2022 Line-up thread

Gilgamesh69

I have one their albums. It was OK. Saw a rather phoned in set on the Garden Stage that had it's moments. But their schtick has become old fashioned and not enough time has passed for them to become "classic". The point is just because these bands were big in the late 2010s doesn't mean they are big in mid-2020's.

18 minutes ago, Declan said:

I have one their albums. It was OK. Saw a rather phoned in set on the Garden Stage that had it's moments. But their schtick has become old fashioned and not enough time has passed for them to become "classic". The point is just because these bands were big in the late 2010s doesn't mean they are big in mid-2020's.

Wow!😲

53 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think phoned in is the last thing I'd call BT sets personally, they barely ever stick to a fixed set list and are always changing it around. Sure they have staples but you really don't know what to expect, they played about 7 new songs in their recent US shows. 

BT are only going up I'd say, coming off two critically acclaimed albums in 2019. 

• Upvote 1

I’d take BT (despite not being into them) over the Pixies every day of the week. Pixies is comfortably the worst headliner EOTR has ever considered. Aging nostalgia, 30 years past their best. For me a travesty of a booking. Love the Pixies’ music, but why on earth would a festival that prides itself on the exciting, the relevant, the experimental and the challenging contemplate this nostalgia fest that should be hawking their way round the Butlins circuit. Might as well book Freddie &The Dreamers. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I’d take BT (despite not being into them) over the Pixies every day of the week. Pixies is comfortably the worst headliner EOTR has ever considered. Aging nostalgia, 30 years past their best. For me a travesty of a booking. Love the Pixies’ music, but why on earth would a festival that prides itself on the exciting, the relevant, the experimental and the challenging contemplate this nostalgia fest that should be hawking their way round the Butlins circuit. Might as well book Freddie &The Dreamers. 

Massively agree, its genuinely a shame about how washed up and irrelevant the Pixies are now. I kept forgetting they were on the old line up in all honesty.

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

no Kim either, what's the point.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Look, I get that you don't like them so I'm not gonna change your mind. And I'm not their biggest fan. But declaring a band that hit their biggest peak with 2 top 40 albums in a year two years ago "old fashioned" (before we get to your hilarious stretching of dates - they were only founded in 2016 ffs) just makes you look farcical tbh

42 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Totally agree 

1 minute ago, shoebox said:

I guess I'm in the minority that was really looking forward to Pixies, but then I haven't actually ever seen them live before. Was up for a good ol' singalong.

I could live with them. They are still good fun live, Thursday evening in the Slowdive/Spiritualized/Stereolab slot would work. 

But I don't think they should just rebook the American acts from the 2020 line-up blindly. Start with a clean slate and build a line-up for 2022. 

1 hour ago, robith said:

Look, I get that you don't like them so I'm not gonna change your mind. And I'm not their biggest fan. But declaring a band that hit their biggest peak with 2 top 40 albums in a year two years ago "old fashioned" (before we get to your hilarious stretching of dates - they were only founded in 2016 ffs) just makes you look farcical tbh

Those top 40 albums - 41 and 34, two years ago. When bands like Squid or Black Country New Road are having top 10 lps this year. The times have changed against Big Thief. 

Edited by Declan

6 hours ago, goldengirl said:

I personally hope they don't rebook Pixies but then they seem to be struggling to sell the last of this year's tickets... I think bands with "name recognition" could be considered to sell more tickets? 

Or maybe nostalgia is just clouding their judgement tbh 🙂

2021 originally sold out in March. The tickets currently (?) available are as a result of Covid rollovers. If people aren't buying them it's for the same reason so many tickets are on the resale market, because people can't or currently don't want to go, and of course it's difficult to change plans to encompass a festival weekend at such short notice.

And Pixies are (events permitting) definitely playing 2022. They've already announced a second rollover of as much of their European tour as they can currently announce.

8 hours ago, Declan said:

That's a hot take! 

I felt they were in their absolute peak critically and creatively just before Covid, which was only last year! 

Doubt they've lost it in such a short space of time.

7 hours ago, carwynnen said:

My dream 2022 line up would probably include:

Low, M Ward, Slowdive, Osees, TFC, The Wolfhounds, William Tyler, Grouper, The Walkmen (if only..), Cory Hanson, Mixmaster Morris, Jon Hopkins, Califone.... 

Mixmaster Morris sure would bring back memories of watching him play at Big Chill's when they were held at Larmer Tree. Can we get Biosphere too?

Low and Oh Sees are my favourite 2 bands so I'm totally on board with those choices. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:38 AM, Mardy said:

Ah, the dreaded 'relevant', dropped into every post on the internet dripping with music snobbery. 

I like the Pixies, I'm not a massive uber-fan, but every time I've seen them they have impressed me. They're a big old name and will put bums on proverbial seats.  Plenty of other 'relevant' (to what?) acts on other stages if you don't like the headliner, every EOTR-er knows that.   

3 hours ago, benali said:

After the success of Little Simz yesterday would they book another hip hop act for next year? I'd be in favour.

Given Simon tried to book Simz in 2019 and there was a number of rap/R&B affiliated acts this year there's no way it doesn't become a regular feature. Only question would be who could take that kind of spot - I know Simon was a fan of Slowthai's first album.