Thoughts on a arriving on Friday night

e_p

Due to work, if I get a ticket, I’d only be able to  arrive about 7pm Friday.  Where would you camp considering I’d also have to leave during the Sunday night headliners? Friends would likely be in worthy view and there’s no point booking. That for just 2 nights.

Obviously it’s better than not going at all, but has anyone ever done such a short one before? 

2009 one of my friends was only allowed the Friday afternoon and Monday morning off work (one full day) as things were so manic at his job and as he got his ticket in a resale the annual leave request had gone in later than usual.

He got onto site about 4pm Friday...and shared a tent with a friend of ours who had arrived Wednesday morning.  He got bang on it Friday & Saturday night to get his moneys worth then stayed sober on the Sunday and left after watching the Prodigy headline the Other stage...think he got home at 4am and then slept till 11am then went into work for the afternoon.

said he was glad he came but did feel like he missed half of the festival although his comedown was half as bad as the rest of us 🤣

Edited by gooner1990

I had no option once.

l have notoriously bad luck at times. My friends and I had established that they'd travel down as usual on the Tuesday evening, and I'd follow on the Wednesday mid morning. I had to see something through and there was literally only the tiniest chance it would delay me heading down.

Anyhow, as it was at 10:43am, I received a phone call that meant not only could I not leave work, I wouldn't be leaving for a couple of days. 

Luckily, at 10:39am, I had received a picture of my tent sent up (with my mates in it) on Park Home.

To cut a longer story short, I didn't get to the farm until late on Friday. I caught the last few strains of Tame Impala on the Other Stage. 

I then had a fantastic 48 hours, but missed loads I'd wanted to see and felt a bit like I was playing catch up at times.

Was it ideal? Far from it.

Would I do it again if I had to l? Absolutely.

Incidentally, the car parks at that time on a Friday are a very different place...!

Edited by vintagelaureate

You'd definitely get space in Darble. I camped there in 2014 as my mate had a bad back and we couldn't carry our stuff much further from the coach park. There was still loads of space there all weekend. It was a trek back home but it's nice and chilled, albeit not a party campsite.

Pylon and Bushy would probably be options too as there is usually space. I camp in Bushy out of choice now because I realised after years of camping in Park Home that I need something a bit quieter!

If you're driving then these options might not be that great though as they're all close to the coach park/shuttle drop-off.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

9 hours ago, e_p said:

Due to work, if I get a ticket, I’d only be able to  arrive about 7pm Friday.  Where would you camp considering I’d also have to leave during the Sunday night headliners? Friends would likely be in worthy view and there’s no point booking. That for just 2 nights.

Obviously it’s better than not going at all, but has anyone ever done such a short one before? 

My friend is a teacher and he always arrived around 6pm on the Friday. And he definitely thinks it's worth it!

Ok cheers.  What camping out of all these would be nearest the car parks (not coach) and also emptyish? And presumably I’d end up in a car park miles away as I’d be last to get there.  Would it make it easier to get away on Sunday or Monday though?

A friend of ours (a Teacher) couldn't come down until Friday night and had to leave early Sunday night.

We were in CV East. We arrived early doors Wed.

What we did is take a small tent down with us and set it up for them and kept an eye on it until they were able to take residence.

They parked in one of the car parks behind East CV and entered via PG-C with just a bag of clothes and some beers, we met  up and took them to the tent, dropping the bag off at the lockup.

When they left Sunday night they dropped off the tent next to our campervan on the way out.

So if your in WV -take a tent for them, set it up and on Sunday pop it back to WV or get them to take it back when they leave.

They 100% didn't have any regrets.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Penrhos said:

A friend of ours (a Teacher) couldn't come down until Friday night and had to leave early Sunday night.

We were in CV East. We arrived early doors Wed.

What we did is take a small tent down with us and set it up for them and kept an eye on it until they were able to take residence.

They parked in one of the car parks behind East CV and entered via PG-C with just a bag of clothes and some beers, we met  up and took them to the tent, dropping the bag off at the lockup.

When they left Sunday night they dropped off the tent next to our campervan on the way out.

So if your in WV -take a tent for them, set it up and on Sunday pop it back to WV or get them to take it back when they leave.

They 100% didn't have any regrets.

Would they not be able to camp in a tent next to your campervan in CV East?

51 minutes ago, Homer said:

We arrive on Thursday and we now camp in the Pylon Field which isn't too bad (espec if you like the JP tent). Long old trek back from the naughty corner though!

I'm wondering at what point my time will come when I start going to the festival later than Wednesday morning....certainly feels like a long old slog these days!

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

this is my working fear .... would my dodgy back hold out .... 

We've already got a 50/50 split in standard camping vs glamping (worthy view, teepee, stichlinch etc) 

I'm ok in standard camping for now but I do feel in a few years it will be either give up going ( 😮 ) or admit defeat and go in glamping which I really don't want to do!

Edited by gooner1990

At the tender age of waaay tooo old (I was alive when England won the world cup!), we switched from campervan to standard camping and wondered why we ever did the campervan. My tent (a small fresh&black) is kitted out to be way more comfy than a campervan. Less walking, more atmosphere, more people to chat to, better food, better loos, better access to water etc. Love it in general population.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

At the tender age of waaay tooo old (I was alive when England won the world cup!), we switched from campervan to standard camping and wondered why we ever did the campervan. My tent (a small fresh&black) is kitted out to be way more comfy than a campervan. Less walking, more atmosphere, more people to chat to, better food, better loos, better access to water etc. Love it in general population.

Had you always done campervan from when you started going?

What prompted the switch?

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Had you always done campervan from when you started going?

What prompted the switch?

Yes - we loved arriving on Tuesday evening and sitting on the hill in CV East - did that for 6 years. But basically that turns out to be the only benefit compared to the downsides. We switched when we got tickets in the resale and had no time to sort out a van. We camp at other festivals and it was the Tuesday eve that swayed us to keeping the CV for Glastonbury.

But being in the centre of it all for the week outweighs that evening.

I'd be interested to know if the CV East is still as fab now that the queueueueueue to get in on Wednesday is so long? Before we used to just walk straight in, very little queuing or messing about.

1 minute ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Yes - we loved arriving on Tuesday evening and sitting on the hill in CV East - did that for 6 years. But basically that turns out to be the only benefit compared to the downsides. We switched when we got tickets in the resale and had no time to sort out a van. We camp at other festivals and it was the Tuesday eve that swayed us to keeping the CV for Glastonbury.

But being in the centre of it all for the week outweighs that evening.

I'd be interested to know if the CV East is still as fab now that the queueueueueue to get in on Wednesday is so long? Before we used to just walk straight in, very little queuing or messing about.

Never done CV  fields, but friends of mine have...think they prefer it as something more comfy to sleep in and a bit quieter...plus no hassle of queuing with rucksacks for hours on end.

I arrived Friday morning one time, if memory serves me right. On the Thursday I had to drive for over 5 hours in a northerly direction from Birmingham. I then had to attend a funeral, and then drive all the way back past Birmingham (from whence I had originally started) and then down to the festival arriving there at about 4am. Then I had to put a tent up so that my then girlfriend could sleep, and then I watched an undercover cop go around talking to various groups, walking off, and then plain clothes police went in on those people. This happened a fair few times in front of my eyes. There was nothing I could do to help people, who were obviously being done for only smoke, I'd say. I just watched the performance. If I had that time again, I don't believe that I would repeat my performance. 

Lime Kiln/Hitchin Hill corner of the site has been my go-to for years and I think it's criminally underrated. Very manageable walk to all of the main stages for start of the day, close enough to Pyramid to do a tactical stop-off before the headliners and even though the walk back from SE Corner is probably as long it can be, it helps you get back to a good level before going to bed.

2 minutes ago, e_p said:

Would you get a choice where to park if you arrived late Friday? 

Bizzarely, I ended up in virtually the same space when I àrrived late Friday to early hours Wednesday.

I was still directed into Orange (39 I think)