Do you have one single favourite song?

jimmillen

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Right... I've decided, it's definitely Thunder Road.

And it's waves, not sways.

I refer you to the article that I'm not even going to link, because you've clearly read it.

I'll give you that the pronunciation on the studio version is indistinct, but most live versions it's pretty clearly sways.

1 hour ago, incident said:

I refer you to the article that I'm not even going to link, because you've clearly read it.

I'll give you that the pronunciation on the studio version is indistinct, but most live versions it's pretty clearly sways.

I've just read three articles on it.

Not having anything other than waves. Even if Bruce says sways in his book.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, Toilet Duck said:

Well...R.E.M are my favourite band. Lifes Rich Pageant is my favourite R.E.M album, and Fall on Me is my favourite song on the album...so I guess it might be my favourite song full stop. I've never skipped over it when I've heard it, it always makes me sing, it's made it onto umpteen playlists and mixtapes over the years and, case in point, when I went to YouTube for the clip, I listened to it twice before I posted!

Edit: and now that I've said that, it could be Country Feedback...don't make me choose!

That, sir, is an outstanding choice. Both of album and track.

Did you hear the cover version that Death Cab For Cutie did on their Georgia EP last year? 'tis good

• Like 1

I always come back to One Way by The Levellers. Predictable I know, and they have "better" songs, but this one just hits all of my buttons every time. Memories of first hearing it and having a "wow" moment, listening to it constantly on different albums, going to live shows, all of it.

I've gone for the live version from the 25th anniversary tour at Brixton because they used the "mad as hell" speech from Network as their walk on before launching into the song and it just worked soooo well.

Caveat: ask me next week and it could be a completely different answer 😄

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

That, sir, is an outstanding choice. Both of album and track.

Did you hear the cover version that Death Cab For Cutie did on their Georgia EP last year? 'tis good

Just checked it out there! (I do love a bit of Death Cab!) Yes, excellent cover, Ben sings it the way I do when I play it (basically the way Michael did on the unplugged version). R.E.M have just been a constant for me since the 80s, if I'd known when I saw them at Werchter back in '08 it would be the last time, I might have been a bit more emotional! Was at a conference in Atlanta a few years ago and had the Saturday afternoon off. Took the opportunity to go on a bit of a "pilgrimage" over to Athens to see some R.E.M sights...

644870198_2019-04-0311_28.05-1.JPG.a6c10ae1121fdd193204fe603136b20a.JPG

2019-04-03 11.39.26.JPG

2019-04-03 11.17.51.JPG

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Just checked it out there! (I do love a bit of Death Cab!) Yes, excellent cover, Ben sings it the way I do when I play it (basically the way Michael did on the unplugged version). R.E.M have just been a constant for me since the 80s, if I'd known when I saw them at Werchter back in '08 it would be the last time, I might have been a bit more emotional! Was at a conference in Atlanta a few years ago and had the Saturday afternoon off. Took the opportunity to go on a bit of a "pilgrimage" over to Athens to see some R.E.M sights...

644870198_2019-04-0311_28.05-1.JPG.a6c10ae1121fdd193204fe603136b20a.JPG

2019-04-03 11.39.26.JPG

2019-04-03 11.17.51.JPG

Ooh lovely stuff.  Been working through their back catalogue recently, LRP is next on the list. It's all good stuff, but IRS years were definitely my favourite

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ooh lovely stuff.  Been working through their back catalogue recently, LRP is next on the list. It's all good stuff, but IRS years were definitely my favourite

There's some great live versions of gems from back then on the Live at the Olympia album. Each night for a week as they practiced the new songs for Accelerate they threw in what Michael referred to as olive branches, old songs they hadn't played in years. Managed to make it to two nights and heard them play songs I'd never heard live before (a fantastic rendition of carnival of sorts the standout), well worth checking out!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I always come back to One Way by The Levellers. Predictable I know, and they have "better" songs, but this one just hits all of my buttons every time. Memories of first hearing it and having a "wow" moment, listening to it constantly on different albums, going to live shows, all of it.

I've gone for the live version from the 25th anniversary tour at Brixton because they used the "mad as hell" speech from Network as their walk on before launching into the song and it just worked soooo well.

4 weeks 🙂 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, Toilet Duck said:

Well...R.E.M are my favourite band. Lifes Rich Pageant is my favourite R.E.M album, and Fall on Me is my favourite song on the album...so I guess it might be my favourite song full stop. I've never skipped over it when I've heard it, it always makes me sing, it's made it onto umpteen playlists and mixtapes over the years and, case in point, when I went to YouTube for the clip, I listened to it twice before I posted!

Edit: and now that I've said that, it could be Country Feedback...don't make me choose!

I completely admire the decisiveness in this answer. I on the other hand would say they are one of my favourite bands and I'd probably struggle to pick a top 5 favourite songs by them let alone a favourite song of all time. 

Fall On Me would probably make my top 5 though along with Leave and Country Feedback the rest would be a bunfight but this is why I can't pick a single favourite song. 😄 

33 minutes ago, Quark said:

@Toilet Duck don't know if they do mail order...

Nice! Sold out already on REMHQ! (was only available in bundles there anyway, that's a nice price for the single on it's own). Have had all sorts of fun getting things in from the UK since Brexit though, will keep an eye on some of the EU sellers (it's only on pre-order in any of the stores near me at the moment), I'm sure it'll pop up!

To name one would be impossable but there are songs I return to again and again and so a likely top 5 would be;

Pictures of you - The Cure

There is a light that never goes out - The Smiths

Never let me down again - Depeche Mode

Dont swallow the cap - The National

Not even jail - Interpol

On 7/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, Quark said:

Great shout! Alas the Brixton live version ain’t on Spotify for the playlist. The original OK? Or alternatively Glastonbury ’92 or ‘94?

4 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Great shout! Alas the Brixton live version ain’t on Spotify for the playlist. The original OK? Or alternatively Glastonbury ’92 or ‘94?

Brixton 2016 isn't, but there should be Levelling the Land Live 2011 on there (it's on Deezer at least) that uses the same intro 

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Brixton 2016 isn't, but there should be Levelling the Land Live 2011 on there (it's on Deezer at least) that uses the same intro 

Ah hah, got it - Spotify’s shitty search strikes again, wasn’t listing that track as live but found the album. 🙂 

12 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I completely admire the decisiveness in this answer. I on the other hand would say they are one of my favourite bands and I'd probably struggle to pick a top 5 favourite songs by them let alone a favourite song of all time. 

Fall On Me would probably make my top 5 though along with Leave and Country Feedback the rest would be a bunfight but this is why I can't pick a single favourite song. 😄 

Leave is a cracking tune alright (the whole of New Adventures in HiFi is great mind you!…so fast, so numb probably my fave on that one). The version of Leave in A Life Less Ordinary was brilliant too (maybe what it would have sounded like if they’d recorded it for Up). Swan Swan H has flirted with being my favourite R.E.M song from time to time, just too many to pick from, but Country Feedback is the only one that really makes me waver about Fall on Me…I’d better stop talking about R.E.M now! 😁

this is actually a very easy one for me to answer:

The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out

from the first time i heard it i just thought it was the most beautiful thing i'd ever heard, and all these years later nothing has beaten it.

there are a thousand songs i love, and on any day something may be my favourite at that moment - but that is my "one single favourite song".

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fred Zepplin said:

My favourite song is something I could never pick, as many people have already said it changes everyday. My funeral song is this though

I know there's not much love for Mumford on here but just finished Ted Lasso and there's a version of this on there which I really liked.