Do you have one single favourite song?

jimmillen

7 hours ago, blutarsky said:

If we are talking latest ear worm then no-one wants mine - having a baby means you listen to a lot of shit music. Currently have The Farmer In The Dell on loop in my head ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

and just to ensure that everyone can share that earworm...

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Probably this

Favourite Radiohead song is hard enough.

I'm a million different people from one day to the next when it comes to favourite music.

And that's why The Verve always win Best Lyric competition for me when it comes to these types of questions.

14 hours ago, March Hare said:

Such a tough one, I’ll go with Air - All I Need. I think it’s got it all combining Beth Hirsch unbelievable voice and Air’s electro pop. That album (Moon Safari) was seminal for me coming at a point where I was figuring out there was more to music than what was played on long wave Atlantic 252.  Plus it’s such a versatile song, I’ve got it on party playlists as well as my now infamous playlist “boner jamz”.

Great call.

We had the funeral song discussion the other day, and this song came up. Beth Hirsch has amazing fragile yet warm tones in her voice, and the lyrics are pure poetry.

7 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

You might be a legend, but you're wrong - fact!! 

Ha, I was poking the bear. I love both versions tbh. Such a different vibe from each. Moody to near euphoria, which is dead interesting in my opinion. I probably lean towards the Rod version as my stepdad is a superfan, but if I was told that I could only have Tom's version for ever, I wouldn't be sad. 

Now, legend... To quote a well known ping pong player turned shrimp boat captain:

"Well I don't know about that" 🤣

7 hours ago, bamber said:

I think I do.

The 2nd album version of this, and this at West Holts 2015 performance provide evocative evidence,

It is my one single favourite song.

Always liked this song but until you see it in isolation didnt realise how much.. Great shout @bamber

I love Hot Chip and in 10 years of visiting the farm this performance is right up there for top spot...

I know they will never be first choice to be last on Big Pointy.... but if we get another Dave Grohls leg/John Squires collarbone/Bonos back situation, they really should be the first number that Emily calls

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Has to be the live version though. One of my live highlights of all time at Scarborough a few years back.

I totally agree about it having to be a live version. It may come as some or no surprise to know that I haven't actually seen another live version. I was (I'm fairly sure) standing in front of their performance on the Pyramid stage one year, and still didn't hear them. I was hardly a muso in those days and haven't 'developed' very far since. Mind you, that's not entirely true, as I'm on the right road now in terms of listening to their live music. And I have your mention of it to thank you for, as I'm so gormless it never even occurred to me to look at footage of them playing that song at another venue.

If I am right then the venue that I posted was in Sheffield. An 'arena' springs to mind./

Anyway, I only (up to now) watch that video and this one;

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Hard to say, but I imagine if there was a way to find out my most played song since it's release it may be this one...

Try www.last.fm

No surprises but my my most listened to tracks of all time are two that we put on to get mini-Blutarsky to sleep, 1776 and 1742 plays. 

Outside those two my most played tracks since 2005 are by Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, Bakermat Four Tet and PIXIES. I wasn't using the scrobbler all that time mind - not at all from 2012-1018.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Thank you for putting this together. Have been enjoying it immensely today while WFH. Obviously, the quality is pretty high.

You’re very welcome - glad you’re enjoying it! 🙂 Thanks to everyone who suggested songs. 

I’ve not actually had a chance to listen through myself yet, busy day of Teams calls  😣 - looking forward to a bit more music time tomorrow hopefully. 

53 minutes ago, ivan said:

Suppers Ready 

Quite a few different versions of that one!

I’ve added the 2009 remaster to the playlist, but shout if you prefer another version or a live recording - hopefully Spotify will have it… 🙂

Well...R.E.M are my favourite band. Lifes Rich Pageant is my favourite R.E.M album, and Fall on Me is my favourite song on the album...so I guess it might be my favourite song full stop. I've never skipped over it when I've heard it, it always makes me sing, it's made it onto umpteen playlists and mixtapes over the years and, case in point, when I went to YouTube for the clip, I listened to it twice before I posted!

Edit: and now that I've said that, it could be Country Feedback...don't make me choose!

Edited by Toilet Duck
typo!

On 7/9/2021 at 9:27 PM, Andre91 said:

I made a playlist last week of the 20 songs I would choose if I could only listen to 20 songs for the rest of my life and Atmosphere is one of them. 

Must admit, I'm partial to a bit of Russ Abbott too.

• Upvote 1