Security Checks for Campsite Entry

copperbottom

Hey guys - just wondered if anyone who's been to previous Latitudes can explain how thorough the security checks are on your way into the campsite on arrival? I've had a read of the page on the website detailing what you can and cannot take into the site, and then into the Arena section too, and wondered if the most thorough checks would be on your way into the Arena each day rather than on your way into the campsite? I'd love to know what it's been like from your experience. Cheers!

I've had differing experiences with the security going into the camp site, a lot will depend on day, time and who is on. I've had , nothing, a bit of a rummage, and a full on, go through a lot of your stuff. They are pretty hot on glass, so it's worth decanting spirits or wine. 

Going into the site each day from camping they are usually pretty tight. You have to walk past security who will look in bags, might ask you to empty a bag on a table. Give bags a squeeze or rummage, you can't take in any opened bottles. 

That said, I have managed to get booze in every day, every year,  you just have to be a bit creative. 

I don't know about anything illegal, not my jam. 

I don't remember dogs going into the arena but I'm pretty sure I've seen one going onto the campsite or maybe day tickets. As I say, not my jam so not really looking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I've had differing experiences with the security going into the camp site, a lot will depend on day, time and who is on. I've had , nothing, a bit of a rummage, and a full on, go through a lot of your stuff. They are pretty hot on glass, so it's worth decanting spirits or wine. 

Going into the site each day from camping they are usually pretty tight. You have to walk past security who will look in bags, might ask you to empty a bag on a table. Give bags a squeeze or rummage, you can't take in any opened bottles. 

That said, I have managed to get booze in every day, every year,  you just have to be a bit creative. 

I don't know about anything illegal, not my jam. 

I don't remember dogs going into the arena but I'm pretty sure I've seen one going onto the campsite or maybe day tickets. As I say, not my jam so not really looking. 

Cheers for the detailed response, and thanks for the tips re: glass! I'll chuck my booze in some reusable bottle / flask instead and try to get creative as you've put it, haha. Thank you!

• Like 1

Would have to say depends on your age. Went every year from 2010 to 2018 and never stopped going into the camping area. Mot I ever had was 'any glass?', 'no', 'ok' and carried on walking, but then i was 40 in 2010, it's the younger groups you see being pulled over and emptying everything.

As for the arena, best thing is having a kid in a pushchair, always had cans in the pushchair and never checked (either in the family camping entrance or normal entrance).

Then again, may just be i don't look like an idiot who can't handle their drink! Last time at Reading (2009) had some cans in my bag, it was getting patted down and squeezed, the guy clearly could feel them 'what's this?', 'oh, must be my glasses case' he just looked at me and waved me through.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jamesrfisher said:

Would have to say depends on your age. Went every year from 2010 to 2018 and never stopped going into the camping area. Mot I ever had was 'any glass?', 'no', 'ok' and carried on walking, but then i was 40 in 2010, it's the younger groups you see being pulled over and emptying everything.

As for the arena, best thing is having a kid in a pushchair, always had cans in the pushchair and never checked (either in the family camping entrance or normal entrance).

Then again, may just be i don't look like an idiot who can't handle their drink! Last time at Reading (2009) had some cans in my bag, it was getting patted down and squeezed, the guy clearly could feel them 'what's this?', 'oh, must be my glasses case' he just looked at me and waved me through.

love that. similar story at Reading - two cans stuffed at the back of my wellys. Bloke was like do you think i was born yesterday... get on in there. 

• Upvote 1

I'd echo what other's have said, in that it varies.

Most years we've had no problem, one year we had an argument with security about the amount of booze we had with us, and they tried to tell us there was a set limit.  There were 4 adults (my wife, and two of my sons), so the amount of booze was not over the top at all (a small cool box and a case of lager, no glass), but they wanted to prove a point.  We had to get their superiors involved, and in the end the social media account confirmed there was not a set limit, and that security had been updated, as loads of people were complaining about this particular shift.

I think for going into the arena, most families with young children use them as booze mules.

17 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Helpful posts here. When you say creative do they do any body checks when entering the arena? Or do they mainly concentrate on what is in your bag? 

Mainly bags, but you might get the occasional light pat down

• Upvote 1