2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

Not understanding the Pixies complaints tbh. There is room for a big* name headliner in 4 days of the woods stage

Nostalgia? trading on past glories? not necessarily a bad thing, all bands do this, plus see Stereolab, Spiritualized etc

Not-the-pixies-without-kim? well, there is still time, tell her eotr is bored and I'm sure she'll be knocking black's door down

*ask your average person if they have heard of the Pixies before - yeah you know the song at the end of fight club? nah sorry don't remember mate

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

Bit worried that this will sell out before payday. It's bad enough that early birds sell out before I finished travelling home from this years fest but all tickets to go before the first payday would be a bit mean. I guess that's the downside of going to a festival full of rich southerners. 

I thought everybody on the Isle of Man was a rich tax exile??

(from not rich northerner)

28 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I thought everybody on the Isle of Man was a rich tax exile??

(from not rich northerner)

Yeah that’s the perception. 

The main tax benefits are competitive business rates and a tax cap on HNWI  

Income tax is a bit lower. Indirect taxes higher. Also there’s a push to “user pays for services”. Effectively this impacts the poorer earners most. 

Housing costs are high and not helped by off-island but-to-let investors. Coupled with higher utilities bills from monopoly suppliers and the additional costs for transporting goods here mean only the wealthiest benefit directly from the tax position. The living wage here is about the same as the London one for example. 

Festival going costs more for me because I need to get to London before I can get the coach. And this year flights from the Island were reduced meaning hotel stays either side. So it’s a little difficult to pay for this year and next out of the same pay packet  

1 hour ago, Llamasausage said:

Not understanding the Pixies complaints tbh. There is room for a big* name headliner in 4 days of the woods stage

Nostalgia? trading on past glories? not necessarily a bad thing, all bands do this, plus see Stereolab, Spiritualized etc

Not-the-pixies-without-kim? well, there is still time, tell her eotr is bored and I'm sure she'll be knocking black's door down

*ask your average person if they have heard of the Pixies before - yeah you know the song at the end of fight club? nah sorry don't remember mate

I just think they're boring now is all. I like them on record but have little to zero interest seeing them live now, from videos I've seen they're bordering on cover band. I feel like your comparisons to Stererolab and Spiritualized aren't really fair. Especially Spiritualized who have actually released a good album in the last few years, unlike Pixies.

Edited by scatteredscreens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Yeah that’s the perception. 

The main tax benefits are competitive business rates and a tax cap on HNWI  

Income tax is a bit lower. Indirect taxes higher. Also there’s a push to “user pays for services”. Effectively this impacts the poorer earners most. 

Housing costs are high and not helped by off-island but-to-let investors. Coupled with higher utilities bills from monopoly suppliers and the additional costs for transporting goods here mean only the wealthiest benefit directly from the tax position. The living wage here is about the same as the London one for example. 

Festival going costs more for me because I need to get to London before I can get the coach. And this year flights from the Island were reduced meaning hotel stays either side. So it’s a little difficult to pay for this year and next out of the same pay packet  

My comment was meant tongue in cheek, I hope that you didn't take me seriously.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Again, not really that arsed about the main stage headliners. Think Ive seen 2 total in 3 festivals. There'll always be good stuff on elsewhere and during the day. And the usual 3 or 4 acts that are to me, bewilderingly popular with others. Always a fair bit of marmite at EOTR. 

The marmite melt crumpets are particularly good. 

While it's very possible that they're the only announced US headliner from 2020/21 who are definites right now, I wonder why Pixies have been confirmed today with no warning. I can't imagine they're having trouble shifting tickets given how fast the early birds and next two tiers went. Is it to keep up with Green Man's reconfirmation a week ago?

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I can't imagine they're having trouble shifting tickets given how fast the early birds and next two tiers went. Is it to keep up with Green Man's reconfirmation a week ago?

The VAT change at the end of the month will mean that either the ticket cost has to go up or the festival gets to keep less of it. Might just be an attempt to push a few extra sales before that happens.