Jump to content

Do you have one single favourite song?


jimmillen
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

I was not meaning to start a recommendations thread but I’m here for it! 😂

Maybe will start a Spotify playlist depending on how many more turn up 🙂

I presume you were looking for a better answer that "give me a fortnight and i will come back to you with a top 100 categorised by genre, mood, era and live experience..."

Your answer should probably have been "what, right now..!?" and then give her the latest earworm thats been bouncing about your brain.

Not a bad tune for a 7 year old btw...

You should get a book and note down the date and the song and ask the same question every month. It will be a marvellous thing to share when you are buying her her first (legal) Glastonbury beer in 11 years time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn’t even know where to begin answering that question. Could give you ten now and a completely different ten in five minutes…

Yeah exactly this!

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I always figure with shit like this it's such a common question just have an answer ready then you can discuss and bring more up or move on. I always say reservoir dogs is my favourite film for instance.

Good strategy right there 👍

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Funeral song is a different question though.

In which case Sunshine On Leith is the champion's choice and one to beat.

I’m not goth enough to start a thread on funeral songs 😂

16 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

You should get a book and note down the date and the song and ask the same question every month. It will be a marvellous thing to share when you are buying her her first (legal) Glastonbury beer in 11 years time.

Absolute genius idea. Not sure I’m organised enough for it tbh but worth a try! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Great thread, it's made me revisit music I love. Agree with many on here that 'favourite'  changes as we hear new stuff and experience music at times of heightened emotion, but this still does it for me after 25(?) years

 

Wonderful stuff, that brings back some great memories 🙂

Keep ‘em coming… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Straight up. Nothing makes me happier, and has done so consistently without ever getting old.

 

Ooooh now that is a great shout. Outstanding banger from the era when I was first discovering the dancefloor… 😍

It’s probably down to hormones or something but the music & memories from teenage years always seem to hit different. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Funeral song is a different question though.

In which case Sunshine On Leith is the champion's choice and one to beat.

My funeral/cremation song, all 15 minutes. All my family are briefed. 

 

Followed by 

 

It's the only time I'll manage to get my friends to listen to this shit. 

 

I wanted to be taxidermied which gave a friend of mine an idea for a short film, I ended up starring in it and decided I didn't want to anymore

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Atmosphere by Joy Division. Has been for 40 years, so I can't see it changing now.

I made a playlist last week of the 20 songs I would choose if I could only listen to 20 songs for the rest of my life and Atmosphere is one of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Straight up. Nothing makes me happier, and has done so consistently without ever getting old.

 

cracking choice .... one I was  surprised to see posted though 🙂  .... one of the sounds of my visits to nightclubs in my younger days 🙂 nice 1 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way could I pick one song. I can't even do favourite sad song, favourite happy song and it totally would be mood dependant. 

Funeral songs I can do. Days by The Kinks (or even better the live Glastonbury version Ray did in 2010) I actually like the idea of having a lot of musical numbers. I could quite happily do a whole playlist. 

My husband's funeral song is It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) by REM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A song and an album I've listened to hundreds of times since it's release. Not my all-timer favourite but it deserves its time to shine. Simultaneously some of the most heart-breaking lyrics yet so inspiring and hopeful (listen to the album in full - it's an emotional journey). 

The studio version is cleaner of course, but this live performance captures the emotion wonderfully.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

A song and an album I've listened to hundreds of times since it's release. Not my all-timer favourite but it deserves its time to shine. Simultaneously some of the most heart-breaking lyrics yet so inspiring and hopeful (listen to the album in full - it's an emotional journey). 

The studio version is cleaner of course, but this live performance captures the emotion wonderfully.

 

I adore this song (also one of the 20 songs in the playlist I mentioned earlier) and album. My album of the decade for 2010-2019 and one of my favourite/most important albums of all-time. Nothing has touched this album since it came out five years ago. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

No way could I pick one song. I can't even do favourite sad song, favourite happy song and it totally would be mood dependant. 

Funeral songs I can do. Days by The Kinks (or even better the live Glastonbury version Ray did in 2010) I actually like the idea of having a lot of musical numbers. I could quite happily do a whole playlist. 

My husband's funeral song is It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) by REM. 

Ah, if we're talking funeral songs, then I've got 3 - Atmosphere - Joy Division (as mentioned before), White man in Hammersmith Palais - The Clash & The man don't give a fuck by Super Furry Animals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Atmosphere by Joy Division. Has been for 40 years, so I can't see it changing now.

 

4 hours ago, spg said:

I struggle between this and isolation 

Transmission would be mine. Very occasionally flitters but I always come back to it.

4 hours ago, Simsy said:

I'm going for Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire for my cremation.

Favourite song very much depends on mood.

Funeral song is a different discipline, but for very similar reasons I would go for Disco Inferno by The Trammps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...