Do you have one single favourite song?

jimmillen

6 hours ago, oneeye said:

Just an absolute tune 

Agreed. 

For me, it changes. This could have been up there - I had it as my ringtone for a bit. 

A Life Less Ordinary by Ash and A Working Class Hero have been there, but currently for the last year or so it's been Purple Rain. Not even a huge Prince fan, but it's just sheer perfection in terms of songs...

It's hard to nail just one down, as others have said it could change by the day/mood, but I reckon most of the times I've been asked, I go for this. It just brings me back to my first days of college, smoking a cigarette in the sun before my first lesson, something I could have never done in school of course. I guess this song just always remind me of that first taste of youthful freedom, which tasted like a Richmond Superking...

Oh, and it reminds of Teachers. Hugely underrated show.

Edited by Hutchmaster
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

It's hard to nail just one down, as others have said it could change by the day/mood, but I reckon most of the times I've been asked, I go for this. It just brings me back to my first days of college, smoking a cigarette in the sun before my first lesson, something I could have never done in school of course. I guess this song just always remind me of that first taste of youthful freedom, which tasted like a Richmond Superking...

Oh, and it reminds of Teachers. Hugely underrated show.

Top choice. Music doesn't get much better than this!

13 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I presume you were looking for a better answer that "give me a fortnight and i will come back to you with a top 100 categorised by genre, mood, era and live experience..."

Your answer should probably have been "what, right now..!?" and then give her the latest earworm thats been bouncing about your brain.

Not a bad tune for a 7 year old btw...

You should get a book and note down the date and the song and ask the same question every month. It will be a marvellous thing to share when you are buying her her first (legal) Glastonbury beer in 11 years time.

If we are talking latest ear worm then no-one wants mine - having a baby means you listen to a lot of shit music. Currently have The Farmer In The Dell on loop in my head ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This never fails to transport me back to the age of 16, going berserk in the Cavern and spending the weekends at anti-capitalist rallies, reading books about the black bloc rioting at G8 meetings and shoplifting things I didn’t want from M&S to stick it to the man 😂 

And it’s an absolute banger I can’t help but dance to. It’s got to be right up there. 

Whenever anyone asks me that question, I always say something along the lines of this "Whenever someone asks me that, about 5 different contenders pop into my head. But the one song that is always in those 5, is Enola Gay by OMD".

So I guess that would have to be my answer here. But that won't be playing at my funeral.

The only other song that has a claim to being my all time favourite, and absolutely will be played when I'm becoming ashes is this:

Such a tough one, I’ll go with Air - All I Need. I think it’s got it all combining Beth Hirsch unbelievable voice and Air’s electro pop. That album (Moon Safari) was seminal for me coming at a point where I was figuring out there was more to music than what was played on long wave Atlantic 252.  Plus it’s such a versatile song, I’ve got it on party playlists as well as my now infamous playlist “boner jamz”.

• Upvote 1

I've been pondering this since yesterday. Still impossible to pinpoint but it's those songs that lift your heart the second you hear the opening chords, ones that take you back to a moment in time like the food critic in Ratatouille, ones you know you will never tire of.

The problem is, there are so bloody many of them. But today I'm torn between two. 

This...

And this...

19 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

It will always be this for me, for me (personally) the most important song of the last 50 years. Started being obsessed listening to it on a tape recorder in 1977ish, have been playing it ever since, still play it loads 40 years later. Still sounds fresh and brilliant now in my opinion, these boys moved electronic music to the masses and inspired so many electronic artists from the 80s to now Superb song, absolute legends, 20 minutes of bliss

.. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd comes second

Just a great great track always the full album version just perfect to listen to alone . Like you been with me since I first discovered kraftwerk late 70s 

27 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

There are a few critically acclaimed and/or obscure gems I could nominate for this, but the honest answer is Bohemian Rhapsody. And I’m not otherwise much of a Queen fan at all.

“The Show Must Go On” just came on the radio and it never fails to affect me knowing that Mercury was literally at the point of death when he recorded it. Yet still belted out such a vocal.

Edited by Hugh Jass

20 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

I was at a friend's funeral about 15 years ago and as we were carrying the coffin down the aisle I realised they had Celine fucking Dion belting out. Sad state of affairs when all you can think of during a mates funeral is what a shit choice of music. Been pretty obsessed with the music choice at my funeral since though I've probably told 20 friends 20 different songs over the years so not sure which will win. Won't be an issue for me by then anyway I suppose.

I've heard a few remember a friends funeral another celion song and thinking same as you I assume his wife picked it .

I vary my funeral songs but haven't said anything to family yet but do have it written down for them .

One song for my mates and family one for my kids and one for my wife all have meaning for me and all say something to them .

These aren't necessarily my fave songs but they are all very high up in my top songs