Thoughts on a arriving on Friday night

e_p

Vis-à-vis the car parks etc - I have both driven in a car and been driven in a car where the drivers (me obvs on one occasion) listened to the stewards, politely thanked them and then drove where we wanted to ie. not where we were told to. On the occasion I was driving I took courage from my brother shouting at me to park it where he wanted it parked, and where there was just enough room to park one car. Turned out to be mentally handy. The people in that field were going mental to get out on Monday. We just walked past them to the top of the field, got in the car (about a minutes drive from the exit) and someone who had been queuing for ages let us in the queue and we were gone. On the other occasion (the only time that I have been driven to the festival, so had Sunday night to play with) was when a mate drove. He automatically ignored the stewards and drove to where he wanted to park. Mind you, he's like that. 

32 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

dogs are fine to pee on my car, and people aren't. i'm not interested with how drunk they are, there's toilets actually available in the car parking field, and failing that there's loads of bushes too. Even ignoring the whole 'leave no trace' idea.

There just isn't a reason to piss on a car other than that you're a ridiculously selfish twat, and do i think that suitable recompense for that is a bop on the nose? 

well, yes, i do 😊 bystanders can think what they like 

Even if I had a posh car (which is impossible because I'd never buy one) I wouldn't mind somebody pissing on it. I dare say with my current car that you could take a dump on it and I still wouldn't hit you. You might even have increased it's value! I don't get it - it's only a car. It's an inanimate object to get you from A to B in. 

its not really the specifics of the car, is it? its the 'i need a wee and my needs are bigger than everyone else's, so i'm pulling out my cock and pissing on someone's property, because that's what i want to do' attitude. 

we've opened up a can of pissworms here 🤣

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Got to recommend WV parking, straight in and dead close to your tent. Don't queue to get out either - easy as anything. 

What's exiting the camper fields like? Now we have a van expecting to be doing this in the future. 

There are a LOT of vehicles in CV East, so i wouldnt see the exiting strategy (if you want one) as being much different to car tbh..

You have a chunk of people leaving on a sunday night (maybe 10%?)... i did it once and it was a horrendous drive home. Everyone in the car (towing a caravan) was asleep as soon as we got on the A37 and i had 5 hours of singing and slapping myself round the face (Services stop halfway) to keep awake.

I normally have a tactically dry Sunday and try and be on the road for 7am Monday and you are basically straight out.. 2019 i was having such a time of it that i stayed on the beer on Sunday.. Left about 10 or 11 and it was 60-90 minutes of queueing..

On original topic.. Like @Superscallyif i couldnt get down there until Friday, i am not sure i would bother tbh... CV fields are open on Tuesday and those first nights of being with friends and family.. cooking, drinking, laughing and reminiscing are special..

I am jealous of all of you that will be there next summer.

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

its not really the specifics of the car, is it? its the 'i need a wee and my needs are bigger than everyone else's, so i'm pulling out my cock and pissing on someone's property, because that's what i want to do' attitude. 

we've opened up a can of pissworms here 🤣

I get your point, but which one of us hasn't pissed where they shouldn't have - not necessarily because 'our' needs were greater and more important than anybody else's, but because we've been so pissed / stoned / high that we simply have not got a clue what we are doing? Or is that just me?

Piss on the worms.

Snake Eater - Drawception

Getting flashbacks to my days parking cars at festivals. I've never been shouted at like it. I don't know what is it about being in a car that makes people think they can treat you like that. From the stewards perspective they have thousands of cars to park and just want to get them in, where you want to part isn't really part of the equation because it's not possible to put you anywhere other than the place you end up in due to the order you arrived at. You couldn't get people in at the speed required to stop queening on the roads.* Though to be fair we always started nearest the gate, and I've never done parking at Glastonbury. 

*The think that pisses locals off about festivals much more than the noise is the traffic they cause. You get a queue on the road and the council will be there straight away to bollock you.

19 minutes ago, TalkShow Bob said:

Getting flashbacks to my days parking cars at festivals. I've never been shouted at like it. I don't know what is it about being in a car that makes people think they can treat you like that. From the stewards perspective they have thousands of cars to park and just want to get them in, where you want to part isn't really part of the equation because it's not possible to put you anywhere other than the place you end up in due to the order you arrived at. You couldn't get people in at the speed required to stop queening on the roads.* Though to be fair we always started nearest the gate, and I've never done parking at Glastonbury. 

*The think that pisses locals off about festivals much more than the noise is the traffic they cause. You get a queue on the road and the council will be there straight away to bollock you.

id imagine its not quite as random as it might appear to car arrivals .... there will be set traffic management plans into carparks as well as out of them .... pedestrian flows need to be taken account of too .... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TalkShow Bob said:

Which festival did you do parking at?

Must say I've never seen anyone shouting at parking stewards!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Loads, some are worse than others (Guilfest probably the worst) but when your doing traffic you get verbal abuse almost hourly. I've seen people get punched by drivers who thought they had a god given right to do what they want. I've had quite a few people square up to me. All we were trying to do was keep the traffic flowing but it turns out getting behind the wheel turns some people into entitled pricks. The worst is trying to keep a semblance of order when everyone is leaving. I've seen people purposely drive into people who stopped them to let another traffic lane move. 

The funniest thing is you'd see the people who had shouted at you later in the festival. They wouldn't recognise you and would be all chilled, full of the peace and love, and having fun.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s actually legal to pee against one of the tyres on a car isn’t it ? Or is that some wives tale ? 

I should add that the incident I am referring to wasn’t on the tyre, I distinctly heard to stream rattling off the rear wing as I was curled up on the back seat trying to sleep though it was intermittent due to the unsteady urinator and his aim. I was tempted to say to him, just wait until I need a shit but not brave enough. 

21 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

There used to be a tiny one day event near me (organised by Gandhi's Flipflop, veggie curry guys). I knew a few people who worked at the venue. One year they had the bright idea of putting one of the volunteers who was there as part of a program to boost his confidence, out front of the gate to stop people parking/abandoning their cars in stupid places. Nearly broke the poor guy.

13 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

There used to be a tiny one day event near me (organised by Gandhi's Flipflop, veggie curry guys). I knew a few people who worked at the venue. One year they had the bright idea of putting one of the volunteers who was there as part of a program to boost his confidence, out front of the gate to stop people parking/abandoning their cars in stupid places. Nearly broke the poor guy.

Oh dear poor guy! Though I think a good half of the confidence I have now comes from working traffic management at festivals (and it beat litter picking as a job!)

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I took courage from my brother shouting at me to park it where he wanted it parked, and where there was just enough room to park one

Was this in the field they directed you to or did you ignore them entirely and drive to the field you wanted?

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Was this in the field they directed you to or did you ignore them entirely and drive to the field you wanted?

My memory tells me that it was in the same field, but in a completely wrong direction to where they had intended us to go. They wanted us to go down and left in the field (I think - it was fucking loads and loads of years ago) and my brother told me to ignore them and go where he wanted, which I know was at the top of the field, right in front of some barn type structure, with a road to the right hand side of it, and the actual exit (as we found when we actually exited) just a little drive up that right hand road. When I say road, i mean trackway, whifch was obcviously used as such by the people who work on the farm. It di not have metal trackways put down, if my memory serves me right.

I could email my brother for further clarification if you so wish?

On 7/2/2021 at 1:18 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My memory tells me that it was in the same field, but in a completely wrong direction to where they had intended us to go. They wanted us to go down and left in the field (I think - it was fucking loads and loads of years ago) and my brother told me to ignore them and go where he wanted, which I know was at the top of the field, right in front of some barn type structure, with a road to the right hand side of it, and the actual exit (as we found when we actually exited) just a little drive up that right hand road. When I say road, i mean trackway, whifch was obcviously used as such by the people who work on the farm. It di not have metal trackways put down, if my memory serves me right.

I could email my brother for further clarification if you so wish?

If you recall - they expanded into fields that they never used before ' on the west side '
and at some point in time they were used for parking and then they expanded again so fields that were used for parking became camping areas and now all that is left is a massive parking area.

## in the middle is lots of barns - some are used for cows and some are used for chickens { thousands of them - make a right racket } and part of your description ' provided the dates match ' could be in this area - hence the photos as you may spot something that you recognise ##

I entered that way and stewards were directing people to various fields but because I was displaying  a crew pass - I was waved on but I could see other drivers following my car even although stewards were trying to divert them as they did not have a pass.

I parked next to the wall { which was near PGD } as it did not matter as I was intending to leave at 3am Monday morning so did not get caught on the way out as that would have been a right pain in the Arse.

that was before 2009 as after the problems with coach access that year { long story } it was decided that most WBC staff arrive on the Tuesday { there is others who arrive 2 weeks before as they build up the bars etc etc }

glasto-19-1000.jpg.9e18927207ce2997dbea15bc025f6bfe.jpgglasto-20-1000.jpg.5e784fd1c0336f4b6dda1a3c905c069b.jpg2010-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.19ce79b67b0a25201d3250c35d9deef5.jpgglasto-53-1000.jpg.663fceb03760e9549e15f5433a47fee4.jpg

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

If you recall - they expanded into fields that they never used before ' on the west side '
and at some point in time they were used for parking and then they expanded again so fields that were used for parking became camping areas and now all that is left is a massive parking area.

## in the middle is lots of barns - some are used for cows and some are used for chickens { thousands of them - make a right racket } and part of your description ' provided the dates match ' could be in this area - hence the photos as you may spot something that you recognise ##

I entered that way and stewards were directing people to various fields but because I was displaying  a crew pass - I was waved on but I could see other drivers following my car even although stewards were trying to divert them as they did not have a pass.

I parked next to the wall { which was near PGD } as it did not matter as I was intending to leave at 3am Monday morning so did not get caught on the way out as that would have been a right pain in the Arse.

that was before 2009 as after the problems with coach access that year { long story } it was decided that most WBC staff arrive on the Tuesday { there is others who arrive 2 weeks before as they build up the bars etc etc }

glasto-19-1000.jpg.9e18927207ce2997dbea15bc025f6bfe.jpgglasto-20-1000.jpg.5e784fd1c0336f4b6dda1a3c905c069b.jpg2010-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.19ce79b67b0a25201d3250c35d9deef5.jpgglasto-53-1000.jpg.663fceb03760e9549e15f5433a47fee4.jpg

God I remember the problems with coach access in 2009. We waited for a shuttle bus from Bath and West for about six hours or something (think there was an accident?). Pretty sure I got mild sunstroke and put a bit of a dampener on the start to my second time at the festival! Soon got over it though.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

God I remember the problems with coach access in 2009. We waited for a shuttle bus from Bath and West for about six hours or something (think there was an accident?). Pretty sure I got mild sunstroke and put a bit of a dampener on the start to my second time at the festival! Soon got over it though.

Three of my friends got the train that year and spent 5-6 hours on the coach shuttle bus after getting off at Castle Cary.

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Three of my friends got the train that year and spent 5-6 hours on the coach shuttle bus after getting off at Castle Cary.

I suppose waiting at the ground is better than actually being sat on a coach but it was bloody grim being so near and yet so far! With very little comms about what was going on. We had barely any water or food on us so ended up drinking cider and that probably didn't help with the whole sun stroke thing. Barely any shade there at all.

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I suppose waiting at the ground is better than actually being sat on a coach but it was bloody grim being so near and yet so far! With very little comms about what was going on. We had barely any water or food on us so ended up drinking cider and that probably didn't help with the whole sun stroke thing. Barely any shade there at all.

We somehow luckily got on site before it had happened....I think they were rather frustrated at being so near yet so far.

I can't recall off hand where the crash was but it caused absolute mayhem I know that much.

I remember walking around the site thinking it was still fairly quiet at 4-5pm.

59 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

52 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We somehow luckily got on site before it had happened....I think they were rather frustrated at being so near yet so far.

I can't recall off hand where the crash was but it caused absolute mayhem I know that much.

I remember walking around the site thinking it was still fairly quiet at 4-5pm.

We { WBC Coach } were coming from London and on the A303 near a large roundabout we should have been heading North up to Pilton but the driver did not follow this huge sign and went down a single track road { heading west} - as soon as I spotted I asked him to back up as I was right behind him ' as it looked very narrow ' - his words were ## we we are bound to reach a side road soon and I will use that to get back ##

If I ever find him - I will get that tattooed on his chest because ' That screwed us completely '

it was on Unclassified Road and was so narrow we had to ask residents to move their cars - this took Bloody ages - at some points the sides of the Coach was brushing against Thatched roofs at the same time - the Locals were not happy  - we were not happy .

now this Unclassified Road only ended ' west of Glastonbury town ' so we got caught up in traffic from the M5 { heading East } 

just to make it 10 times worse ' I had two friends from Iceland ' who had never been to Glastonbury before and they kept asking ' how long until we arrive ? ' 

If he had followed that bloody sign ' we would have entered the festival site { the coach has a on site pass } Before 6pm - we only reached the site gates well after 2am and then security tried to stop us ## as we were not on the bloody list ## I did point out if they look at their evening sheets they would find the coach reg number and funny enough they did .

now I did not register the time we joined the road A361 but it was clear that something had happened { don't know when or where } because as the Coach entered Glastonbury town the traffic was at a standstill - so much that some people got off the Coach and were going to the Pub { I did warn them that we would not wait } - they eat in that pub - some played pool - they must have been gone a good two Hours and when they got back ' the bloody Coach had moved 30 feet '

now just that experience the Icelandic female has refused to go back to Glastonbury but her husband has been back every year since then { the two in black t-shirts }

## you wont believe this but my friends from Iceland are on a plane just now and if they get though the red tape { they are not happy as they have a EU COVID-19 Vaccine Passport but they still need to have two PCR tests - they can fly anywhere in the EU without tests } I will be meeting them this afternoon in a Pub in Finsbury Park - they were last here 10 Months ago { Without Covid they show up every 2 or 3 months } - lucky it was not yesterday. ##

its over that screw up that I was able to persuade the WBC Top brass that in future the Crew Coaches arrive on the Tuesday when traffic is not a factor.

I had no idea that it also affected the shuttle bus from Castle Cary.

glasto-58-1000.thumb.jpg.b3af7033e6c3ea4bd40a1a1f3f5f4c56.jpg