The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

Haven't read the whole thread - soz - but got to say for me the worst set was Toots - God rest his soul -  in 2017 - hanging around the West Holts waiting for him with no music, having chosen him over Liam Gallagher (no brainer) was pretty rubbish. 

The Cure were absolutely magnificent. Sound was unbelievable, great setlist. I wasn’t a huge fan beforehand but I was much more of one after.

If we’re talking actual bad sets-Motörhead 2015. Nothing about it made any sense to anyone.

Suede, Pyramid, 2003. Normally a great live band but they were really off colour. Bretts constant desperate exhortations to the crowd for a reaction were excruciating to watch.

Morrissey 2011. As grey and miserable an evening as Glastonbury has ever had. Credit to his band though for ruthless consistency. There doesn’t seem to be a Smiths song they can’t drain all the life from.

Primal Scream, Pyramid, 2013. I’m not convinced anyone on stage (bar HAIM) or in the field enjoyed that. The sub slot is tricky at the best of times but they really crashed and burned. 

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

If we’re talking actual bad sets-Motörhead 2015. Nothing about it made any sense to anyone.

Got all the respect in the world for Lemmy continuing to do the thing he loved right up until the end, but yeah, he was clearly well past it by then, looked incredibly frail, and even sung Ace of Spades over a completely different song. Was all very sad to see.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

The Cure were absolutely magnificent. Sound was unbelievable, great setlist. I wasn’t a huge fan beforehand but I was much more of one after.

Suede, Pyramid, 2003. Normally a great live band but they were really off colour. Bretts constant desperate exhortations to the crowd for a reaction were excruciating to watch.

Morrissey 2011. As grey and miserable an evening as Glastonbury has ever had. Credit to his band though for ruthless consistency. There doesn’t seem to be a Smiths song they can’t drain all the life from.

Primal Scream, Pyramid, 2013. I’m not convinced anyone on stage (bar HAIM) or in the field enjoyed that. The sub slot is tricky at the best of times but they really crashed and burned. 

They've got to be the worst backing band of any of the major artists. I can only assume he's picked them because they manage to make the Smiths songs sound awful. That would be a very Morrissey thing wouldn't it?

13 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I had a jobby that used to. It's been washed too much. 

I'm sure you know what I actually meant.

Are you by any chance Scottish?

I've always associated the word jobby with jocks for some reason. Possibly a Billy Connelly thing.

Northern, but not Scottish. A fan of Mr Connolly though, and Trainspotting (which had a fair bit of jobby-related action!)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Zacko said:

They've got to be the worst backing band of any of the major artists. I can only assume he's picked them because they manage to make the Smiths songs sound awful. That would be a very Morrissey thing wouldn't it?

Was gonna make a similar comment. The WORST band of any solo star. I'd say he likes them because they don't question him.

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, Ddiamondd said:

Speaking of 2005.... look, it's not the worst, but did the White Stripes really have to play Passive Manipulation three times? And no Fell In Love With A Girl? (Which I get the feeling Jack hates, but whatever)

It could have been great but it was merely good.

Wow did we have different perspectives.  I was quite in the crowd there and they went down an absolute storm.

On 7/1/2021 at 4:30 PM, Zacko said:

It absolutely would. I never previously thought it might be deliberate but it actually makes perfect sense.

36 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Gotta disagree with this one, they were ace, especially given conditions and the delayed start.

To be honest I only saw the end really, went to that Damon Albarn Syrian Orchestra thing because of the delayed start. I just remember his crowdsurfing looking really funny when we came back. At least we saw Laid.