2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Big Thief are releasing a double album early next year: https://www.stereogum.com/2162958/big-thief-double-lp-2022-interview/news/

And I know I've mentioned the connections between Wet Leg and the festival a few times, but a significant new detail has emerged:

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-radar/wet-leg-chaise-longue-interview-2021-3055835 (assume they mean 2018, as that was the Idles year and there's YouTube footage of them live in mid-2019)

I should think, and am really hoping, that Wet Leg are nailed on for next year. Not only this connection but they fit the profile in every way - up and coming, growing public attention, played a small tent at Green Man and might be given a break of playing something bigger, no album to plug yet but might have by next summer.

6 hours ago, paulwa said:

I should think, and am really hoping, that Wet Leg are nailed on for next year. Not only this connection but they fit the profile in every way - up and coming, growing public attention, played a small tent at Green Man and might be given a break of playing something bigger, no album to plug yet but might have by next summer.

That video isn't from their gig at Green Man. They played the Far Out which is the second biggest stage. This was on the Thursday which in effect means it's the main stage that day.

Their crowd was huge. So big that during the last song, which was Chaise Longue, they could barely hold it together and kept laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of the number of people watching.

Some bands I've seen recently who will all be in with a shout of playing;

Pom Poko (put them in the Big Top this time, they will smash it)

Leggs (supported Pom Poko, ended up in the mosh pit with everyone)

Folly Group (nailed on for a load of festivals next year)

Keg (just ridiculously fun live)

Gentle Strangers (feature one of the members of caroline and more different instruments than you can count, including a toy saxophone)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, paulwa said:

16 hours ago, benali said:

That video isn't from their gig at Green Man. They played the Far Out which is the second biggest stage. This was on the Thursday which in effect means it's the main stage that day.

Their crowd was huge. So big that during the last song, which was Chaise Longue, they could barely hold it together and kept laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of the number of people watching.

That video is from their mini set in the Green Man Records tent. Their set in Far Out was a load of fun.

4 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

That video is from their mini set in the Green Man Records tent. Their set in Far Out was a load of fun.

Kind of meant that it wasn't the proper gig. Is it even from the record shop? Looks to me like a session track filmed in the tipi?

Wet Leg played a set only a track or two shorter than usual in the GM Records tent (most bands only play 2-4 tracks). They were very early on Thursday on Far Out and a lot of people missed them (including myself), so I think they tried to play as long as they could. I'm down the front in that video. No way I could miss them given how incredible they were when I'd caught them the previous month. So much fun live! 

I really thought they'd pop up at EotR this year late night after the London leg of the tour (they were supporting someone, hence not booked). Perhaps without covid protocols they might've! 

(as a side note to a point above, Idles was 2018 but was Big Top not Woods) 

1 hour ago, JHad said:

Wet Leg played a set only a track or two shorter than usual in the GM Records tent (most bands only play 2-4 tracks). They were very early on Thursday on Far Out and a lot of people missed them (including myself), so I think they tried to play as long as they could. I'm down the front in that video. No way I could miss them given how incredible they were when I'd caught them the previous month. So much fun live! 

I really thought they'd pop up at EotR this year late night after the London leg of the tour (they were supporting someone, hence not booked). Perhaps without covid protocols they might've! 

(as a side note to a point above, Idles was 2018 but was Big Top not Woods) 

Building on the Idles comment... a potential Woods stage headliner for 2022?

• Upvote 1

Did anybody else notice Simon Taffe's Instagram post this morning. It was just this picture with no comment. Looks like Nick Cave to me. Now, Simon might simply be listening to a Nick Cave album and want to show appreciation, or should I be getting excited?

Addendum: I just discovered that he's presently on tour in the UK, so it looks like Simon must have been to see him. One can but hope though!

PNG image.png

Edited by paulwa

1 hour ago, paulwa said:

Did anybody else notice Simon Taffe's Instagram post this morning. It was just this picture with no comment. Looks like Nick Cave to me. Now, Simon might simply be listening to a Nick Cave album and want to show appreciation, or should I be getting excited?

Addendum: I just discovered that he's presently on tour in the UK, so it looks like Simon must have been to see him. One can but hope though!

PNG image.png

I messaged him in Insta to say ‘next year?’

no answer as yet or ever of course 

21 hours ago, shoebox said:

Nick Cave will be #1 (or at least thereabouts) on their wishlist but I can't imagine it will ever happen, sadly. It's a dream booking but too far out of EOTR's reach, imo

Really? I can’t see this as being out of reach at all. Seems like a perfectly reasonable booking for EOTR.

2 hours ago, Riverneck said:

Really? I can’t see this as being out of reach at all. Seems like a perfectly reasonable booking for EOTR.

I'm just looking at the level of shows he's playing these days and what he charges the punters for those shows. Just seems like a financially unviable option. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, and I've got no clue as to the financial reach of EOTR. But it feels unlikely to me, regardless of how much they'll want him.

• Upvote 1

After Damon Albarn this year, who knows? Maybe Nick could be tempted.I doubt it, but I'd not consider it impossible. '22, seems unlikely though. The headliners are already sorted, or close to signing, I'd guess. Definitely 2/3 of them, anyway (Pixies and Big Thief).

49 minutes ago, Mardy said:

After Damon Albarn this year, who knows? Maybe Nick could be tempted.I doubt it, but I'd not consider it impossible. '22, seems unlikely though. The headliners are already sorted, or close to signing, I'd guess. Definitely 2/3 of them, anyway (Pixies and Big Thief).

Wouldn't it be great though if "the special guest" slot became a thing. The sunset slot. Kinda like the way the Glasto Legends spot is bigger than most of the headliners. 

16 hours ago, benali said:

I reckon Nick Cave will be at Green Man for their 20th anniversary festival.

Does he have any existing connection with the place?

Can’t see him playing either any time soon, to be honest. I’m sure they’ve both approached and been knocked back in the past. Nick’s bigger than ever now so I don’t see him taking it yet.