On this day…

Tartan_Glasto

We usually get one of those late busses early hours Monday from the festival over to Bristol and spend the night somewhere cheap, so right now id probably be sound asleep in an Ibis or something!

Most importantly we’d be counting down to next year 😏

31 minutes ago, jparx said:

We usually get one of those late busses early hours Monday from the festival over to Bristol and spend the night somewhere cheap, so right now id probably be sound asleep in an Ibis or something

I could consider doing something like this.  The schlep back to Edinburgh on the Monday afternoon is my least favourite thing about the whole experience.

So Today’s the day we emerge from our tents and look at the patches of green grass around us with sadness … but with our lives enriched with memories of the last 5 days and friendships that will return in just one year … the best one yet , time to LOVE THE FARM LEAVE NO TRACE

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I could consider doing something like this.  The schlep back to Edinburgh on the Monday afternoon is my least favourite thing about the whole experience.

Honestly it makes a huge difference. Pack your stuff up and leave it in the lockups, then you can still see the headliner and hang about for some more drinks, and get the 2am bus. There might even be one at 3am as well. Worth it to sidestep that hungover Monday morning scrum for buses/trains off the site. 

33 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'd most likely be on the bus to Temple Meads by now, as I always get up early on the Monday to beat the rush. Looking forward to having a breakfast at the spoons there and a proper wash of the hands with hot water. 

Do you then get the train or coach?

Maybe @jparx had the right idea. Getting up early and taking the tent down is awful. 

One year we didn't get the coach back to Sheffield until 10.30ish. That was actually ok. Got some breakfast, packed up in the sun and then slept back to Sheffield. Glasgow is an entirely different ballgame though. 

So next year, I was thinking about staying overnight at a hotel in Bristol, and travelling back on Tuesday. That doesn't make actually getting off site any easier though... 

I stay local on the Monday night, but can usually get a free room in a hostel somewhere nearby thanks to my job. Just means I don't have to worry about when I leave so we can say leisurely goodbyes. But it's getting the balance right of hanging around leaving it too late and getting out of the car park is a nightmare. The drive back to Cumbria on my own after a week on site fills me with horror. One year I tried to split the journey a bit more so stayed in Ironbridge. That was a mistake never to be repeated. So tired. Took me as long to get there as it would normally take to drive to Cumbria and when I did I passed out on the bed and slept for about 14 hours. I absolutely should not have been driving.

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Maybe @jparx had the right idea. Getting up early and taking the tent down is awful. 

One year we didn't get the coach back to Sheffield until 10.30ish. That was actually ok. Got some breakfast, packed up in the sun and then slept back to Sheffield. Glasgow is an entirely different ballgame though. 

So next year, I was thinking about staying overnight at a hotel in Bristol, and travelling back on Tuesday. That doesn't make actually getting off site any easier though... 

It depends what you normally do on the Sunday, but for me I tend to not go quite as heavy as I really struggle to travel if I’m super hungover. Not to give too much info but I have a very sensitive stomach, so I try and avoid feeling too rough when I’m travelling. For me, getting that bus in the early hours and staying in Bristol is a total life saver. Skip the queues to get out the festival, sleep in a real bed and wake up to a cooked breakfast before getting the train. Last time we did that, we were home in Leicestershire at about 2pm.

The alternative for me is really taking my time on Monday, trying to sleep in as much as possible and shooting off after the bulk of the crowds, but if you’re travelling far to get home that’s a bit of a pain.

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I get the train back to Glasgow from Temple Meads. 

Every year the same routine haha Up early to get the shuttle bus from site to Temple Meads, then straight to spoons for some food and to hang about cause I usually have my train ticket booked for about 12:30ish

I've travelled to Glastonbury a different way each time I've gone but always the same plan for the way back. 

Packing up, loading the caravan, hitching up and then joining the queue.  Hopefully being allowed to turn left to the M5 but usually diverted right for a big detour.  Eventually get to the M5 and a services stop.  The place will be rammed with Glasto goers enjoying a wash and the first flush toilet in a week.

32 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I get the train back to Glasgow from Temple Meads. 

Every year the same routine haha Up early to get the shuttle bus from site to Temple Meads, then straight to spoons for some food and to hang about cause I usually have my train ticket booked for about 12:30ish

I've travelled to Glastonbury a different way each time I've gone but always the same plan for the way back. 

Same.  I even have a few pints and couple of Jamesons in the spoons to just push the festival envelope that little bit further.

Did you change for Glasgow at New Street in 2016?  I am pretty sure we had a bit of a chat but it may have been 2019?  who knows.  It all starts to merge into one huge mass of festival memories.

44 minutes ago, jparx said:

It depends what you normally do on the Sunday, but for me I tend to not go quite as heavy as I really struggle to travel if I’m super hungover. Not to give too much info but I have a very sensitive stomach, so I try and avoid feeling too rough when I’m travelling. For me, getting that bus in the early hours and staying in Bristol is a total life saver. Skip the queues to get out the festival, sleep in a real bed and wake up to a cooked breakfast before getting the train. Last time we did that, we were home in Leicestershire at about 2pm.

The alternative for me is really taking my time on Monday, trying to sleep in as much as possible and shooting off after the bulk of the crowds, but if you’re travelling far to get home that’s a bit of a pain.

Haha this sounds very much like me!!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Same.  I even have a few pints and couple of Jamesons in the spoons to just push the festival envelope that little bit further.

Did you change for Glasgow at New Street in 2016?  I am pretty sure we had a bit of a chat but it may have been 2019?  who knows.  It all starts to merge into one huge mass of festival memories.

I can't recall back to 2016 but I defo had a chat with someone at New Street in 2019. I'm pretty sure the person I spoke to was maybe volunteering with Wateraid or another organisation if that was you?

Edit: Having just looked at a couple of your past posts I ca see you were indeed working with Wateraid! What a small world! I can honestly say that our conversation did change my mind about volunteering and it's defo something I will be considering seeing as I don't have tickets for next year 🙂

Edited by Tartan_Glasto

4 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I can't recall back to 2016 but I defo had a chat with someone at New Street in 2019. I'm pretty sure the person I spoke to was maybe volunteering with Wateraid or another organisation if that was you?

it was me...  Hiya 🙂

Some comedown that was after 2019.  Not helped by staying up all night Sunday and getting back to tent still pissed to pack and take tent down and trudge off to the shuttle bus sans shut eye.

Slept for 16 hours Monday - Tuesday which is a fair reward for clocking 150 miles on the Garmin.  A marathon a day.  Sheeeeet

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I spoke to some people from Newcastle at the 2019 festival when I was working on the bar....they said most of their crowd (there was about 10-15 of them) fly from Newcastle to Bristol then get the coach to the site in with just hand luggage whilst two others come down in a hire van with everyone's kit, booze etc,  when the people who fly get in they just head out to the car parks already wrist banded so even get to skip the queues going back in.

Same people then fly home on the Monday...each year the two who drive it gets rotated so everyone gets a chance to fly.

3 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

it was me...  Hiya 🙂

Some comedown that was after 2019.  Not helped by staying up all night Sunday and getting back to tent still pissed to pack and take tent down and trudge off to the shuttle bus sans shut eye.

Slept for 16 hours Monday - Tuesday which is a fair reward for clocking 150 miles on the Garmin.  A marathon a day.  Sheeeeet

Well done for recognising me and thank you for stopping to chat 🙂 You were lovely to speak to and you defo changed my mind with regards to volunteering. I will for sure be putting my name into the hat if I remain unlucky with getting tickets. 

I had a brief sleep on the train home but foolishly booked midnight tickets to see Spider-Man at the cinema. Seemed like a fun idea at the time, in reality we slept through most of it!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm a convert to the "get the coach at 3am" crew.

Especially now I've worked out you can pretty much blag your way onto a See coach back to the O2, which is a ten minute Uber home for me.

I've in recent years converted my mates to the 'get up at 6am and straight to the car' - even easier for them given I'm usually the one driving.

Few years ago I went in hard on the Sunday night (a little by accident) and had to hang around until nearly noon until I felt I could drive safely...then got slammed in loads of traffic and made the whole thing a lot worse than it needed to be.

My new tactic is now watch the headliners with no drinking after about 9-10pm....straight to bed after that then get up and straight out with no queues. Usually home and in bed with a Dominos on order by 11am.

OK its a bit frustrating losing the Sunday night, but now I'm nearly 40 I'm usually that tired by that point I don't really mind anymore.

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I never tend to drink much on the Sunday purely case the thought of having to pack up and head home while hungover fills me with dread. 

I usually pack most of my stuff on the Sunday just leaving me with the essentials still out in my tent. Helps a little bit when it comes to putting everything away on the Monday morning that the bulk of it is already done!

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've in recent years converted my mates to the 'get up at 6am and straight to the car' - even easier for them given I'm usually the one driving.

Few years ago I went in hard on the Sunday night (a little by accident) and had to hang around until nearly noon until I felt I could drive safely...then got slammed in loads of traffic and made the whole thing a lot worse than it needed to be.

My new tactic is now watch the headliners with no drinking after about 9-10pm....straight to bed after that then get up and straight out with no queues. Usually home and in bed with a Dominos on order by 11am.

OK its a bit frustrating losing the Sunday night, but now I'm nearly 40 I'm usually that tired by that point I don't really mind anymore.

Yeah if I'm driving it's always straight back to the tent after the headliners for a bit of sleep then get off site 6/7 am.

Can't handle spending most of Monday sat on the A303.