2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

I just think they're boring now is all.

that they’re constantly on tour now so doesn’t feel special to see them

Fair enough, I can understand that. Seen them before but not had the opportunity to see them live since the reform. I am in the age bracket. There are memories tied up. So I'm ticking the boxes. Maybe I'll find it boring too, but it's going to have to be someone pretty special on in the garden to pull me away.

20 hours ago, The Nal said:

Again, not really that arsed about the main stage headliners. Think Ive seen 2 total in 3 festivals. There'll always be good stuff on elsewhere and during the day. And the usual 3 or 4 acts that are to me, bewilderingly popular with others. Always a fair bit of marmite at EOTR. 

His is so true. 

Once you reach a point where people expect it to sell out quickly then that in itself produces the effect - already seems to have happened with Green Man. Once you get close to that tipping point it may be that only a relatively small extra bit of demand makes all the difference between selling out in a week or two and not selling out until next summer.

Which will be great for them, of course, if we do get to that point, though I hope it never gets anything like Glastonbury where demand already outstrips supply on the first morning.

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

Parquet Courts coming over earlier in the summer, so unlikely to be over again in September. I suppose they played in 2019, so would've been a bit of a boring booking (even though they're great!)

I nearly posted the opposite, in that those who come over at the start of summer are more likely to return at its end, but also they were announced for Green Man 2020 so it seems less likely they'd be there.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Once you reach a point where people expect it to sell out quickly then that in itself produces the effect - already seems to have happened with Green Man. Once you get close to that tipping point it may be that only a relatively small extra bit of demand makes all the difference between selling out in a week or two and not selling out until next summer.

Which will be great for them, of course, if we do get to that point, though I hope it never gets anything like Glastonbury where demand already outstrips supply on the first morning.

I think at the moment it's a network effect of suppressed demand and not a future road map. The wider group of the pals I went with thought we were mad for even holding tickets. Now they're all dead jealous and desperate to go to fests next year. Suspect that's a common story. Green Man and EOTR both went off without a hitch, so you've got people who didn't go ready to strike for next year

• Upvote 1

Just back from watching Bingo Fury. Spoke to the band and they said they had to pull out because of covid, the singer had it and his isolation finished 1 day after they were meant to play.

Pity because they were excellent tonight and would have gone down really well. Fingers crossed they get rebooked for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Thief are releasing a double album early next year: https://www.stereogum.com/2162958/big-thief-double-lp-2022-interview/news/

And I know I've mentioned the connections between Wet Leg and the festival a few times, but a significant new detail has emerged:

It all started with a pact. Following almost a decade of friendship (Teasdale and Chambers met at college, and played in various bands and as fledgling solo musicians on their native Isle Of Wight), the pair took a spontaneous, mildly drunk ferris wheel trip at 2019’s End Of The Road festival. It is here where they found the embryonic elements of Wet Leg after seeing IDLES storm the main stage that evening – and they decided to start something of their own, on the basis that they “wanted to have more fun than every other single band”.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-radar/wet-leg-chaise-longue-interview-2021-3055835 (assume they mean 2018, as that was the Idles year and there's YouTube footage of them live in mid-2019)