2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

On 2/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

I haven't scientifically checked this but it does feel Green Man tends to have great headliners in the years EOTR's are a bit disappointing and vice versa. 

It's all subjective though isn't it? I'd rather see Bright Eyes, Fleet Foxes & Pixies than any of the GM headliners - apart from maybe Kraftwerk.

One person's duff headliner is another person's dream headliner!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

Saw Deathcrash last night and enjoyed them. Would probably give it 7/10. Hope they get a day time slot in the Big Top or something like that

I was there too, really enjoyed it.  They would need to be in the Big Top really, they would struggle to make an impact in bright sunshine!

38 minutes ago, WFD said:

I was there too, really enjoyed it.  They would need to be in the Big Top really, they would struggle to make an impact in bright sunshine!

Haha - between us we must have made up 10% of the audience!

They haven't made it onto my current 'must see' list tbh, but would go and see them again if they weren't clashing with anyone else I really wanted to see

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

Haha - between us we must have made up 10% of the audience!

They haven't made it onto my current 'must see' list tbh, but would go and see them again if they weren't clashing with anyone else I really wanted to see

Yeah, don't know if you were in for the support but there were even fewer in then!  Maybe would have been better suited to the Head of Steam.  Still, it didn't affect their performance and I bought a t-shirt to do my bit.  I'll watch them again at EOTR unless there is a big clash. 

(I was stood next to the bar, probably the only person wearing a mask, I'm treading carefully because I need to test negative next week). 

I’m delighted that EOTR is confidently booking international acts. There’s a world of great music outside the UK and the UK had its turn last year.

Summer festivals have a healthy number of foreign acts, which is indicative that they feel confident to tour based on easing restrictions.

Harding is citing problems touring in March and April, not September.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m delighted that EOTR is confidently booking international acts. There’s a world of great music outside the UK and the UK had its turn last year.

Summer festivals have a healthy number of foreign acts, which is indicative that they feel confident to tour based on easing restrictions.

EOTR announced three international headliners last year plus a whole host of others and I doubt they were alone in that. If the belief is some significant European countries are still enacting indoor restrictions through April they're much less likely to blithely give the go-ahead to gatherings of thousands in the weeks and months after that, which means the potential for acts planning to come over for a festival summer cancelling as it's not worth it for them to just play a couple in the UK is greatly increased, and that's without what happened last year to some major events like Pukkelpop being cancelled at very short notice due to changes in local/national restrictions.

42 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

EOTR announced three international headliners last year plus a whole host of others and I doubt they were alone in that. If the belief is some significant European countries are still enacting indoor restrictions through April they're much less likely to blithely give the go-ahead to gatherings of thousands in the weeks and months after that, which means the potential for acts planning to come over for a festival summer cancelling as it's not worth it for them to just play a couple in the UK is greatly increased, and that's without what happened last year to some major events like Pukkelpop being cancelled at very short notice due to changes in local/national restrictions.

Are we really seeing this year and last year as comparable?

We are in a radically different phase of the pandemic.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Not EOTR related but Torres has just moved her March UK/EU tour to August, timed around her Green Man appearance.  There's obviously quite a bit of this going on now and if anything hopefully it points towards more certainty that these acts will travel in the summer because the combinations of their own shows and festival slots are going to make it more worthwhile. 

On another note I'm surprised that Big Thief are seemingly still going ahead next week (I got an email yesterday that looked like it was going to be a cancellation but it was a "please wear a mask").

15 minutes ago, WFD said:

On another note I'm surprised that Big Thief are seemingly still going ahead next week (I got an email yesterday that looked like it was going to be a cancellation but it was a "please wear a mask").

They moved the mainland Europe dates back to around their June festivals about a month ago. https://pitchfork.com/news/big-thief-reschedule-european-tour-share-new-song-simulation-swarm-listen/

8 minutes ago, Fareham Grecian said:

They are comparable in the sense that things could change at very short notice. Despite the UK government and media messaging, the pandemic is very far from over

Ultimately bands need to earn and that involves travelling internationally. Some felt the risks were too high last year, they have a different view now.

And governments are showing a clear intention to allow international travel with minimal restrictions in contrast to in 2021.

This time last year nowhere near enough people had been vaccinated.

So, yes, I think the two situations are markedly different twelve months apart