2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

3 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Angel Olsen and Sharon Van Etten teasing new stuff together. Sharon did GM last time and Angel was due to headline so I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of them.

I loved Sharon's shows in 2019... then again I didn't see her circa 2014.

They released a single four months ago. 

I really want Angel to reconfirm for next year.

• Like 1

The talk of next year's tickets already being on the final tier has prompted me to put deposits down on them today.  I know in practice the "final tier" will be the biggest in terms of numbers and there are probably plenty available, but better safe than sorry etc.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

So is it realistic to think this lot will make up 12 of the top 13/14/15 on the poster?

Pixies, Angel Olsen, Big Thief, Bright Eyes, Richard Hawley, Perfume Genius, Aldous Harding, Whitney, Tune-Yards, Songhoy Blues, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Pinegrove

I'd watch and enjoy some of those bands, but as whole that feels like it could have been 2017 or 2018's line-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I'd watch and enjoy some of those bands, but as whole that feels like it could have been 2017 or 2018's line-up.

Or 2020’s? 😛

Perhaps. But that’s why I don’t think it would be the top 12. They would need to inject something new into it - maybe a British/Irish post-punk band, a rapper and some other fresh addition whose dates line up.

Some of the 2020 / original 2021 line up may have changed their plans (or maybe are being held over to 2023).  For Big Thief it would mean a third European trip in 6-7 months - their own tour in February/early March, and Primavera Sound in early June (and whatever else they do around that).  Not impossible of course, and EOTR will be keen to have them, but it doesn't look certain.  Aldous Harding has her own tour in March/April too.  Rolling Blackouts have their tour in May/June.

Pixies and Bright Eyes seem certainties.

In terms of other names Agnes Obel has a tour starting 2 September (though it starts in Edinburgh).

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Or 2020’s? 😛

Perhaps. But that’s why I don’t think it would be the top 12. They would need to inject something new into it - maybe a British/Irish post-punk band, a rapper and some other fresh addition whose dates line up.

Get The Murder Capital back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Or 2020’s? 😛

I also don't think they'd announce four overseas headliners, and not just because the travel/touring situation might be different again come next summer. As you say the success of Simz and the increasing amount of rap/soul/pop-adjacent acts this year is going to have to be built on, but I'm not sure I see a EOTR-appropriate headliner in that sphere right now - we caught Simz (and Parks) at the ideal moment and both could have headlined but, apart from neither having more than an hour long set, weren't booked to do so because it was before we knew how big either would be.

The broader issue is it's now more difficult to predict people's plans. Big Thief I can see having an album out early next year and they seem committed to returning but actually having the calendar work out for them is different. Olsen could have an LP out in the next twelve months (or be doing something full length with SVE) or might not be ready at all. Even if they don't come over before, would Perfume Genius or RCBF still want to tour a two year old album? At least there's the option of a career spanning set from Bright Eyes now there isn't a direct comeback to promote.

I'm happy for purely selfish reasons because the Pixies were the standout new band at my first festival (Glastonbury 1989). Given that my adolescence was spent on an Island where the only NME or John Peel Band that ever played here were Anhrefn - who didn't even sing in our language, festivals (esp Reading tbh) were great because suddenly we could see all the bands in a short period of time. So it would have been great if EOTR 2021 had begun with them headlining the Thursday - my first off Island gig since EOTR 2019. 

I won't get that continuity and renewal from them playing 2022, and I wouldn't want too many legacy but not novel acts, but they've been enjoyable when I've seen them in the last decade and I'll watch them again. 

Bit worried that this will sell out before payday. It's bad enough that early birds sell out before I finished travelling home from this years fest but all tickets to go before the first payday would be a bit mean. I guess that's the downside of going to a festival full of rich southerners.