Sziget 2022

Matt86

13 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I actually would HATE having Megan Thee Stalion.

Sziget has never been a rap festival, before 2014 you couldn't see any single rap act. But in 2014, they tried Outkast.. ok for one act, a very popular (and good) one actually. But then, a little bit more year after year.. and now in 2022, look at the first names : slowthai, princess nokia, yunglean, rilès, etc.... more and more rap names, not even big ones..

Sorry for those who like rap, but it wasn't Sziget music type before 2014 and I'm kinda disapointed to see what this fest' is becoming, by "popular" demand I guess...

The music landscape has changed since 2014, unfortunately festival organisers are relying on dated guitars music still to headline festivals.

King's of Leon ate as dated as you can get. Hey even reading festival have an act who's last album was well over 20 years ago.

Festival should be getting headliners that a current, unfortunately most headliners are at best meh.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I actually would HATE having Megan Thee Stalion.

Sziget has never been a rap festival, before 2014 you couldn't see any single rap act. But in 2014, they tried Outkast.. ok for one act, a very popular (and good) one actually. But then, a little bit more year after year.. and now in 2022, look at the first names : slowthai, princess nokia, yunglean, rilès, etc.... more and more rap names, not even big ones..

Sorry for those who like rap, but it wasn't Sziget music type before 2014 and I'm kinda disapointed to see what this fest' is becoming, by "popular" demand I guess...

I don’t think that’s a change in the festival ethos. They have always booked acts who are registering high in popular culture, and since 2014, rap has exerted greater dominance in popular culture generally. Even Ed Sheeran & Taylor Swift throw little raps into their tunes. It’s ubiquitous and that’s why it’ll be there.

Megan Thee Stallion is probably not my thing either though, but teenagers who think swearing and sex talk is somehow revolutionary will no doubt love her.

1 hour ago, misterplow said:

But wouldn't Megan Thee Stallion be a more inspired booking than Arctic Monkeys who just played there in 2018 and Kings Of Leon who basically play every festival season and still rely on two hits they've had in 2009? 

It has nothing to do with "inspiration", a garbage remains a garbage, and Megan thee Stallion belongs in one. I'd rather give the sub-headline spot to Doja Cat, way more attractive to the ears than MTS...I can't even call what she does "Music", sorry.

(Plus, I'm not a HUGE fan, but KoL are way more than just the 2 "radio hits" everyone knows lol, it is not THAT bad at all when you take the time to listen a bit more.... and before you say it, YES, 'I've listen a lot of MTS... )

• Downvote 1

I don't want to hope for the Rap God because we might MTS instead and it would be a huge dissapointment.

But I really think that Sziget needs a big quality act like Eminem on that poster and someone like MTS isn't it. I would prefer something like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Adele, even Kanye West or Justin Timberlake if they can't get Eminem.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

4 hours ago, misterplow said:

But wouldn't Megan Thee Stallion be a more inspired booking than Arctic Monkeys who just played there in 2018 and Kings Of Leon who basically play every festival season and still rely on two hits they've had in 2009? 

Indeed, the point is that I can postpone Kings of Leon or Arctic Monkeys (and both have more than a few bangers in their average setlist, but they are unbelievably flat live shows) until the rest of the headliners are somehow fresh or brings something of value worth to be attended.

Megan Thee Stallion, might be the first woman rapper in Houston, but that hardly amounts to anything that matters to me - wanna book a rap artist? Cool! But bring someone with a good show or, if really that cannot be done, just waste money on some real exclusive name (the genre allows this kind of thinking) - like Eminem, for an instance.

7 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Megan Thee Stallion, might be the first woman rapper in Houston, but that hardly amounts to anything that matters to me - wanna book a rap artist? Cool! But bring someone with a good show or, if really that cannot be done, just waste money on some real exclusive name (the genre allows this kind of thinking) - like Eminem, for an instance.

Yeah, Em is on my bucket list. Someday...

Anyway, I`ve seen lots of rap acts live and mostly it gets boring in 20-30 minutes. Only Childish Gambino was talented and diverse enough to capture the crowd for the whole stay (yeah, I saw Kendrick and Drake a few times, 3,5\5 max)

1 hour ago, Nikky said:

I wanted to see Glass Animals and Gang of youths but than saw they were at Sziget lately. 

Glass Animals didn’t play last year due to the cancellation - their tour dates look like a return is inbound (playing austria a few days after).

Gang of Youths were fantastic in 2019 but look ruled out (in New Zealand and Australia around Sziget)

• Thanks 1

Merry Christmas, folks! Hopefully Sziget will bring us some surprizes next year and that corona won't cancel another edition.

I was wondering these days about the chances of having a Sziget headliner an act that was on a hiatus for some years. Take for example Duffy. She's been on a hiatus for 10 years, but she released a song this year on her instagram account. Would she big enough to be one of the Sziget headliners?

Which other acts could potentially announce a comeback next year?

17 hours ago, Visitor said:

I don't think Duffy would be big enough to headline. 

Not a chance surely, like not even close? I’m guessing the fact she is being mentioned means she’s bigger in mainland Europe than the UK but headline seems absurd

On 12/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, #1SzigetFan said:

Merry Christmas, folks! Hopefully Sziget will bring us some surprizes next year and that corona won't cancel another edition.

I was wondering these days about the chances of having a Sziget headliner an act that was on a hiatus for some years. Take for example Duffy. She's been on a hiatus for 10 years, but she released a song this year on her instagram account. Would she big enough to be one of the Sziget headliners?

Had to google the name, althought that reminded me of something. Wouldn't be a benchmark, if the singer's prime time was in the early '10.

I guess thatnunless the coming back from the hiatus is somehow a breakthrough in the genre or the band/singer is not an iconic anthem-maker generation-marker one (My Chemical Romance or RATM are the firsts I think about), then I wouldn't give much of a chance.

12 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Had to google the name, althought that reminded me of something. Wouldn't be a benchmark, if the singer's prime time was in the early '10.

I guess thatnunless the coming back from the hiatus is somehow a breakthrough in the genre or the band/singer is not an iconic anthem-maker generation-marker one (My Chemical Romance or RATM are the firsts I think about), then I wouldn't give much of a chance.

Well, she won 3 BRIT Awards and a Grammy in 2009. I think she might go on tour and she would have a chance for at least an A38 headline / 19:30 Main Stage slot if she comes back with a well received new album in the first half of 2022.

6 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Well, she won 3 BRIT Awards and a Grammy in 2009. I think she might go on tour and she would have a chance for at least an A38 headline / 19:30 Main Stage slot if she comes back with a well received new album in the first half of 2022.

I would say that is one of the more outlandish rumours we have had.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, #1SzigetFan said:

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe it one second .. 😕 she's a " 2 singles hits" artist, and even if her work was good, it wasn't very popular... Even a Georges Ezra would have more chance to sub-headline.

For the (at least) 3 missing headliners, I still believe in Calvin Harris (or/AND an equal/superior EDM act), 1 Rap and 1 Pop act.

And for the 3 remainings sub-headliners, my Biffy Clyro hope is still alive, since they are in Germany the 16 August 😇

3 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe it one second .. 😕 she's a " 2 singles hits" artist, and even if her work was good, it wasn't very popular... Even a Georges Ezra would have more chance to sub-headline.

For the (at least) 3 missing headliners, I still believe in Calvin Harris (or/AND an equal/superior EDM act), 1 Rap and 1 Pop act.

And for the 3 remainings sub-headliners, my Biffy Clyro hope is still alive, since they are in Germany the 16 August 😇

Don't say 'even George Ezra', he is miles more likely to headline than fucking Duffy. Not the most inspired artist but he's a big name and modern

22 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

An A38 head spot is more likely, or even the spot before that clashes with MS headliner - 19.30 main stage is way way more important as a spot and that would define either a one-trick-pony kind of day (think Robbie Williams, 2015) or an overall weak day (think Galantis 2017).

12 hours ago, gfa said:

Don't say 'even George Ezra', he is miles more likely to headline than fucking Duffy. Not the most inspired artist but he's a big name and modern

NOBODY. gives. a. rat's. ass. about. George. Ezra. in. mainland. europe.

4 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

NOBODY. gives. a. rat's. ass. about. George. Ezra. in. mainland. europe.

Clearly not the case, sure spotify isn't the best resource but he has 137k monthly listeners in Amsterdam - a city with a population of about 1 million vs 188k in London which has 10 million. Clearly the dutch love him

also Robbie Williams and Duffy aren't even comparable.

23 hours ago, gfa said:

Clearly not the case, sure spotify isn't the best resource but he has 137k monthly listeners in Amsterdam - a city with a population of about 1 million vs 188k in London which has 10 million. Clearly the dutch love him

also Robbie Williams and Duffy aren't even comparable.

isn't he also big in Hungary because of the Budapest song?