. Viewing terrace can get full, but I did not watch anything from there anyway as it was too much on a side for me. I'd like to see a "straight line" to the stage. As I did not leave the island a single time I have no idea if separate entrance is worth it, but my friend who arrived on 10th waited for about 2 hours for a wristband, while regular line was 40 mins. VIP experience to the max. VIP garden for Magic Mirror was great with a separate entrance to venue, a DJ Booth and multiple bars. Garden for FreeDome was completely pointless in a sense that you had to go outside and take a pretty long walk there. You could technically see the show from side of the stage, but there was no view at all in reality. As for a nerd like me, you could also see behind the stage other acts being prepared, so stage switches were cool. Not sure how much VIP's would actually like it tho. VIP for Party Arena was kind of boring as well, but at least you could see the audience from there so I imagine most people were happy. Did not end up in Colosseum but my friend spent hours in the VIP there - he said he was mostly the only one and became good friends with security and bar staff. Lol. Yeah VIP prolly does not camp and does not go far away from main stage with their fancy outfits. To sum up: I used VIP to bring drinks to my friends as bars outside had too long queues. 

Don't know which night, but I stumbled on the greatest drag party I have ever witnessed @ Magic Mirror  We danced until morning that night. Magic Mirror was great in general. That 23.00 show was epic (and overcrowded) + stand-up comedy once again delivered. Elrow party was amazing as well, like always. I can't really stand plain "DJ" parties, but these two events (elrow and drag) went an extra notch which I loved. 

Concerts: FKJ!

They are going to have a hard time selling tickets next year. But trust me, even after my poor review, that freaking vibe is still there. Why the fuck is it so much fun? 

Edit: To add context, here's a view from the FreeDome VIP during Fontaines D.C. image.thumb.jpeg.2373a3c83ef16e601049b2a638c716ee.jpeg

Edited by eyebrain

6 hours ago, Matt86 said:

what do you think... he would forget this easy one and no problems with the "hardest" ones ? Look at the ENTIRE show : he was ok lol, you clearly havent seen yet what is a wasted singer on stage 😅

The man is not machine, you can easily f*ck up easy song and do the hardest one without any mistake, ask any playing musician. This is not linear. 😃

OK, He may be not wasted on "Mariah Carey" or "Julian Casablanca" or Sziget 2018 concert, but he was definitely not "ok".

Which big concerts you have seen live with wasted artists? I am interested in seeing that 😁

Edited by lukatej

19 minutes ago, Nikky said:

Amy Winehouse in Belgrade. Check that. 

I went because my sister wanted to see her and I wanted to see Moby after and damn, that was so bad and so sad. If I liked her more I would've probably be pissed like my sister was but for me it was really just sad.

I saw QOTSA twice, once Josh Homme was completely sober and it was one of the best concerts of my life and at Werchter (with Spiderman climbing the stage 😄) where he was trashed a bit and it was just okay to good, didn't ruin the show for me that much. Also The National, some mumbling but other than that still good

On 8/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, lukatej said:

[...]

I would prefer stronger lineup not for the lineup itself but for the fact that there will be less ONEDAY ticket goers, I personally dont like them at all, they behave the worst and ruining the festival experience.

What I also dont understand why would Sziget let "One Night Party Entrance" which would allow people to go for night party for one day.

This is potentially very dangerous to the security and thievery, do not like this idea at all.

[...]

Heard for the first time that many inside my circle of italians attenders got robbed from the tent. Terrible and awful.

Also, the morning after the last day, I also heard many people was left out of the island without a chance to get in and gather their stuff. One of them actually got in, eventually, to find the tent collected by god knows who, her stuff trashed around and most of her valuable stolen.

It sends the mixed signal that if you are not buying the private camping you are kind of exposing yourself to this kind of event: not cool.

So my short summary...

Best acts: Beabadoobee and AM (admittedly we saw very few over the three days...)

The festival itself seemed a bit poorly organised in some aspects (tents right next to stages seemed a bit weird) whereas it was quite slick in other ways such as the general wristband/entry setup. Was also easy to come and go via cabs which helped us as we stayed in the city.

No way I'd personally return as there are just so many better festivals out there. I think the only exception might be if I was visiting Budapest and fancied a one day ticket for a particular headliner.

Late night entertainment was alright - particularly enjoyed Magic Mirror where there fun, inclusive vibes.

Hope you all had a good time though!

Still dont understand why they release early Birds tickets just two days after the festival when most of the people are still coughing the dust.

..and without any further announcement of announcement or at least Szitizen Prime socks.

This year tickets was sold on ticketswap around 120€ for whole festival and couldnt sell out.

What is purpose of this Early Early birds then? How many tickets they think they will sell in 48h? 
only logical conclusion would be to pay up the loans for this year.

8 hours ago, lukatej said:

Still dont understand why they release early Birds tickets just two days after the festival when most of the people are still coughing the dust.

..and without any further announcement of announcement or at least Szitizen Prime socks.

This year tickets was sold on ticketswap around 120€ for whole festival and couldnt sell out.

What is purpose of this Early Early birds then? How many tickets they think they will sell in 48h? 
only logical conclusion would be to pay up the loans for this year.

Yeah exactly this. I’d get it if they were selling super early bird at a ridiculously cut price, but 275 is still a lot. Also I’d wait at least a few weeks for everyone to feel better from dust/exhaustion and start to feel some nostalgia about the festival. I’ll definitely come to another Sziget in the future, maybe not next year but I’m going to return for sure.

Not sure I could hack camping again though. I felt like I could tell by looking at people who seemed fresh in from the city everyday and I was quite jealous by the end 😅

Just back in UK (via Vienna). Been catching up on all your comments.

Our thoughts, in short: We attended our first Sziget in 2019 and that was a 9.5 out of 10 for us. Near perfection. Loved almost every bit of it.

This year, however, was probably nearer to a 6 out of 10. Line-up was much less suited to our tastes and the act my group was probably most excited for (Sam Fender) didn't turn up.

His exclusion also resulted in a really crap final day with mainstage almost empty until 8.30pm. Holly Humberstone was thrown in at the deep end and she drowned - sadly.

Dust was a obviously a problem and it affected my son so much he had to miss the Friday. 

VIP was not worth the extra. Oversold day ticket VIP passes meant that on Bieber and Calvin Harris days the toilets were awful, there were a couple of (literal) fights over chairs - of which there was nowhere near enough, and there were ultra-VIP sections within the VIP section. Just too much.

The vibe seemed off too, that might have been down to the dust but the whole festival didn't have that happy, smiley, friendly vibe I remembered. Also, lack of decoration probably played a part too.

Food prices were ridiculous at some stalls. We spent about £250 more than expected with no heavy drinking involved at all.

It would take an amazing line-up for 2023 to make us return. 

EDIT: Strangest thing of the whole festival was finding a watch on a table in VIP and handing it in to the bar there and being told they couldn't accept lost property and I should hand it in "somewhere else" but they didn't know where. So, if anyone wants a Rolex........

Edited by swelsbyuk

First time at Sziget and its definitely gets a thumbs up from me. We chose to only go on 2 days, as the line up was nowhere near good enough to justify a full 6 day pass and there is plenty of good stuff to do in the city centre anyway.

We went on the Friday as i wanted to see Ben Klock and were pretty impressed by the pounding Colleseum, nice and loud and outdoors! After a while though i was absolutely desperate for some pills since i only had ket which i had brought over from the UK, luckily a sound Hungarian guy who we befriended sorted us out some mandy and the rest of the night was a blur, but a good blur. I did however go by the main stage when Justin Bieber was playing and it was fucking weird and tragic seeing grown men actually enjoying it- sort yourselves out 😆

Judging by the amount of wristbands in the city centre during the day, we didnt seem to be missing too much at the festival itself, and when i saw all the tents covered in dust i kind of felt sorry for those who had chosen to camp at the festival. Even more so when i discovered that all the food looked pretty disgusting and way overpriced given that we are in Hungary. A slice of pizza was almost £5 which takes the piss. 

We went back on the Monday as i quite liked the idea of the Elrow tent and we had another great time. The colloseum was banging again, and the Elrow tent was just as intense. The festival itself wasnt as busy as Friday which was nice. Managed to see a bit of The Artic Monkeys which were pretty shite, and some other boring RnB act called Queen Nokia or something, before retreating back to the Elrow and Colloseum. 

I found the bars a bit hit and miss, some were friendly and had everything others had run out of stuff and im sure were overcharging for drinks. I think Sziget should think long and hard about increasing drinks prices any more than they have done this year as i think people will just stop buying them or bothering with the festival at all.