The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

I've only got two that spring to mind and that's The Cribs 2015 and New Order 2016 both Other Stage. Every time I've seen The Cribs previously and after they've been amazing but that was a proper off day and New Order was just boring, Bernards voice sounded horrific and it was encapsulated with an awful cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart to close!

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I really enjoyed Pharrell.

Your allowed to, thats the subjective beauty of music, I just thought it was a lot of style over substance, especially when he went full on Jacko at the end with the kids on stage. 

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

This will need some clarification. Although not high energy, the King laid down some tasty blues in the afternoon rain.

Watched it from near the ash tree with my father in law, who agreed he was shite even though we were both looking forward to him,  from the back I've never seen anyone empty the middle of the pyramid field quicker than BB King, he took ages to get on stage and then didnt shut up talking.  I knew it wasn't just me when my brother came to see me as he was camping with his friends, before he even said hi the first thing he said was along the lines of "well he's fucking shite isnt he" 

Each to their own, I've spoke to people on here over the years who loved his set, but from where I was stood it just didnt connect with me. I was absolutely gutted as well that it didnt. 

Seen some stinkers over the years ...

Agree with Stu (and many others) Shakey was pretty poor.

Rod was probably my worst headliner, but that may have been partly my own fault as I'd convinced myself and others that it was going to be a Faces-heavy set with Ronnie guesting. It wasn't.

Although, my all-time worst has to be The Klaxons on '07. The grimmest act in the middle of the coldest, dampest, drizzlyest festival.

Happy Mondays in 1999 or 2000 i think.

They were rubbish and what made it worse was Shaun was dressed as if he was going off on safari and Rowena nicked his elephant gun hat , which pissed him off loads.

I seem to remember Blondie being pretty rubbish about that time as well.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Keanu Reeves Dog star 1999 dog s&@t more like 

I wondered if someone would mention that.  I was there but can't remember anything of it having hit the Rum Bar that was at the side of the Other Stage  for quite a few Mojito''s beforehand.  Myself and a mate had secured a comfy sofa and to preserve said sofa we just kept ordering.

"Order another I  cant be arsed to move " was said a number of times.

All those years ago but i can still remember the lime , ginger, mint  and rum tipple 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Seen some stinkers over the years ...

Agree with Stu (and many others) Shakey was pretty poor.

Rod was probably my worst headliner, but that may have been partly my own fault as I'd convinced myself and others that it was going to be a Faces-heavy set with Ronnie guesting. It wasn't.

Although, my all-time worst has to be The Klaxons on '07. The grimmest act in the middle of the coldest, dampest, drizzlyest festival.

I lasted 30 seconds of that Klaxons set…

The Who have been mentioned already, but their 2007 set for me was right up there among the most boring I've ever seen by anyone. 
Arcade Fire that year didn't really connect. 
Went with a mate to see Babyshambles on the Other Stage on year, can't quite recall which, and they were dreadful. 
BB King got mentioned, and I can understand why, as much as he was a legend he was also clearly very frail and certainly didn't deliver the quality of set I'd seen from him before on a couple of occasions. 

Great to see some love for the John Fogerty set in 2007, but for that I think I might have gone home on the Sunday morning. 

Edited by Dark Star

U2 looked good on TV, and as has been mentioned a few times on here, opening with all the Achtung Baby stuff was a baller move. Those final two songs are a real head scratcher though. Real sign of a band who clearly doesn’t do festivals and thought they could pull the same fan-only shit that they do at their own shows.

Do feel very bad for them though, as you’re fighting a losing battle playing whilst it’s absolutely bucketing it down like that, and had they played in 2010 like they were originally supposed to I’m sure it would’ve been far far better received, silly encore included.

17 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Also, Dizzie in 2013. Dishonourable mention for The View - who, if I've got my years right, missed their set at Williams Green in 2013 as they had gone AWOL somewhere on site.

Someone close to the band had passed away that morning, not sure if it was crew or a family member, but that's why they didn't end up playing. 

Already a few mentions for this, but Oasis in 2004 were truly terrible. I know its the Gallagher brothers, but how can even they look so totally bored headlining the Pyramid?! For me, a slot on that stage is the absolute pinnacle of any musician's career, and they just looked utterly indifferent to even being at the festival.

Also, sitting through The 1975 before Dolly Parton was pretty horrific. Not saying they weren't any good, I'm sure their fans enjoyed it, I just can't stand them!

20 minutes ago, swede said:

Someone close to the band had passed away that morning, not sure if it was crew or a family member, but that's why they didn't end up playing. 

Ah! after all these years the mystery is solved. Cheers for that. I'm afraid their reputation preceded them and the rumour was they were drunk somewhere on site.

35 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

To be fair, @Toilet Duck did on page 1. A mention as unfortunately forgettable as the actual set, it seems.

The rain was a big factor but the last two songs of the encore were Moment of Surrender and Out of Control — not exactly the smartest choices to go out on. Also, if I remember correctly, Bono wore the wrong shoes so he couldn't move around stage properly without fear of stacking it on his arse?

Damp squib all round.

I just recall standing there, watching while my pint slowly filled with rainwater as Bono pissed around with some international space station bullshit contemplating that it was the first and only time I’ve felt utterly miserable at Glastonbury.

Shakin Stevens

Oasis 2004

And Van Morrison 2005 - My memory here (and it might be wrong) was that he played a pretty good set, and then something happened to piss him off, he threw an almighty strop, stormed off the stage, and left his band to play the final few songs without him.  As he refused to have his set filmed, I can't look back to check if that is actually what happened.

8 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Ah! after all these years the mystery is solved. Cheers for that. I'm afraid their reputation preceded them and the rumour was they were drunk somewhere on site.

No, I made my way from the other side of the site for their set and when they hadn't shown asked someone and they said it was due to someone dying that morning, so I went and got a cider and some gumbo from Crayfish Bobs, as much as I like the view the food and drink was probably better.