Sziget 2022

Matt86

Listening to the official Spotify playlist, finally. I don't understand why they don't have more rock acts, especially when the area at night (sponsored by Budapest Park) is absolutely rammed and only plays rock music, same when Jack Daniels had that designated area.  

The music isn't the main reason why I go to Sziget, but just always baffled me why they don't have many rock acts anymore. 

17 minutes ago, SpongeNob said:

Listening to the official Spotify playlist, finally. I don't understand why they don't have more rock acts, especially when the area at night (sponsored by Budapest Park) is absolutely rammed and only plays rock music, same when Jack Daniels had that designated area.  

The music isn't the main reason why I go to Sziget, but just always baffled me why they don't have many rock acts anymore. 

I used to think so but this year literally half of their headliners are guitar-oriented.
There are many bands in the undercard, just not so famous yet, new generation of rock (Black Honey, Nova Twins, Palaye Royale, Giant Rooks, Iceage etc.)

5 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

I used to think so but this year literally half of their headliners are guitar-oriented.
There are many bands in the undercard, just not so famous yet, new generation of rock (Black Honey, Nova Twins, Palaye Royale, Giant Rooks, Iceage etc.)

I can highly recommend Black Honey. Great live band.

I just got back from HellFest ..

Damn ... with NIN, Gun's & Roses + Metallica as headliners, I really can't ask for more now, they fuckin' rocked I wasn't expecting such great shows (especially NIN, that's UNIQUE ❤️ )

So gimme anyone you want instead of Justin Bieber, I will not complain lol 😂 just let the rest of the line up be ! George Ezra, Maneskin or Glass Animals as sub for Stromae fits perfectly well to me ^^

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I just got back from HellFest ..

Damn ... with NIN, Gun's & Roses + Metallica as headliners, I really can't ask for more now, they fuckin' rocked I wasn't expecting such great shows (especially NIN, that's UNIQUE ❤️ )

So gimme anyone you want instead of Justin Bieber, I will not complain lol 😂 just let the rest of the line up be ! George Ezra, Maneskin or Glass Animals as sub for Stromae fits perfectly well to me ^^

I first saw Nine Inch Nails in 1994. I got into them after hearing 'Head Like A Hole' played before a Guns n Roses gig in 1992. God, I'm old!!

Last night, I saw Phoebe Bridgers which shows how my gig-going has mellowed!

George Ezra bores me senseless but would be happy with Maneskin or Glass Animals.

Edited by swelsbyuk

6 hours ago, thetime said:

I suppose if you look at it logically, Ezra would fit in bieber day if he pulled out. 

George Ezra to substitute Justin Bieber = Budapest metropolitan area burned down to ashes by angry Beliebers 

Srsly, Ezra is not even Sub material in mainland Europe, nobody even remembers him despite Budapest - he's a Passenger/Jake Bugg dude

18 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

George Ezra to substitute Justin Bieber = Budapest metropolitan area burned down to ashes by angry Beliebers 

Srsly, Ezra is not even Sub material in mainland Europe, nobody even remembers him despite Budapest - he's a Passenger/Jake Bugg dude

That is just not true. He is not as big as in UK but  still a respectible name outside

28 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

That's why I said fitting into bieber day, rather than headline. Stromrae/ezra. If he did pull out, it's not going to be easy and perhaps impossible to get a like for like replacement.

2 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I do not agree with you. In a country like NL he had several hits. Not as huge as Budapest. But much higher profile than Passenger/Jake Bugg. In NL more to compare with Sam Fender (but i prefer Sam Fender). 

knowing that 15-20% of the visitors is Dutch (at least before covid). It’s an interesting artist to book. 

2 hours ago, Qishere said:

I do not agree with you. In a country like NL he had several hits. Not as huge as Budapest. But much higher profile than Passenger/Jake Bugg. In NL more to compare with Sam Fender (but i prefer Sam Fender). 

knowing that 15-20% of the visitors is Dutch (at least before covid). It’s an interesting artist to book. 

It was only 6% in 2019 🙂 But Ezra is definitely big enough for sub-headline slot, he's playing quite big venues in some European countries next year. If Anne-Marie, Sam Fender and Rüfüs Du Sol can do it, so can Ezra...

Edited by Newjem
  • Like 1

Ezra played at 4pm a few years ago. Almost noone knows him here. And at least 40% of visitors are Hungarian.

Though it's an international festival, you still need to look at locals. That's why we won't have Dave either, completely unknown. Even Biffy Clyro as a sub were a big gamble a few years ago, as much as I love them. 

It's either Halsey to fill in or 2-3 smaller, cheaper names who can play during the day. Think of names like Black Eyed Peas, that rings a bell for most people and shouldn't be super expensive.

Local beliebers will burn the city at first anyway but might actually come out to the festival when they realize they could only sell their tickets on the cheap. They could especially turn up for someone they've at least heard of.

Edit: i would say Ezra to 4pm again is okay but then they've done nothing for beliebers.

Edit2: just came home from Volt Festival and the scary phenomenon was that the local boyband Halott Penz attracted more people than Muse, or Sum41, or the Killers. I could see Halott Penz and stuff like that pulled onto the main stage to that day for 4pm or even 5.45pm, as they have a similar target audience. It's not something I want, just something i fear, they could be gap fillers.

Edited by kristofm
Someone had an ok point so i needed to clarify

2 hours ago, iamdebrii said:

So are we 100% that Bieber will cancel his August dates?

No I don’t think it’s 100%, but I don’t think we will know for another few weeks at least. Maybe mid-July (when I think someone said they will announce the schedules) we’ll have a better idea as I think his next performance date is 31st July. 
I agree with those who think Stromae will be bumped up, with another sub booked. As I think it’s too short notice to try and find a suitable like for like replacement for JB anyways 

20 hours ago, kristofm said:

Edit2: just came home from Volt Festival and the scary phenomenon was that the local boyband Halott Penz attracted more people than Muse, or Sum41, or the Killers. I could see Halott Penz and stuff like that pulled onto the main stage to that day for 4pm or even 5.45pm, as they have a similar target audience. It's not something I want, just something i fear, they could be gap fillers.

How was Volt? I heard different opinions, how was attendance?  

Looking at Primavera/Glasto topic, i hope Sziget won't outsell festival, i'm a bit affraid it could be overcrowded

My opinion if Bieber will pull out:

- Stromae headliner and Halsey will fill in the spot of Stromae.  She is around because of Reading/Leeds and SZiget seems to fit. 

-Stromae as a co- headliner together with Black Eyed peas . Worth to notice that they have the same manager as Bieber and they are around in the summer. 

Yeah Bieber fans won’t be happy at all but in the end this will be the best and one of the only possible solution in my opinion. 

15 hours ago, activean said:

How was Volt? I heard different opinions, how was attendance?  

Looking at Primavera/Glasto topic, i hope Sziget won't outsell festival, i'm a bit affraid it could be overcrowded

It was weird, I've been there 11 years ago and it had a completely different vibe. Now it was a bit boring during the day, we spent them by going back to the city to get food and drinks, drank by the entrance of the festival, got in by the evening. Beers were 1000 huf, good thing's that they had IPAs on tap, hope Sziget will have them too, Dreher lager is my least favourite of all.

It wasn't really crowded, no big queues, no huge crowd for the headliners, I don't think it was sold out. But it's nothing like Sziget, it was 3 small stages literally next to each other plus main stage plus food trucks. People were ok. Camping was perfectly fine for a festival. So it's clean and not crowded but quite boring. I thought there'll be things to do during the day.

edit: the annoying thing was that there was no interesting band until 8-9pm, then all of sudden from 9 to 12 there was everyone, then nothing again. you know what i mean. I couldn't go to some good gigs because they were all once, but then nothing exciting during the day.

Edited by kristofm
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kristofm said:

It was weird, I've been there 11 years ago and it had a completely different vibe. Now it was a bit boring during the day, we spent them by going back to the city to get food and drinks, drank by the entrance of the festival, got in by the evening. Beers were 1000 huf, good thing's that they had IPAs on tap, hope Sziget will have them too, Dreher lager is my least favourite of all.

It wasn't really crowded, no big queues, no huge crowd for the headliners, I don't think it was sold out. But it's nothing like Sziget, it was 3 small stages literally next to each other plus main stage plus food trucks. People were ok. Camping was perfectly fine for a festival. So it's clean and not crowded but quite boring. I thought there'll be things to do during the day.

edit: the annoying thing was that there was no interesting band until 8-9pm, then all of sudden from 9 to 12 there was everyone, then nothing again. you know what i mean. I couldn't go to some good gigs because they were all once, but then nothing exciting during the day.

Good news on the beer prices and, yes, IPAs would be very welcome at Sziget. I don't mind Dreher but there are a lot better drinks out there.