Do you have one single favourite song?

jimmillen

My 7 year old* asked me what my favourite song was this afternoon and I was totally stumped 😂

Favourite song to suit a particular mood? Maybe. 

Favourite song of a genre? Perhaps. 

But favourite song overall? Just can’t do it! Even coming up with a top 20 would be bloody challenging. 

Given the forum is the biggest collection of music geeks I know just curious what y’all think - could you name a single track that is your absolute favourite?

(*Hers is dance monkey FFS 🙄 to be fair though she likes most stuff I play her, and she’s only 7 - plenty of time yet!)

Wouldn’t even know where to begin answering that question. Could give you ten now and a completely different ten in five minutes…

However I do know that the three songs I’d like played at my funeral are Wake Up by Arcade Fire, Pink Rabbits by The National and The Univeral by Blur, so they must be pretty near the top.

I always figure with shit like this it's such a common question just have an answer ready then you can discuss and bring more up or move on. I always say reservoir dogs is my favourite film for instance.

I went for Boys Are Back In Town here though coz it's the best song that exists which makes my life a lot easier.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I can tell you my favourite album without hesitation but I couldn't name a favourite song.

I'm not even sure it would be one from that album.

Not sure I could do album either… there’s a few I always return to (Funeral, Good Kid Maad City, Ziggy Stardust, Different Class, In Rainbows….)

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn’t even know where to begin answering that question. Could give you ten now and a completely different ten in five minutes…

However I do know that the three songs I’d like played at my funeral are Wake Up by Arcade Fire, Pink Rabbits by The National and The Univeral by Blur, so they must be pretty near the top.

I was at a friend's funeral about 15 years ago and as we were carrying the coffin down the aisle I realised they had Celine fucking Dion belting out. Sad state of affairs when all you can think of during a mates funeral is what a shit choice of music. Been pretty obsessed with the music choice at my funeral since though I've probably told 20 friends 20 different songs over the years so not sure which will win. Won't be an issue for me by then anyway I suppose.

It will always be this for me, for me (personally) the most important song of the last 50 years. Started being obsessed listening to it on a tape recorder in 1977ish, have been playing it ever since, still play it loads 40 years later. Still sounds fresh and brilliant now in my opinion, these boys moved electronic music to the masses and inspired so many electronic artists from the 80s to now Superb song, absolute legends, 20 minutes of bliss

.. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd comes second

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I was at a friend's funeral about 15 years ago and as we were carrying the coffin down the aisle I realised they had Celine fucking Dion belting out. Sad state of affairs when all you can think of during a mates funeral is what a shit choice of music. Been pretty obsessed with the music choice at my funeral since though I've probably told 20 friends 20 different songs over the years so not sure which will win. Won't be an issue for me by then anyway I suppose.

Think I will end up with one of the songs being the cliché Return to Sender when I go to be burnt to a crisp

Always been asked that question and almost impossible to answer as over the decades so many songs have entered my life.  One song however has been with me since the 70s and I’ve never tired of it. Don’t know why, not regarded as a classic, maybe it evokes memories, who knows.

It’s a strange choice but I go for Come up and see me, make me smile, Cockney Rebel 😁

26 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Think I will end up with one of the songs being the cliché Return to Sender when I go to be burnt to a crisp

I'm going for Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire for my cremation.

Favourite song very much depends on mood.

• Like 1

If I had to choose, it would probably be “Pump Up The Volume” by MARRS. 

I was ten years old when this came out in 1987. Until that point my entire musical journey had been Christian music in the church I’d been indoctrinated into. But for my tenth birthday, my parents caved and allowed me to experience the wider world of secular music.

I hold many songs dear that are widely considered cheesy, owing to the context of that point in my life, but this tune manages to be both nostalgic and genuinely brilliant. I didn’t even know what sampling or scratching was back then, I just knew I loved what I was hearing and I still do. 

Edited by kalifire