Big Red Machine

jparx

Struggling to know where post about these, and given the quality of this new music they definitely deserve their own thread.

These new tunes are seriously good. They’ve firmly left the territory of a side project from two more successful bands to a top band in their own right. This new record could be AOTY levels if they keep this up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Would they play? Is Justin still not touring Bon Iver / the national doing stuff?

Have a feeling there's probably no scheduled tour.

Obviously depends on BI/National tour dates, but Big Red Machine did a show at Primavera Sound 2019 and for the Bon Iver 2020 EU Tour the support was 'Aaron Dessner's 37d07d Machine' which I think would have been a re-jigged version of BRM.

Certainly possible.

I am so pumped for this album. 3/3 on singles so far for me, all different, all good. And I get the feeling they are holding onto the true gems of the album i.e. Taylor and Justin's duet, Aaron's other lead vocal tracks, Hutch and some full Justin vocals.

Non humble brag. I went to the first (of only 2 for some reason) Haven fests that the Dessners put on in Copenhagen. And both days started with BRM on the smallest stage, about 8 months before their first album, just jamming the tracks and working them through in front of a crowd. And Justin belting out "I better not fuck this up." Amazing way to start the day.

A bit mixed on the new tracks, all good and I'm sure will be played a lot and I like Aarons voice. But bar Latter Days they sound a bit too radio friendly or easy. What these two do really well in their full time bands (and the first BRM) is hit me at my core in a way that's a bit off kilter and experimental. These just feel like good folk-pop songs, which you know, how dare they...

20 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Non humble brag. I went to the first (of only 2 for some reason) Haven fests that the Dessners put on in Copenhagen. And both days started with BRM on the smallest stage, about 8 months before their first album, just jamming the tracks and working them through in front of a crowd. And Justin belting out "I better not fuck this up." Amazing way to start the day.

A bit mixed on the new tracks, all good and I'm sure will be played a lot and I like Aarons voice. But bar Latter Days they sound a bit too radio friendly or easy. What these two do really well in their full time bands (and the first BRM) is hit me at my core in a way that's a bit off kilter and experimental. These just feel like good folk-pop songs, which you know, how dare they...

3 for 3 on this album for me. Expecting something really special when we get the record. I have no issue if they've gone fully in a folk-pop direction, but I'm probably with you in hoping the rest of the record is a bit more experimental. If the album has three great, radio friendly singles and they're surrounded by tunes a bit weirder, bit more challenging, they could be on to something exceptional.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jparx said:

3 for 3 on this album for me. Expecting something really special when we get the record. I have no issue if they've gone fully in a folk-pop direction, but I'm probably with you in hoping the rest of the record is a bit more experimental. If the album has three great, radio friendly singles and they're surrounded by tunes a bit weirder, bit more challenging, they could be on to something exceptional.

Yeah I could definitely live with that. Hope we get more JV sing songs as well.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:35 PM, jparx said:

Struggling to know where post about these, and given the quality of this new music they definitely deserve their own thread.

These new tunes are seriously good. They’ve firmly left the territory of a side project from two more successful bands to a top band in their own right. This new record could be AOTY levels if they keep this up.

Nice! Quite Elliott Smith-like. I loved the track they did with Michael Stipe, must keep an eye out for the album next month!

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about everyone else but my Release Radar playlist is often littered with shit from artists I put on once or someone else listened to on my phone. But every now and then all the right artists bring out something new and I have a really nice Friday morning. Today is one of those days with the first track being the new BRM which might be the best so far. It's great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 3:37 AM, tevaburger said:

Couldn't track down The National thread but this one will do and is more relevant. Feature piece on Aaron Dessner in NY Times today

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/arts/music/aaron-dessner-big-red-machine.html

Nice read, second article I've read theorising whether he will or should become pop's next big producer. As a fan I'd rather see him focus on his own stuff.