2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

8 hours ago, robith said:

Any hints on the dancier stuff on the undercard? Romare and Auntie Flo were two of my highlights last year

Scalping are a live band who basically play techno. Grove has some beats you can dance to and will no doubt turn up on stage with Lynks for BBB.

With Anaïs Mitchell & Eric D. Johnson already announced, there must be a possibility of a Bonny Light Horseman set ?  I'm pretty sure I read something to suggest BLH could be at Green Man this year, so maybe waiting on that announcement first.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, paulwa said:

Fleet Foxes headlining the Garden Stage in 2009 blew me away. I wasn't expecting much but they were brilliant, especially the atmospheric harmonies in that special setting. I'm also led to believe that the fact that the crowd was rammed for their set persuaded Simon that he needed the Woods Stage from that point on.

Exactly this -  they were magical. My first EotR 

19 hours ago, paulwa said:

Fleet Foxes headlining the Garden Stage in 2009 blew me away. I wasn't expecting much but they were brilliant, especially the atmospheric harmonies in that special setting. I'm also led to believe that the fact that the crowd was rammed for their set persuaded Simon that he needed the Woods Stage from that point on.

I saw Fleet Foxes twice in 2009, first time at the rather small Stereo in Brighton (with Beach House opening) - and they were fantastic - and then at EOTR, and they pretty good there too. I admit I haven't seen them since, but they still have a lot of credit in the bank for me. As for Father John Misty, as a bloke I think he's a prick, and musically it's largely posturing to the easily pleased. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

As for Father John Misty, as a bloke I think he's a prick, and musically it's largely posturing to the easily pleased. 

100% this. He's nowhere near as smart or talented as he thinks he is. Got 'arsehole' stamped all the way through him like a stick of Margate rock.

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Too many earnest whispery vocal mid tempo acts on here for me. They all just seem kind of content with everything. Lets get some oompf in please.

This Fleet Foxes at al craic is depressingly bland. 

I’m with you. Thank god for all the quality in the subs.

And I love FJM - incredible voice, showman and way with a melody.

2 hours ago, paulwa said:

That Rosali album "No Medium" is really good. Nice to see some Americana/Country/Folk on at EOTR, which unfortunately seems to be diminishing over the years.

I went to see Molly Parden last night and was thinking afterwards how someone like her would have been a shoe in for older EOTR festivals. 

1 hour ago, Guy Incognito said:

Moor Mother gonna be the best set of the weekend. 

Low fi/dark rap/chill step/ blk girl blues/witch rap/coffee shop riot gurl songs/southern girl dittys/black ghost songs/

I'll have a look but not looking promising to me from that description.....(Having been burned by trying to stick with Anteloper on the Garden last year which was a trial in itself)

51 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Low fi/dark rap/chill step/ blk girl blues/witch rap/coffee shop riot gurl songs/southern girl dittys/black ghost songs/

I'll have a look but not looking promising to me from that description.....(Having been burned by trying to stick with Anteloper on the Garden last year which was a trial in itself)

Where the earth have you dug that out from? 

Moor Mother is probably one of the most consistently innovative, influential and well respected voices in the underground over the last decade. The from album last year is probably the most accessible. I'd start with that and then go Analog Fluids Of Sonic Black Holes. Her music is primarily spoken word experimental music with elements of rap, jazz and noise/industrial. 

Her album with Billy Woods was stunning too. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Where the earth have you dug that out from? 

https://moormother.bandcamp.com/

https://www.destinationsofnewyorkstate.com/things-to-do/ithaca-underground-presents-moor-mother-sammus-powerdove-robot-detective/

plus this one's a cracker:

https://eclipse.athensbiennale.org/en/artists/moor-mother

Edited by Copperface

Not sure where else to post this but the constant barrage of needy messages from Yard Act about buying or downloading their album to get it to Number 1 is annoyingly tedious and desperate.

Just because I bought your first single off Bandcamp because it made me laugh doesn't mean I want 5 emails a day pleading with me to buy an album I'll never listen to.

Anyway, I won't be watching them at EOTR. They are mildly amusing live but that's about it for me.

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is there something I'm missing with Fleet Foxes? They seem to be indie darlings but they're just so dull

They were better with one Father John Misty in them! But even at their peak, for all the good melodies, they still somehow bored me.

A bit late to the party, but personally I'm delighted with the line-up. It's the first time in as long as I can remember that EOTR has had three headliners (Pixies, Fleet Foxes, Khruangbin) that I want to see. Not a fan of Big Thief so can't say I'm too fussed about their absence. I'm particularly excited about Durand Jones & The Indications - 'What I Know About You' was one of my wedding songs, so they mean a lot to me. Definitely one of the greatest soul acts of the current generation.

Other acts I'm looking forward to: The Magnetic Fields (really pleasant surprise), Kurt Vile, Perfume Genius, Kevin Morby, Tinariwen, Greentea Peng, Sudan Archives, Hurray For the Riff Raff, Nala Sinephro, Moor Mother, Anais Mitchell, Ryley Walker, Emma-Jean Thackray, Steam Down, Purling Hiss, Los Bitchos, Les Filles de Illighadad, Scalping, Circuit des Yeux, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Fruit Bats, Xenia Rubinos, Ahmed Fakhroun, Mandy Indiana, Keg and Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan.

Can't say I agree with the comments about FJM being better than Fleet Foxes! His EOTR headline set was one of the most tedious and self-indulgent things I think I've ever seen.

Edited by ljsawyer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The strong psych ethos on line ups past that I really envied is disappointingly absent. I'm saddened to see so little of the UK jazz scene represented also.

Appears that fest organisers think we're cool with 60-70% ultraniche indie folk.

Edited by Wooderson