Sziget 2022

Matt86

16 minutes ago, kristofm said:

Organizers say they plan to use a lot more decorations next year, this year was a one off.

I really missed the umbrellas and all that. 😞

This was my first SZiget. After being to Tomorrowland, Pinkpop and other quite big festivals I can say that SZiget has become my favourite festival so far. 

Okay yeah…there was a lot of dust but the organisation can’t help this and this has to do with the extreme heat and drought through the whole of Europe. During Pinkpop it was 36 degrees celcius and that was also unpleasant.

As it was my first time I can’t compare it with previous editions but I didn’t miss a lot of decorations. 

• Upvote 1

SZiget is an amazing festival.

*The festival made me dance during Dua Lipa and Calvin Harris.
*The festival learned me a lot due to the NGO Island .
*The festival made me taste a lot of new food and try some new special dishes. *The festival made me laugh a lot during the amazing comedy show in Magic Mirror.

* The festival made me experience new cultures at the Vietnamese Theatre.

* The festival amazed me at the circus shows.

* The festival made me feel the big techno beats at Colosseum.

*The festival gave me a lot of stamps. 

* The festival made me discover a lot of new bands.

* The festival served me big act after big act. 

* The festival gave me new international friends.

* The festival showed me that I still believe in humanity and that we can still solve things together. Whether you are from the USA, Brazil , Hungary or The Netherlands in the end we all want the same in the world . Let’s hope some politicians take these messages . 

Thank you SZiget and see you soon!

Edited by Dutchfestivaladdict
  • Upvote 4

Just now, profilc said:

I feel that the hate is mainly coming from people who paid for the camping and VIP upgrades. But let’s not forget that this is not what Sziget is about. So that’s  on them. 

Well I had the VIP upgrade. I was happy with it. I could easier get a drink, go to the toilet and didn’t have to worry about a good view for the MainStage act. There was also very good food at the VIP area. I compare it to festivals in my own neighbourhood and then this is what I expected for VIP not more than that.  Would I do it again? Really depends on how much I can spend , how long I go and how high the price will be. 

9-14 August Will the next edition AND the celebration of 30 years Sziget. If they can surprise me with a banger line-up I’ll come back. 

Just hoping organizers will take the feedback into account and make the right choices regarding the issues the visitors had this year. 

3 hours ago, profilc said:

9-14 August Will the next edition AND the celebration of 30 years Sziget. If they can surprise me with a banger line-up I’ll come back. 

Just hoping organizers will take the feedback into account and make the right choices regarding the issues the visitors had this year. 

so it remains a 6 days festival?

i'm one of those who buy the citizen prime every year, but honestly idk if i come back again.

i feel like the headliners were massive this year and it made them cut off the middle size acts.

the activities this year were fewer and all the same as last years.

the lines for everything anytime were weird at sziget, and the food was overpriced and not as good as last years (i dont even mantion the lake of varity as previews years had).

i guess its gonna come down to the lineup, but if its gonna be all about the heads im probably be out.

Well, that was it already.

For me this Sziget was just not it. We had some great times but in general the line up compared to the price increases (higher price, less days, not much things i really wanted to see) is not worth it anymore.

next to that, the food prices became so much higher since the first time i visited Sziget, 8 years ago. 

I think for a lot Dutch people this will be the last time. I overheard several conversations saying the foodprices are not acceptable anymore. People have to travel and pay for the festival. Sziget was able to be compete with Dutch festivals because of cheaper prices. It’s not like that anymore. It is cheaper to go to Down the rabbit hole or Lowlands where the line up is better than come all the way to Budapest. 

What I noticed 8 years ago is still happening: the further you get in to the week, the more prices starts to rise. A wrap gyros was at the beginning 4500 (more than 11 euro’s really??) yesterday it was 4900… A lot bars didn’t have all the drinks anymore, the same for food.

Im concerned about the future of the festival.

• Upvote 1

TL;DR: this post will be too harsh for the common sentiment in this forum, but in the end I love this fest.

I know I am regarded in as a moaner, so I'll try to tone it down a notch and provide my experience related to the 3 days I've been to Sziget this year, staying outside the island for the first year since 2014.

In the first place I wasn't even looking to come to Sziget, but since loads of people I know would have gone to and there were some bands I actually cared about, I bought a flight and reserved an hotel and went.

The first thing I gotta say, is that the infrastructure AROUND the festivals (transportation, cab drivers and all) worked really good, with the only con being that some cab driver would try to charge hellish amount of money for taking you from sziget back home at night. That is not a Sziget problem, since taxi drivers from time to time happen to be loathing people.

Now, back to the things that I found more significant to form an opinion about this edition:

- Decorations were off. I'm not talking about the K-hìd being without flags (a shame on its own), but mainly about the sculptures and the artistic atmosphere that permeated the island, allowing somebody to have good reference for a tent spot (i.e. "near the plastic dragon" or "near the spikey unicorn"), also flags, umbrellas, lights, etc.

- What happened to illumination? The island at night was DARK: outside the Freedome's (the A38, ffs) garden-side, it was so dark I stumbled multiple times on people lying down or sitting quietly. First time getting in I was so disoriented by the light and signal scarcity and the dust, that we ended up at Magic Mirror

The sand. Yes, the drought, of course. How come, though, that the natural reserve part was green as a pea and we got poor man's Burning Man? I see two responsibles for this: Budapest City had two years to bother about redeveloping the green and, apparently, did nothing, Sziget couldn't even care to distribute masks (COVID era, if anybody minded) or wet the soil from time to time. That has been a deal breaker for anybody I heard: nobody was nearly okay with that.

Private camping taking every decent spot. The "free camping area" becoming the "suggested free camping area" says a lot about the direction taken in this matter by the organization. In the last 8 years I orbited around the festival, private camping grew more and more both in number and in space taken - this year they also took arguably the best spots to camp (i.e. the woods near the beach), putting another paywall in an already expensive experience.

Lineup. I will not dwell onto this too much because it has become clear as day that I slipped out of the target's audience: sign of the time, cool and all. BUT the timeslot allocation was pitiful. Having the A38 clear of clash while major headliners were playing made the crowd unbearable at the Main Stage and, although anybody loves a crowded MS, the dust made the situation so unhealthy. Another thing I noticed in this regard is that some nights (i.e. Saturday) had 0 balance between Coliseum-Party Arena and A38, meaning that the north part of the island was not walkable in almost any sense.

Prices. I know that Northern Europeans will be like "what about that? Still costs less than R&L", but the price increase was unfair, period. They were inactive two years, sure, and there is a 6-10% inflation rate, of course, but this does not justify: 1) Ticket increase for a festival that lasts 1 day less, with less entertainment and with no apparent form of major investment in the lineup; 2) food and beverage increase by almost 100%; 3) any paywall present, from private camping to locker increasing their price by a solid 50%. The festival had almost no hungarians left and every Southern European I met was gutted by the expenses. For me, it turned down that doing 3 days without camping costed as much as it costed to do a full week camping in Alternativa in 2015 (not taking hotel cost into account).

Acoustic. Might have been only me, but wasn't the sound of almost any non-electronic A38 concert odd? Also any headliner in the main from the back was meh at best: for JB I did not care that much, but for Tame Impala I was kind of pissed - after switching places three times getting closer and closer, we just bailed on and went taking a spot for Caribou.

The concerts per se were okay, I had the chance to cross some very desired names off my bucket list like Tame Impala, Caribou and Jon Hopkins and discovered some very interesting new ones like Sevdaliza or BADBADNOTGOOD, but anyway nothing that justifies a 1000€+ festival experience, sadly.

I love Sziget, but I kissed it goodbye after Floating Points live ended. Best way to conclude a 8 years relationship that deeply influenced me as a human being. 

It surely is a festival that deserves to be experienced at least once, and I will promote it fiercely to anybody who has not been there, but it is no longer the kind of experience you do every year.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

TL;DR: this post will be too harsh for the common sentiment in this forum, but in the end I love this fest.

I know I am regarded in as a moaner, so I'll try to tone it down a notch and provide my experience related to the 3 days I've been to Sziget this year, staying outside the island for the first year since 2014.

In the first place I wasn't even looking to come to Sziget, but since loads of people I know would have gone to and there were some bands I actually cared about, I bought a flight and reserved an hotel and went.

The first thing I gotta say, is that the infrastructure AROUND the festivals (transportation, cab drivers and all) worked really good, with the only con being that some cab driver would try to charge hellish amount of money for taking you from sziget back home at night. That is not a Sziget problem, since taxi drivers from time to time happen to be loathing people.

Now, back to the things that I found more significant to form an opinion about this edition:

- Decorations were off. I'm not talking about the K-hìd being without flags (a shame on its own), but mainly about the sculptures and the artistic atmosphere that permeated the island, allowing somebody to have good reference for a tent spot (i.e. "near the plastic dragon" or "near the spikey unicorn"), also flags, umbrellas, lights, etc.

- What happened to illumination? The island at night was DARK: outside the Freedome's (the A38, ffs) garden-side, it was so dark I stumbled multiple times on people lying down or sitting quietly. First time getting in I was so disoriented by the light and signal scarcity and the dust, that we ended up at Magic Mirror

The sand. Yes, the drought, of course. How come, though, that the natural reserve part was green as a pea and we got poor man's Burning Man? I see two responsibles for this: Budapest City had two years to bother about redeveloping the green and, apparently, did nothing, Sziget couldn't even care to distribute masks (COVID era, if anybody minded) or wet the soil from time to time. That has been a deal breaker for anybody I heard: nobody was nearly okay with that.

Private camping taking every decent spot. The "free camping area" becoming the "suggested free camping area" says a lot about the direction taken in this matter by the organization. In the last 8 years I orbited around the festival, private camping grew more and more both in number and in space taken - this year they also took arguably the best spots to camp (i.e. the woods near the beach), putting another paywall in an already expensive experience.

Lineup. I will not dwell onto this too much because it has become clear as day that I slipped out of the target's audience: sign of the time, cool and all. BUT the timeslot allocation was pitiful. Having the A38 clear of clash while major headliners were playing made the crowd unbearable at the Main Stage and, although anybody loves a crowded MS, the dust made the situation so unhealthy. Another thing I noticed in this regard is that some nights (i.e. Saturday) had 0 balance between Coliseum-Party Arena and A38, meaning that the north part of the island was not walkable in almost any sense.

Prices. I know that Northern Europeans will be like "what about that? Still costs less than R&L", but the price increase was unfair, period. They were inactive two years, sure, and there is a 6-10% inflation rate, of course, but this does not justify: 1) Ticket increase for a festival that lasts 1 day less, with less entertainment and with no apparent form of major investment in the lineup; 2) food and beverage increase by almost 100%; 3) any paywall present, from private camping to locker increasing their price by a solid 50%. The festival had almost no hungarians left and every Southern European I met was gutted by the expenses. For me, it turned down that doing 3 days without camping costed as much as it costed to do a full week camping in Alternativa in 2015 (not taking hotel cost into account).

Acoustic. Might have been only me, but wasn't the sound of almost any non-electronic A38 concert odd? Also any headliner in the main from the back was meh at best: for JB I did not care that much, but for Tame Impala I was kind of pissed - after switching places three times getting closer and closer, we just bailed on and went taking a spot for Caribou.

The concerts per se were okay, I had the chance to cross some very desired names off my bucket list like Tame Impala, Caribou and Jon Hopkins and discovered some very interesting new ones like Sevdaliza or BADBADNOTGOOD, but anyway nothing that justifies a 1000€+ festival experience, sadly.

I love Sziget, but I kissed it goodbye after Floating Points live ended. Best way to conclude a 8 years relationship that deeply influenced me as a human being. 

It surely is a festival that deserves to be experienced at least once, and I will promote it fiercely to anybody who has not been there, but it is no longer the kind of experience you do every year.

Thanks for the broad explanation. As this was my first SZiget I know can see what it feels like if you go each year.

Although my experiences were quite positive I am not thinking about buying tickets immediately. I really need to wait for the line up. 

1 hour ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Quite a good and reasoned review. Will also by my last. Not so much negative experience of the festival. I actually don't mind the food prices, as I treat it as a holiday.

One if the main disappointments was food variety, not much choice. I can understand why with food poisoning on the old food set ups. 

It does seem like any other festival now, rather something a bit different. 

• Upvote 1

Overall a decent edition and really enjoyed myself, but not going home with a big ‘wow’ feeling and the urge of telling everyone about Sziget, which I definitely had after my first Sziget in 2018. 

The next two years are going to be critical for the future of Sziget. This year’s edition should give them the financial freedom to make the proper choices and they’ll have a whole year to prepare (which wasn’t fully the case due to the 2nd/3rd wave lockdowns end of 2021/beginning 2022).

But I’m not blindly buying my ticket again for next year. The line-up will have to be topnotch, both headliners AND undercard. 

Pricewise they’ll have to rethink their strategy to compete with the other European festivals. Lowering food prices (which I doubt) or offering more quality for the price paid. 

While it started rather good, I also think that was my last Sziget if promoters won’t change the way of operating festival. 

Lineup was okay, not splendid but also not terrible, and let’s be honest Sziget was never about lineup in the first place, this festival attracts you with its atmosphere of joy and celebration, which was ruined for me this year. Smaller festival area in general, less place for basic camping — people had to set near walking roads, bridge looked poor, no Flag Alley near A38 / Freedome, no sculptures, no Luminarium, no decorations in general. Lack of something massive like drum show with fireworks in 2019, no fireworks and glowsticks at Calvin Harris show. 

Everything felt so cheap in comparison with 2018-2019, while prices rose enormously — from tickets to lockers. Food became almost twice more expensive (1200 HUF for a slice of pizza in 2019 vs 2000 HUF in 2022). Dust was horrible, kept bandana on my face 90% of time, didn’t help much, still coughing and probably will be for a couple of weeks.

And the last but not the least is telling from the main stage every day that you don’t care about the nationality, religion or sexuality of your guests and then allow to put “Russians are terrorists” on the main stage screen is the greatest hypocrisy I’ve ever seen. Met many people at the festival and when was asked always responded where I from, never heard any bad word towards me or my country in general, but when the festival agreed to give a stage to the so-called “artist”, who literally tells “Russians are barely people” on its show, for one moment I just felt unsafe to stay at the island. 

To end on a good note, my top-3 shows this week were Jungle, Caribou and Arctic Monkeys. What about yours? 

• Downvote 1

I've had fun and all that, but my idea is, if you are a festival really hurt by covid, then get 1 less stage and "only" about 120 acts, but try to give people soap, masks, and all the lights and vibes you are known for and that made your festival unique.

Btw when it comes to food prices, I've always bought food for 11 eur, I don't think that's an incredible money at a major festival, it just takes some time to have a proper walk around the festival and compare the prices. 

My part:

Looking at these comments on Reddit thread people massively saying this was their last edition looks like Sziget organizers didn't do themself a favour with this edition. 

I had a hard time with ticket prices going up that high for 1 day less to the point that practically cuts off Hungarians and people from most of their neighborhood countries (that's why most of the visitors were speaking English or Duch ), imagine paying 1/2 of your monthly payment just for a ticket. So i was hoping for stellar lineup and perfect organization

No stellar line up was provided at first, i think we can all agree to that (but not saying bad), turning more to EDM is also another way to save some money but in long term idk... look at the Exit festival as an example, from best in Europe to almost quite marginal fest (with all respect to them).

And now one step back was made in terms of organization (prices, lines, dust, less activities, showers, worse free camping etc.)

Making mistakes is okay but now it's time to fix them, next edition is going to be crucial. 

Music wise:

Enjoyed KOL, Alice Merton, Stromae, Kensington, Tame Impala, Sigrid, Anne Marie the most, Bastille also seemed okay.

From other stages, Riles was a pleasant surprise, Lola Marsh was super nice. Spend some time in the Party arena and tribute stage.

Dua was great too but my experience was ruined by bad sound and terribly loud "debate club" around me and I ended up being frustrated. 

Noticed a couple of thing about timeline/staging: 

- There is no good alternative when headliner is on

- At more electronic days (Calvin Harris day) Arena and colloseum area was overcrowded by electronic fans while there is nothing appealing to them on the other side of the island to balance the crowd around.

- The new Dropyard stage is quite big and spacious but it did not attract big crowds

Overall still great festival, would recommend to everyone to go at least once in life but i hope organizers will taken into account some constructive criticism

How much do you expect early birds are going to be?

Overall I had a great time as usual but I found that I loved it as I arrived but gradually just felt worn down by it. The things they need to address for me are:

The dust - serious watering or matting is needed. I remember at previous Szigets just sitting out in the main arena and gradually getting into some performances that I had little or no idea about previously. No chance of that this year. I would only go there for people I really wanted to see.It was seriously unpleasant and unhealthy.

The food - we could only look at it as fuel - there was virtually nothing interesting. Around the Petofi stage there was a cluster of food stalls and pretty much EVERY one was selling burgers........Nuggets, burgers, kebabs, hot dogs everywhere.

How many years does Sziget have to run out of cider at nearly every stall by day 2 before they order more?

Stages - Don’t have stages for the sake of it when half of them aren’t open all day, or close at 10 pm. Double them up .....& then think about spacing them for sound bleed - Dropyard next to Music Box? Really? Use the space on camping and money saved on decor, or a better undercard that spreads the crowd.

This was our 3rd Sziget in 6 years and we’d go again, but we’d be waiting for the line up. Previously it’s been like Glastonbury - the overall vibe and the reliability of a decent variety of acts was enough, I’m not so sure now.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Any ideas of alternatives to sziget in Europe, as in the camping and arena being as one. The same as Glastonbury and sziget. 

Sziget's airport security make it hardly matter vs glastonbury where you can bring booze in. honestly not sure for festivals that allow it sorry

+

Again, I met great people from different countries, will see them again ❤️

Shows were good (really liked this Europe Stage this year, with SYML an cleopatrick in particular). EVEN Kings of Leon (mainStage) was great to me, very good musicians and the leadinger voice was more than just ok ! and to those who say " yeaah but they don't interact with public!" : I don't give a fuck. I interact with the music, that's enough to me. Listen to "Time in disguise" and understand that it is a "personal" moment for example.

-

damn... decorations were definitely missing, not just even the bridge, but inside the fest' area ! Very disappointed about that.

food prices... come on lol... some were over 20€ !! amazing !

very week A38 (Freedome) line up to me this year

IN GENERAL

I would definitely put an end to BIG headliners like Justin Bieber. They cost a lot and ruin the day for the other acts, with "too much" people coming early and sitting , waiting for the main event. - took me 20 minutes to leave the area after Stromae !! 20 minutes to do "MainStage --> Freedome" !

I'd rather have a better "middle names" line up than BIG headliners. Especially POP headliners (Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, ...). Worst fans ever... sorry 😕

My points:

Arctic Monkeys were so wasted, I especially appreciated the close shot on big LCD when Alex forgot the words, it looked like he forgot where he is right now.

I wonder if the close shot was on purpose from the organizators side as they are fed up when they showed up wasted for the second time and maybe wanted to embarass them.

Maybe no more Arctic Monkeys at Sziget next time, Im wondering why people are not talking about it at all.

Another my question is - what happened with the bridge signs - logistically it needs to exist somewhere - did rats eat it over the pandemic or? 🙂

I would prefer stronger lineup not for the lineup itself but for the fact that there will be less ONEDAY ticket goers, I personally dont like them at all, they behave the worst and ruining the festival experience.

What I also dont understand why would Sziget let "One Night Party Entrance" which would allow people to go for night party for one day.

This is potentially very dangerous to the security and thievery, do not like this idea at all.

For the first time Im thinking not to buy Prime pass and wait for last minute ticketswap prices.

P.S: Did you hear the story how someone sh*t in someones tent?

This has to be the worst experience when you come back from the party and see this.

• Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, lukatej said:

Arctic Monkeys were so wasted, I especially appreciated the close shot on big LCD when Alex forgot the words, it looked like he forgot where he is right now.

I wonder if the close shot was on purpose from the organizators side as they are fed up when they showed up wasted for the second time and maybe wanted to embarass them.

Maybe no more Arctic Monkeys at Sziget next time, Im wondering why people are not talking about it at all.

They're not the best in the world but Alex didn't forget the words. You're talking about "One Point Perspective" where he sings "I’ve lost my train of thought" and then pretends that he’s lost his train of thought. Even if he did forget the words, I still think they would book them next time as they sell a lot of tickets.

Edited by Newjem
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lukatej said:

My points:

Another my question is - what happened with the bridge signs - logistically it needs to exist somewhere - did rats eat it over the pandemic or? 🙂

I would prefer stronger lineup not for the lineup itself but for the fact that there will be less ONEDAY ticket goers, I personally dont like them at all, they behave the worst and ruining the festival experience.

What I also dont understand why would Sziget let "One Night Party Entrance" which would allow people to go for night party for one day.

This is potentially very dangerous to the security and thievery, do not like this idea at all.

For the first time Im thinking not to buy Prime pass and wait for last minute ticketswap prices.

P.S: Did you hear the story how someone sh*t in someones tent?

This has to be the worst experience when you come back from the party and see this.

You must be on the wind up hahaha.

He sings “I lost my train of thought” before acting as if he has lost where he was going with the song. He has been doing this since TBH+C was released 4 years ago. 

And I thought Arctic Monkeys were excellent. The setlist was as close to perfect as they are ever likely to do. They balanced old and new perfectly and we got Cornerstone. What a time to be alive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DaveD said:

You must be on the wind up hahaha.

He sings “I lost my train of thought” before acting as if he has lost where he was going with the song. He has been doing this since TBH+C was released 4 years ago. 

And I thought Arctic Monkeys were excellent. The setlist was as close to perfect as they are ever likely to do. They balanced old and new perfectly and we got Cornerstone. What a time to be alive.

haha, I didnt know that, as I saw them for the second time and for the second time he was f**ked up, so I was like thats just AM Classic. He was mumbling a lot and often he went out of the rhythm, mostly in the second part.

The setlist itself was close to perfection and I loved the Cornerstone!

So you tell me that scene was staged?

That makes actually sense, if you put it that way, but thats very good acting then. Just look at the scene again 🙂