Do you have one single favourite song?

jimmillen

On 7/11/2021 at 12:38 AM, BlackZeppelin said:

Great call.

We had the funeral song discussion the other day, and this song came up. Beth Hirsch has amazing fragile yet warm tones in her voice, and the lyrics are pure poetry.

Totally agree with this although hadn’t thought about it as a funeral song 🤔.  
Beth Hirsch is on the gig to do list but I don’t remember her touring much pre pandemic 

20 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I chose a funeral song many years ago, and haven't been able to change it since. That's because I think it really is the one. I have got almost no comprehension of what words are being sung, let alone what they portray. Also the fact that the bands name is 'This Mortal Coil' is a complete coincidence. This is it;

Could be worse - I know a lady who wants this played at her funeral;

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Edit: and now that I've said that, it could be Country Feedback...don't make me choose!

Country Feedback is an "unskippable" song for me. That appears in my 'hypothetical top 5 (because it's technically more than 5 songs but it's an expression that means I love the song a lot)' list for sure.

35 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Country Feedback is an "unskippable" song for me. That appears in my 'hypothetical top 5 (because it's technically more than 5 songs but it's an expression that means I love the song a lot)' list for sure.

It’s Michael’s favourite song too I believe! (Stipe that is, not the main man round these parts!). I’ve previously spent hours just watching the various live versions of it, on a maddening loop, if you will 😁 (the version on perfect square or the Jools Holland version with BJ Cole on pedal steel still the standouts)…marvellous stuff.

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm not certain but I think those very high playing figures might be down to me.

What do you think of the version below?

I do like the Calum Scott version, I always thought the song lends itself very well to being song from a male perspective. Though you can't beat the punch that the original has, especially when it gets to that end section.

• Upvote 1

Tough question! Right now I am saying Counting Backwards by Throwing Muses. I love that song and it brings back so many happy memories. But tomorrow I might choose something by Beastie Boys, The Doors, Beatles or Portishead. Not easy to choose!

• Like 1

I keep going to write something in this thread and then changing my mind. Right now for top song I'm going for River by Joni Mitchell, it will never not move me.

As for funeral music, I have for a long time thought Mogwai's I Know You Are But What Am I? is hauntingly beautiful.

2 hours ago, sime said:

Tough question! Right now I am saying Counting Backwards by Throwing Muses. I love that song and it brings back so many happy memories. But tomorrow I might choose something by Beastie Boys, The Doors, Beatles or Portishead. Not easy to choose!

Oooh, Counting Backwards is a crackin' tune. Haven't listened to it in years. Gonna bang it on one of my playlists right now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oooh, Counting Backwards is a crackin' tune. Haven't listened to it in years. Gonna bang it on one of my playlists right now!

You are a Toilet Duck of excellent taste!

11 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Just curious which would make the top spot for you?

Mine would be Given to Fly. Second place would be Sirens, which is one of those songs that always causes a bit of dust in my eye.

Shit that's hard...... 

Indifference 

In my tree.... 

Seven o'clock in the morning 

Sad 

If you would asked me tomorrow it would be different old son lol

On 7/13/2021 at 7:40 AM, March Hare said:

Beth Hirsch is on the gig to do list but I don’t remember her touring much pre pandemic 

Thought about for when they do the photo montage half way through the funeral.

Perfect combination of warmth and wistful. 

Probably thought too much about it to be honest.

We sent our Mum off to Whiter Shade of Pale and Ride a White Swan....she had good taste my Mum

• Upvote 1

What a tough question. Favourite band is PIL, but couldn't choose a favourite. Tom Waits all brilliant. Let alone all the metal and punk I love. Dead Kennedys again, too many. So, in the end went for one that hit hard from the minute I first heard it. Acoustic version. Just brilliant.

• Upvote 1