On this day…

Tartan_Glasto

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

21/06/17 -  I woke up this morning fully packed but completely ticketless.  I hadn't been able to get into any volunteering gigs, no secret sales and the very obvious scam workers ticket I paid £40 turned out to be a very obvious scam.  But yet, I still had hope.

At 11am I got a phone call off one of the volunteering organisations I had signed up for, they had some drop outs so would I be willing to pay my deposit and make my way down to the site? Abso-bloody-lutely.  

A quick phone call to explain to Mrs Kinky that I won't be home when she gets back from work and a nauseatingly expensive train ticket later, I was finally on my way to Glastonbury '17.

It was the most stressful build up I've had. Aside from an unshakeable belief that I'd find a way there, at no point did it look like I was going to Glastonbury so by all account, I was quite unbearable to be around.

All worth it though, it was probably the best Glastonbury I've had, maybe even because of the madness I had to go through to get there!

Yeah, I guess it's like that thing where stupid spontaneous nights out are always better than ones that have been planned properly and you spend loads of money on. Best gig I've been to for years was when I was drunk in London with my mate on a Sunday evening and we found out Madness were playing the Roundhouse. So we tubed it up and grabbed a ticket out front.

17 was my first "solo" Glastonbury (usual crew didn't go but had a few mates knocking about and had been invited to camp with 2Hats, HMV, Benny & crew despite never having met in person).

In and set up my tent, currently bimbling around before going to see my first ever Mik Artistik set on the CN Bandstand before girding my loins and shuffling into the R&F to meet some efesters in person for the first time.

Fast forward a few hours and I was fairly well oiled 😄

21 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

On this day 25 years ago I was getting married to Mrs dingbat!

.. and yes it always been a bit awkward each year when Glastonbury falls on our anniversary

... we also beat Spain on the same day in Euro 96

Congratulations on your special anniversary today. Have a great day Xxx

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

21/06/17 -  I woke up this morning fully packed but completely ticketless.  I hadn't been able to get into any volunteering gigs, no secret sales and the very obvious scam workers ticket I paid £40 turned out to be a very obvious scam.  But yet, I still had hope.

At 11am I got a phone call off one of the volunteering organisations I had signed up for, they had some drop outs so would I be willing to pay my deposit and make my way down to the site? Abso-bloody-lutely.  

A quick phone call to explain to Mrs Kinky that I won't be home when she gets back from work and a nauseatingly expensive train ticket later, I was finally on my way to Glastonbury '17.

It was the most stressful build up I've had. Aside from an unshakeable belief that I'd find a way there, at no point did it look like I was going to Glastonbury so by all account, I was quite unbearable to be around.

All worth it though, it was probably the best Glastonbury I've had, maybe even because of the madness I had to go through to get there!

What a fantastic story. 

If it were on this year, today I'd be at work but obsessively scrolling eFests in secret.

Edited by blutarsky

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

On this day 2016 we had just arrived at our home for the next five days…

3F2EE187-AC4D-40B3-A4C8-A90EE2738C9B.jpeg

did you get extremely high, and I mean @Yoghurt on a Stick high and believe/pretend you were characters from a kids book/TV show. or even dress up as characters.

I think I would have

Believe I know the chap who supplies those, unless there are more companies doing them. They have been in the T&C back stage camping for many a year

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

On this day in...

2019 - Great spot on the main path E20

CwA5P-za_CWTTwbN2qkULABvIojHjXZJ7N2jnhsi0ROqSOkcZjXwfB6497lsfzrzhp7UjsCwJtaVJRh8HtpOswfkmfLV1kaZSI5p5t-V6dN5Vd1GKQ5CdhPAtSpjC8FY9An4Y70BlJ7KNVJV90j2K6XoPKGv8YE_f-zIdck6jxdaGf1ALsNDzfPKsNQQ4ncJoL7MZqgOSmbyeytxx9M0YMjtN65EPqP8zKBhVoOaD2uID8FhLxkCsZKJ1pIVr6RK3Bsrm72jz_gtcfROu3We5oQ5KU_Etb-Fl71C4v82KF7cTDfHWNOBBVtEcXYUGj-Dbq4PLNVx7r5dZn6ZYqxvqwv-Plfs-u_c1gdck6GfNfwco1iwjybos9y0pcq3l4Kpgnw4RNYUX_o4tmcCYDGhXX11Szzsuje6aE01Ero3H5AG7t5-PyXdTCz42IhPc2ksLQ0Zya49TlA8FLwBlKO7zyHerSu_xtPTWaNyOeQ6L56xdX9GUgtL7xTulMBoJkXupBDCY7H9spIgHCI-E5K3kYSasu8zTezxkPFd1aaD76gG_Yoqee3GxIvvFBzS-VdiMqtII6NYwMPVaX-Lo7-wSKjYa6AAHLoNx7Q5_AbhS1GjQ0yI-hfimDcFFQY5KTZfkix9VIeJhYf80-y5YwErg_ee5mIuBdeidD4tw5dAnSVK8abLWrUmFZAS8ANfGDi85VAj-riXO8O5JfJQ8t9qD6g=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

2017 - The anticipation / excitement of what's to come whilst watching the sunset on the hill overlooking the site every year on the Tuesday evening is beautiful.

8sRxyCXYnYMjSqX_w0o-M1KRT0_lFFYfWrxKfF7_w5ZW3A4nNVdsmlTuwm_m-l8DKTgO2su34phuACJYwbfrBOT6uAIy1IRKfbT8HBq5zwIn7f0arW3SuHSRiEzHphG7LULtWzxw05W4iQfsg8wsEOMaL_ur-74FGYBUuj3d-VPbwKpgOEk7UCTl_ntgbGwiadUiy9A-HMBve0_rlW2bMkZzTmj1if-fvOrEyUW8y0_a4iO_cxTqFo8HHPrGdo1BQfb9Xd1FbRhHuvzWtpG7K2fatEAoLRHNiGYpFtwrf7iJT2yPftLQfIqzf_LitpmHKUnTL7LliQ1XUfMuRS97uwcNE8gVKQThawVMITvpJKEt95Wp9sDSqNPx8vueAMeZvqZEXev0q-96pMKNHxDpvm-yFNzyeWpMWApjPWAHyNAZKIiISd78ZUuQ7HW_X8Y9Er1KtnlE5EQ6clPpSTFhKaotIwS-0_HtDXo0qwjEnrQZvwrdBABL0cJCHx1VewJpvUKu3FYxKdycZGiwgHKXFlaOp2QJx3fx84NwP9l5PHE-HmZ1o5NuZLQXSsFOZGkaBLDMUj_cMIAnw6NeA-rseSnc0zCk9Q4KP8ER9xaj58rUiubYdsVIaxT_0MkMSfjFR22B_af0w9W7ZpKqsaM8R1JlId5lmC_-0BMRCj5eY6WS9YQB483FBnFWyk14cvCDOsGyce8xLAqu6j1bKhTINoU=w1920-h668-no?authuser=0

You are standing right next to us in that bottom picture 🙂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

On this day 25 years ago I was getting married to Mrs dingbat!

.. and yes it always been a bit awkward each year when Glastonbury falls on our anniversary

... we also beat Spain on the same day in Euro 96

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary. Hope you are both having a fab day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

On this day in...

2019 - Great spot on the main path E20

CwA5P-za_CWTTwbN2qkULABvIojHjXZJ7N2jnhsi0ROqSOkcZjXwfB6497lsfzrzhp7UjsCwJtaVJRh8HtpOswfkmfLV1kaZSI5p5t-V6dN5Vd1GKQ5CdhPAtSpjC8FY9An4Y70BlJ7KNVJV90j2K6XoPKGv8YE_f-zIdck6jxdaGf1ALsNDzfPKsNQQ4ncJoL7MZqgOSmbyeytxx9M0YMjtN65EPqP8zKBhVoOaD2uID8FhLxkCsZKJ1pIVr6RK3Bsrm72jz_gtcfROu3We5oQ5KU_Etb-Fl71C4v82KF7cTDfHWNOBBVtEcXYUGj-Dbq4PLNVx7r5dZn6ZYqxvqwv-Plfs-u_c1gdck6GfNfwco1iwjybos9y0pcq3l4Kpgnw4RNYUX_o4tmcCYDGhXX11Szzsuje6aE01Ero3H5AG7t5-PyXdTCz42IhPc2ksLQ0Zya49TlA8FLwBlKO7zyHerSu_xtPTWaNyOeQ6L56xdX9GUgtL7xTulMBoJkXupBDCY7H9spIgHCI-E5K3kYSasu8zTezxkPFd1aaD76gG_Yoqee3GxIvvFBzS-VdiMqtII6NYwMPVaX-Lo7-wSKjYa6AAHLoNx7Q5_AbhS1GjQ0yI-hfimDcFFQY5KTZfkix9VIeJhYf80-y5YwErg_ee5mIuBdeidD4tw5dAnSVK8abLWrUmFZAS8ANfGDi85VAj-riXO8O5JfJQ8t9qD6g=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

2017 - The anticipation / excitement of what's to come whilst watching the sunset on the hill overlooking the site every year on the Tuesday evening is beautiful.

8sRxyCXYnYMjSqX_w0o-M1KRT0_lFFYfWrxKfF7_w5ZW3A4nNVdsmlTuwm_m-l8DKTgO2su34phuACJYwbfrBOT6uAIy1IRKfbT8HBq5zwIn7f0arW3SuHSRiEzHphG7LULtWzxw05W4iQfsg8wsEOMaL_ur-74FGYBUuj3d-VPbwKpgOEk7UCTl_ntgbGwiadUiy9A-HMBve0_rlW2bMkZzTmj1if-fvOrEyUW8y0_a4iO_cxTqFo8HHPrGdo1BQfb9Xd1FbRhHuvzWtpG7K2fatEAoLRHNiGYpFtwrf7iJT2yPftLQfIqzf_LitpmHKUnTL7LliQ1XUfMuRS97uwcNE8gVKQThawVMITvpJKEt95Wp9sDSqNPx8vueAMeZvqZEXev0q-96pMKNHxDpvm-yFNzyeWpMWApjPWAHyNAZKIiISd78ZUuQ7HW_X8Y9Er1KtnlE5EQ6clPpSTFhKaotIwS-0_HtDXo0qwjEnrQZvwrdBABL0cJCHx1VewJpvUKu3FYxKdycZGiwgHKXFlaOp2QJx3fx84NwP9l5PHE-HmZ1o5NuZLQXSsFOZGkaBLDMUj_cMIAnw6NeA-rseSnc0zCk9Q4KP8ER9xaj58rUiubYdsVIaxT_0MkMSfjFR22B_af0w9W7ZpKqsaM8R1JlId5lmC_-0BMRCj5eY6WS9YQB483FBnFWyk14cvCDOsGyce8xLAqu6j1bKhTINoU=w1920-h668-no?authuser=0

I can't see those photos, as there's like a stop road sign on my computer. I suspect it's because se I'm at my mom's house and that my brother has installed the internet system with a child protection type device against some photos. If anybody knows if this is the case, please let me know, as I'd like to see those photos.

On this day in 2019 (I.e. the Tuesday, not necessarily the 22nd 🙂 ) I was just setting up my caravan spot 🙂

image.thumb.png.32fd0811079fab35871317276b788118.png

I thought that getting there early would mean I was nearer the gate, but oh no, I was in the very corner of E17, like in the -very- corner, almost under the tree:

image.thumb.png.30eca4e99c8b854459b6dd50fd972bef.png

It was nice and quiet though 😄

image.thumb.png.f3e9a73e9cdf7d42614b9e112e5ade35.png

met up with some friends at the top of the hill, they were working, and potentially could have smuggled me in for the tuesday night, but I didn't want to risk getting barred from the site 😄 so chickened out 😄

image.thumb.png.108797be4039bf848856a9af4ba15939.png

Edited by paulshane

Sigh. On this day in 2017 things got decidedly messier.  After the main meet on the Wed it was time for the splinter group NRF NFC meet.  Sitting at Dusty's mighty table getting gloriously drunk with @stuartbert two hats @Seldom Seen Kid @fatyeti24 @H.M.V and @mr gumby and a collection of Welsh rugby lads.  Limes being slung across the table, vodka jelly shots and Gumby's homemade mead. Good lord but that was a wonderful wonderful afternoon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do it yog 🙂 resale team would love to have u aboard 🙂 

That's awfully decent of you crazyfoool. However, I'll not commit myself now, as I really have only just 'got' that Glastonbury feeling again, and don't know how long it'll last. It's odd that a single thread can do that to you every now and again.

As an aside, even if I didn't decide to go, please know that my F5 pressing skills would be at your service, come the day.  🙂

Oh, you'd need to explain everything to me closer to the time.

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sigh. On this day in 2017 things got decidedly messier.  After the main meet on the Wed it was time for the splinter group NRF NFC meet.  Sitting at Dusty's mighty table getting gloriously drunk with @stuartbert two hats @Seldom Seen Kid @fatyeti24 @H.M.V and @mr gumby and a collection of Welsh rugby lads.  Limes being slung across the table, vodka jelly shots and Gumby's homemade mead. Good lord but that was a wonderful wonderful afternoon.

It was absolutely fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's awfully decent of you crazyfoool. However, I'll not commit myself now, as I really have only just 'got' that Glastonbury feeling again, and don't know how long it'll last. It's odd that a single thread can do that to you every now and again.

As an aside, even if I didn't decide to go, please know that my F5 pressing skills would be at your service, come the day.  🙂

Oh, you'd need to explain everything to me closer to the time.

Yeah it’s weird times lots of emotions flying about this time of year … and I know you’d made a decision that Your Glastonbury time had ended … it has an incredible pull on us … that many are unable to quite break … plenty of time to decide anyway as it’s doubtful we will have any sales before April anyway 🙂 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

That mead. That glorious mead. A superb day that one. 

Being a lucky caravanner we are allowed to arrive a day earlier than campers so Monday is a pitch up and settle in and meet up with old friends (usually in East 17).  First meal cooked at the festival and and evening of catching up.

Great moment is a stroll to the top of the Hill of Death to look out over the site and realise that we're home.  The view at night with all the site lights is amazing.

Tuesday morning a leisurely breakfast and then a wander down to get wrist banded and watch the campers struggling in with their tents with an imaginative range of trucks, trollies and prams.

After collecting our programmes it's a wander back to the van to sit and chill and start planning our days and then a gentle bimble around the site.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was, I often think about our adventure looking for Gumby and drinking his mead.

I remain convinced that you didn't search that hard 😄

It's hard to explain sometimes that times like that can be just as good as, if not better than, the stuff going on at the stages or that you see on telly. Outrageously good fun just knocking about, meeting new people and soaking up the atmosphere (and alcohol).