The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

1 hour ago, waltere said:

Got to agree with the Lauryn Hill mentions.

In the immortal words of someone on this forum shortly after that festival "I didn't realise Miss Lauryn Hill was an instruction".

👏🏽 Bravo. I’m out of upvotes atm but I’ll be back to credit this with an upvote. 

Lauryn Hill let us all down.  The DJ thing was a joke but that and the sound could be forgiven.

Radiohead was a snooze fest.  Maybe it would be tolerable if I took a camping chair and was very drunk.

Arcade Fire 2007 - Having blagged my mates that it would be the set of the weekend, I begrudgingly followed them when they left half way through to go see Kasabian (I think) as it was boring.

Oasis  2004 - Not bad as such, musically it was there but the attitude wasn't, a workman like performance that should have been awesome.

The Killers 2007 - Not the band's fault, we just couldn't hear 'em.

Arctic Monkeys 2007 - They were not a headline band at this time, I'm sure I remember Alex asking "Glastonbury, are you still with us?" or something like it, really underwhelming... don't believe the hype! 

Watching from home, Kanye's set seemed beyond rubbish, especially when he appeared to be hanging on for dear life in the cherry picker, started off pretty good though.

Edited by Barney McGrew

Paul Simon was very disappointing. Illness aside, the set list choices were bafflingly obscure. A few hits, sure but not a single S&G song? Multiply that by the low energy performance and it was a snooze fest. In hindsight, he should have cancelled due to illness and come back another time.

I left Blur ‘09 half way through because I was not enjoying it. I didn’t even have anything else to go to...

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Paul Simon was very disappointing. Illness aside, the set list choices were bafflingly obscure. A few hits, sure but not a single S&G song? Multiply that by the low energy performance and it was a snooze fest. In hindsight, he should have cancelled due to illness and come back another time.

I left Blur ‘09 half way through because I was not enjoying it. I didn’t even have anything else to go to...

Prodigy? Blur are up there with my favourite all time sets, it was just such a happy nostalgic wander down memory lane and forms part of a hat trick of best ends to the festival for me (Blur, Stevie, QOTSA in ‘09, ‘10, ‘11)…my only tiny regret is that I had to miss Prodigy to be there (probably the worst clash I’ve ever had at the festival)…

Oasis 2004- The biggest disappointment since seeing Dylan in 87

Beck 2016- Probably controversial. I’d gone to watch Beck not Chris and his mates. There was a disconnect between them and the audience. I don’t play Coldplay fans as most do. I thought there was no effort from them to get the audience onside. 

11 minutes ago, tarw said:

Oasis 2004- The biggest disappointment since seeing Dylan in 87

Beck 2016- Probably controversial. I’d gone to watch Beck not Chris and his mates. There was a disconnect between them and the audience. I don’t play Coldplay fans as most do. I thought there was no effort from them to get the audience onside. 

The crowd for Beck was shite. Which was a shame because he was ace, he tried gamely to win them over but was always on to a loser.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The crowd for Beck was shite. Which was a shame because he was ace, he tried gamely to win them over but was always on to a loser.

I was lucky for this. Was in a little pocket of Beck fans. My mate, who was further forward and surrounded by Coldplay fans said it was shite. Glad I gave up trying to get to him

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't personally think Kanye merits 'worst' — but he had the most precipitous slide from 'wow this is incredible' to 'hmm, bit of a lull' to '...is he even taking this seriously anymore?' in quick succession.

He roared back in the two encores, and it was a fun show to be at, but by then it had a whiff of improv night. Memorable but below par overall.

Yeah the opening 20-30 mins were as good as it gets. 

All downhill after that. 

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was lucky for this. Was in a little pocket of Beck fans. My mate, who was further forward and surrounded by Coldplay fans said it was shite. Glad I gave up trying to get to him

Like I said probably controversial. 

I was in the pit. People around me were a mix of people who had come to see Beck and those waiting for Coldplay. The crowd where I was could easily have been won over. I did not get the impression he was trying to win people over more sulking that they weren’t here to see him. 

should have taken a leaf out of Frank’s book when he was on before the Killers

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Prodigy? Blur are up there with my favourite all time sets, it was just such a happy nostalgic wander down memory lane and forms part of a hat trick of best ends to the festival for me (Blur, Stevie, QOTSA in ‘09, ‘10, ‘11)…my only tiny regret is that I had to miss Prodigy to be there (probably the worst clash I’ve ever had at the festival)…

Blur one of my favourites too, properly engaging with the crowd too, unlike Gorillaz sterile performance the next year. Blur were also followed by a biblical thunderstorm which felt like a perfect way to end. 

Not so much worst, but disappointing,  was Amy Winehouse in 2008. Loved her and her music, but she was off her head and barely keeping up with her brilliant backing band.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

+1 for this. Plastic Beach was my fav record of that summer, and I loved the set. Sympathetic with how it fell short for a headline performance to many, though — Damon admitted he threw himself in the deep end without a thorough game-plan for how to make the show audience-friendly. The periods of silence while shuffling between guests created ripples of awkwardness in the crowd that you rarely see. It did feel a bit like a dress rehearsal.

One for the 'heads', but really enjoyed it all the same.

Snoop was the best part of Gorillaz quite comfortably. Unfortunately by Damon doing that it became as dull as dish water. I actually think I'd have been happy had Gorillaz not played and Dizzee headlined as after him I've rarely seen a come down like that.

Fairplay for people who did like it but I think you really needed to be a heavy fan.

16 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yeah the opening 20-30 mins were as good as it gets. 

All downhill after that. 

Did you see the 21st century documentary last night? Apparently he kept looking like he was about to walk off stage so Emily was preparing to convince him to go back on. I didn't see it live but on TV it looked a really confused set which didn't know what it wanted to be 

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

Lauryn Hill. The danger signs were there from various videos of prior sets online, but Miseducation was so seminal, and an appearance so rare, I think many of us felt duty bound to be there and hope for the best. Unfortunately we all lost that bet. Firstly, she was late. Second, much of her valuable time was used by a DJ playing ‘warm up’ tunes (for what purpose? You don’t need to hype us up, it’s fucking Glastonbury!). When she eventually appeared, yet again her perfectionism spoilt what could have been a wonderful Glasto moment. She seemed consistently annoyed with the sound, gesticulating wildly to sound crews and her production team, at one stage even stopping proceedings between songs and visibly laying into someone verbally, side of stage. We just wanted the hits and a singalong, but Ms Hill didn’t seem to want to be reduced to that, betraying a huge disconnect between the artist and crowd; the kind that kills sets. Killing Me Softly was dutifully trotted out as a kind of token last-song offering but it was too late. Many of us were disappointed, regretting our decision to sacrifice The Comet is Coming at West Holts for this. 

I went to see The Lumineers and The Charlatans instead. The Lumineers were a bit, I used to like these. And The Charlatans, I just couldn't get into it. I was very tired though by this point from a very early get up and working shift the direct opposite of the site.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Oasis 2004 - just awful.

James Brown 2004 - go watch it on iPlayer, guy only sings for about five minutes in the entire set. Sad to see a legendary performer so blatantly past it.

Mumfords 2013 - Dull as fuck.

Sheeran 2027 - See above.

The last two I agree. Didn't see other two.

Mumfords has okay moments buy it felt very underwhelming for a closing slot. The Beatles cover to end it really didn't help. Their set however at TITP two weeks later was much better. I was quite a fan of Mumford at the time too but it was just all wrong.

Sheeran just didn't work, no feeling of a headline set and he messed it up too.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

I saw a heavier come down that weekend tbf: Frank Lampard's disallowed goal vs Germany ruining an entire field's Sunday.

Not for me. I didn't expect us to win but it's England Germany. Disappointment was getting to Ray Davies a little later than I otherwise would have but I'm not the biggest Kinks fan. Slash that day too but I've seen him with GNR and I'm not a fan of Slash solo material.

28 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I saw a heavier come down that weekend tbf: Frank Lampard's disallowed goal vs Germany ruining an entire field's Sunday.

Admittedly I'm not English, but I thought that was a great afternoon. Ray Davies and Slash in the sun, two very happy Glastonbury memories for me. 

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

+1 for this. Plastic Beach was my fav record of that summer, and I loved the set. Sympathetic with how it fell short for a headline performance to many, though — Damon admitted he threw himself in the deep end without a thorough game-plan for how to make the show audience-friendly. The periods of silence while shuffling between guests created ripples of awkwardness in the crowd that you rarely see. It did feel a bit like a dress rehearsal.

One for the 'heads', but really enjoyed it all the same.

I saw a bit on TV from Glasto, then live at Roskilde the following week. Damon made a conscious effort to interact with the crowd A LOT more, lesson learnt for him I think with Gorillaz live.

Edited by Radiochicken

I think there’s a generational divide with some of these here.

Kanye was brilliant. It was absolutely chaotic. It had this kind of vibe like it was on a knife edge from suddenly ending. Hard to explain the exhilaration of it.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Admittedly I'm not English, but I thought that was a great afternoon. Ray Davies and Slash in the sun, two very happy Glastonbury memories for me. 

Yep, that’s where I was too and a marvellous afternoon it was too! (Bloody scorching mind you!)…

edit: not a comment on the football by the way, I was oblivious to what was happening there…

Edited by Toilet Duck