On this day…

Tartan_Glasto

Thursday 2003 - this was when you could still use the hill of death for public campers - it's staff only now pretty much and not this far down.

I think this was the last time I took my VW van too, I took it off the road to do some welding after the festival, and you know how things go, don't want to rush these things, anyway 18 years later it's under a cover in my back garden, it'll be ready 'next year'

image.png.1cc2abbb624d1809006b241af5fd8285.png

1 hour ago, Quark said:

They did show the Eng game in 2010, can't remember which day it was.  In a slightly off-site field. Biggest mistake I ever made there was wasting an afternoon to go along with my group and join them, just ended up in a field full of angry angry people. Took the mood right down. I ducked out at half time and bimbled off to watch a gospel choir.

Doubly gutted as I missed Ade Edmonson and The Bad Shepherds, who subsequently called time on the band. Ah well.

It was Sunday afternoon, Ray Davies and Slash in the glorious sunshine, Faiithless were the warm up for Stevie Wonder that evening as the sun set. I remember my mate appearing from his sweltering tent, plastered in sun cream (fair skinned) and with bright red lips as he'd been trying to finish his boxed red wine rather than ditch it, being the final day. He looked like a scene from the joker - 'why so serious' was all he got that afternoon; happy and good times 😎

19 minutes ago, TheSheriff said:

Slash and Ray Davies both had criminally small crowds that day, which was great to wander down to the front and back to our group who have always set up a little bit further back. I remember there were a load of disgruntled fans early evening but the time Faithless smashed it the smiles were more or less back

Being Scottish I wasn't that bothered about the football (though even it had been Scotland playing I wouldn't have gone to watch it) and agree crowds for Slash and Ray Davies were small. Which is a shame as Ray was superb. 

I did notice afterwards a lot of grumpy looking folk and the atmosphere definitely felt different for a while. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Thursday 2019 @ The Glade 

CDBF086F-BDF1-4F77-962B-404F4D4191CB.jpeg

Lush photo!!! 

In the aftermath of the super hot 2019 Saturday when I'd been forced to spend about three hours hiding in the acoustic tent from the sun, I did wonder how I forgot about The Glade. Would have been a lush place to find refuge. Although maybe it was rammed ....

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

On this day in 2016. I don’t think I’ll ever forget waking up at Glastonbury that day and reading the referendum result. 

6189EA6C-1290-4CA6-92B4-BD9D7383FF7E.jpeg

For some reason I had it in my head that the result wouldn't be known until the afternoon.  So was sitting having my breakfast up in the recycling crew tent before my shift and overhead peoole talking about the result so was surprised to say the least at both the result and the fact that I'd got it wrong as to when we'd find out. 

I phoned my wife on the way back to my tent in total shock. 

4 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

though I am someone who tends to head for my tent after the headline act. So I'm not exactly the most hardcore attendee! 

That's probably the most efficient way to see Glastonbury - as long as you don't sleep in. I say that without any experience, mind. The earliest that I ever went to bed during a Glastonbury was 1am. I simply couldn't go on any longer any of the nights. Mind you, I had had major surgery only 3 or 4 weeks earlier, so guess that played a part!

2 hours ago, Quark said:

They did show the Eng game in 2010, can't remember which day it was.  In a slightly off-site field. Biggest mistake I ever made there was wasting an afternoon to go along with my group and join them, just ended up in a field full of angry angry people. Took the mood right down. I ducked out at half time and bimbled off to watch a gospel choir.

Doubly gutted as I missed Ade Edmonson and The Bad Shepherds, who subsequently called time on the band. Ah well.

Since I’ve been going 

England v Portugal was shown in the Pyramid field in 2004 on the Thursday night. 

England v Slovenia was shown in the Pyramid field in 2010 on the Wednesday afternoon.

England v Germany was shown in makeshift side fields in 2010 on the Sunday afternoon. 

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Since I’ve been going 

England v Portugal was shown in the Pyramid field in 2004 on the Thursday night. 

England v Slovenia was shown in the Pyramid field in 2010 on the Wednesday afternoon.

England v Germany was shown in makeshift side fields in 2010 on the Sunday afternoon. 

I have vague memories of a match being shown in the cinema field, possibly in 1998, while the Foo Fighters were on?

I remember being annoyed as the whole field got trampled into mud as I used to hang out there till the early hours watching random films after the main stages had closed 🙂

11 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Since I’ve been going 

Also showed the Lionnesses in West Holts last time.

The bar at Williams Green has had screens showing football and Wimbledon in the past too.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The bar at Williams Green has had screens showing football and Wimbledon in the past too.

When it was the Queen's Head they showed the Lions vs South Africa in 2009 as well.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeh I was just referring to the really big games.

me and a couple of mates watched extra time and pens of Brazil v Chile in the 2014 World Cup at Williams Green with a load of Chileans...was a great hour or so getting quite into it! 

18 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I have vague memories of a match being shown in the cinema field, possibly in 1998, while the Foo Fighters were on?

I remember being annoyed as the whole field got trampled into mud as I used to hang out there till the early hours watching random films after the main stages had closed 🙂

England v Columbia in the 1998 World Cup (won 2-0) 

34 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's probably the most efficient way to see Glastonbury - as long as you don't sleep in. I say that without any experience, mind. The earliest that I ever went to bed during a Glastonbury was 1am. I simply couldn't go on any longer any of the nights. Mind you, I had had major surgery only 3 or 4 weeks earlier, so guess that played a part!

First night of 2015 I left the class-As alone and just got really, really stoned and due to that once the Stone Circle fireworks were done I was ready for bed. Must have been asleep by midnight then the flip side was I woke up and ready for the day by 7am...got up and walked around the entire site on my own...got some breakfast and sat down in the middle of an empty Pyramid field and took it all in.

Strolled back to our camp near the Park and got there with a round of coffees and teas for my mates who were just waking up. ☺️

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, dondo said:

Being Scottish I wasn't that bothered about the football (though even it had been Scotland playing I wouldn't have gone to watch it) and agree crowds for Slash and Ray Davies were small. Which is a shame as Ray was superb. 

I did notice afterwards a lot of grumpy looking folk and the atmosphere definitely felt different for a while. 

I’m Welsh so wasn’t interested myself in the football 😂

Edited by TheSheriff
Typo

1 hour ago, Steveb72 said:

Love reading everyone’s memories on this thread, must say this thread and all the others are far nicer places to be than the one with all the trolls on.  Hopefully they all do one soon.

I'm just going to post photos from the 20 glastonburys I've been to, roughly on the day I took them 🙂 Tomorrow will be friday pics 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

First night of 2015 I left the class-As alone and just got really, really stoned and due to that once the Stone Circle fireworks were done I was ready for bed. Must have been asleep by midnight then the flip side was I woke up and ready for the day by 7am...got up and walked around the entire site on my own...got some breakfast and sat down in the middle of an empty Pyramid field and took it all in.

Strolled back to our camp near the Park and got there with a round of coffees and teas for my mates who were just waking up. ☺️

Hello gooner1990,

Thanks for the example of what I was saying. it's just so terribly difficult to achieve for some though. If I were to re-attend the festival I'd like to achieve it, even if it were for only half a day. I've definitely never stayed long enough in the green fields areas, and would need to amend that mistake.

All the best. 🙂