2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

My thoughts are that this line up is definitely a bit underwhelming at first glance. The top line is not particularly strong at all and bumping Bright Eyes up to Woods headliner is evidence that they struggled to get a couple headliners together. That being said, I rate Fleet Foxes quite highly. I think they're one of the better bands to come from the mid 00's indie/folk boom and they're very good live. I'm generally a fan of more experimental/out there music these days but I listened to Crack Up the other day for the first time in ages and still reckon its a great record. Robin Pecknold is a great songwriter and has an amazing voice. 

I think maybe we were spoiled with the planned 2020 line up of Angel Olsen, Pixies, Big Thief and King Krule. I think this year's set of four is comparably sized to 2019. 

Magnetic Fields and Perfume Genius (presumably both as Garden headliners) will be excellent. It's good to see black midi back and probably in a  more prominent slot with album 3 in tow. It seems like this year EOTR are more committed to not rebooking stuff from the last few years and are branching out a bit. There's a ton on the line up I havent heard before. 

The undercard is strong - Moor Mother, Deathcrash, Nala Sinephro, Sudan Archives, Anais Mitchell, Cassandra Jenkins, Steam Down, Circuit Des Yeux, Xenia Rubinos, Alabaser Deplume, Audiobooks, Modern Women, Cola and Bingo Fury are all acts that stick out on first look. 

It's a shame there's no L'Rain, Tirzah, Amen Dunes, Arooj Aftab and Jenny Hval but maybe some of them will be added later. There seems to be lots of smaller acts on the bill so maybe we might get some bigger acts added later like the last few years. They normally add some good stuff later down the line - 2018 (White Denim, Iceage), 2019 (Kelly Lee Owens, KOKOKO!, Wand, Gazelle Twin, Kelly Moran). The second announcement for the original 2020 line up was very strong with  Songhoy Blues, Makaya McCraven, Anna Meredith, Blanck Mass, Sorry, Keeley Forsyth, William Doyle, PVA, John, caroline among others. 

My son  has never forgiven Bight Eyes / Conor Oberst for slagging off John Peel when they were playing the John Peel tent at Glastonbury  😁

And who the f*** are Khruangbin???

[still already got tickets though and have always believed in any EoTR undercard]

Edited by airwaves
additions

15 minutes ago, paulwa said:

Fleet Foxes headlining the Garden Stage in 2009 blew me away. I wasn't expecting much but they were brilliant, especially the atmospheric harmonies in that special setting. I'm also led to believe that the fact that the crowd was rammed for their set persuaded Simon that he needed the Woods Stage from that point on.

That's been the best time seeing them for me. Previous to that and after beautiful just a bit dull. 

The garden stage makes all the difference I think 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

Just now, airwaves said:

My son  has never forgiven Bight Eyes / Conor Oberst for slagging off John Peel when they were playing the John Peel tent at Glastonbury

And who the f*** are Khruangbin???

You've not hear of them? They are pretty big. Texas Sun was everywhere when it was released.

They played an amazing set at Green Man a few years back.

I reckon we're still missing a Garden headliner and/or late night Big Top act. 

Edit - Although the press release doesn't say plus more to be announced like it usually does...

In which case I'm betting on Tinariwen, Perfume Genius and The Magnetic Fields for Garden headliners. 

Edit 2: oh hang on it does on the email and the poster. Fuck knows. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

12 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I reckon we're still missing a Garden headliner and/or late night Big Top act. 

Edit - Although the press release doesn't say plus more to be announced like it usually does...

The poster listing all the bands does end with 'MORE TBC'.

29 minutes ago, benali said:

Definitely feels like a lack of psych so far. Unless I'm missing something there's nothing like Ty Segall, Slift etc. Maybe Green Man will go more that route with their announcement.

Exactly the sort of stuff thats missing yeah. Hopefully we'll see some of it added later. 

1 hour ago, benali said:

Definitely feels like a lack of psych so far. Unless I'm missing something there's nothing like Ty Segall, Slift etc. Maybe Green Man will go more that route with their announcement.

Automation might be worth checking out. Mind and Motion is a pretty great psych track. They’re supporting PVA and Mandy, Indiana soon at the Windmill.

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

Nice cross-pollination there with Purling Hiss, Mike Polizzi and Kurt Vile. Expect to see various of those popping up in each others sets.

Like others not too overwhelmed or impressed by the headliners but plenty lower down to get into. 

deathcrash, Aldous, Kevin Morby, Cassandra Jenkins, Fruit Bats and TV Priest stand out for me. 

Fleet Foxes as a headliner.....really?  Saw them at Latitude 2017 and it was dire. Field quickly emptied. Unless they've improved. 

Mike is in Purling Hiss so he might have same band for his solo set 

Well I'm excited by that line up, disappointed that there's no Angel Olsen though. 

Khruangbin should be great as Thursday headliner, I reckon I'll be at the Garden Stage for the other three days - I'm guessing Magnetic Fields, Kurt Vile and Perfume Genius. .

From the undercard; Kevin Morby, Lucy Dacus, Greentea Peng, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Yard Act, Moor Mother - I could go on and on. 

Edited by Losing my hair