Football 2021/2022

jyoung

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

So Mane is off to Bayern and it looks like Salah is saying if we don't give him what he wants then he will leave for free next year to another Prem team. Big changes coming up at Liverpool. Diaz has been a great signing, lets hope we can sign similar quality as Salah's replacement.

I could understand Salah leaving. What else is left to achieve at Liverpool? Maximize the contract by leaving as free agent and try to do it at another top club/league.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

The first year was reasonably solid, but it must be said he's played better more often for France than Man Utd, and has seemingly spent the last 3 years trying to leave.

Losing him on a free in 2012 was a mistake but the attempt to correct that by making him a huge luxury signing than not really knowing what to do to make him the cornerstone player they were hoping for on enough occasions there hasn't worked huh

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I could understand Salah leaving. What else is left to achieve at Liverpool? Maximize the contract by leaving as free agent and try to do it at another top club/league.

Salah joining another PL club would feel weird.

Though would be on brand for Chelsea to sign him only to struggle to know what to do with him, given that's what they've been doing with Lukaku.

Difficult to say what Chelsea's new model will be. Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/Utd now all owned by similar American owners with a number of sports franchises. I've noticed Everton linked too and you have to wonder if there is a critical number of owners where they may push for a closed shop as per American sports and the attempted the super league.

Great game in Scotland tonight, was good viewing for the neutral. Scotland were doing well until that first Ukraine goal, that really took the wind out of their sails. That McGinn miss was unreal, but on the balance of the game Ukraine going through is probably fair.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Will be a tough game but we have the players to do it. 

I went when Wales had their play off loss to Russia, that was a long trip back to Wrexham! Wales are very lucky that the semi and final were separated as I'm not convinced Bale and Ramsey could have done 2 games in a week. In theory I think Wales should win, but there is the thought that Wales always mess up in the world cup and also the world needs the Hollywood ending of Ukraine getting through!

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I went when Wales had their play off loss to Russia, that was a long trip back to Wrexham! Wales are very lucky that the semi and final were separated as I'm not convinced Bale and Ramsey could have done 2 games in a week. In theory I think Wales should win, but there is the thought that Wales always mess up in the world cup and also the world needs the Hollywood ending of Ukraine getting through!

That Russia game feels like an absolute lifetime ago!

I agree, Bale even went off limping didn't he. Think he pulled his groin. I think having Moore back could be big for us too, he holds the ball up very well. The pace we have in our team will also help massively. Haven't looked but I suspect we might be slight favourites with the bookies but it'll be very close.

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Scotland blew that game with a really poor first half performance. Now Wales turn to have the world against them on Sunday!

Yeah we were rotten. Outplayed and a good day out ruined by the football. Ukraine very comfortable on the ball and deserved winners.

If Wales can keep the ball better than we did then they can win. Good luck 👍

As an aside, the boy who runs in to the crowd after scoring was already on a yellow.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:57 PM, TheGayTent said:

If we’d made the right two transfers in January I’m convinced we’d now be qualified for the champions league. 

Instead we didn’t make any signings…coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

Anyway, that’s just my opinion - and as we know opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one. 

It's funny how west hams form dropped after they couldn't take the cat to training 

41 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Good luck to Wales today. Their keeper has definitely got a mistake in him. Massive prize at stake. 2-1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 

I think our big lump (Moore) is better than your big lump so hopefully can put some pressure on the keeper.

As with always for Wales will depend if Bale and Ramsey show up. If we play to our best we can win. However don't know if you can underestimate a country fighting for their nation at war and Wales ability to mess up when it comes to the world cup!

48 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Good luck to Wales today. Their keeper has definitely got a mistake in him. Massive prize at stake. 2-1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 

the cheek of it. a scot criticising another nation's goalies.

there's only two andy gorams 😛 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

the cheek of it. a scot criticising another nation's goalies.

there's only two andy gorams 😛 

😂 He was one of our better ones. As an aside, Goram in a really bad way with not long to go (appreciate you wouldn’t have known that). Was also an excellent cricketer.

If Wales can get decent balls in to the box the boy will struggle.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

😂 He was one of our better ones. As an aside, Goram in a really bad way with not long to go (appreciate you wouldn’t have known that). Was also an excellent cricketer.

If Wales can get decent balls in to the box the boy will struggle.

In my head Andy Goram and Craig Gordon have played every game for Scotland in my lifetime!

On 6/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, charlierc said:

Least England v Wales is due to be at a more TV friendly time in this competition, given the Euro 2016 meeting was on a Thursday lunchtime so it got a fraction of the audience it otherwise would've done.

That game provided one of my favourite memories (Bale goal) and least favourite (Has Sturridge scored since?)

52 minutes ago, thetime said:

If giggs is found not guilty, do you think he will come back in as manager? 

No chance. Page got them there and will manage them there. Due to his lack of commitment as a player I don't think the fans would go into battle for Giggs regardless of the verdict. If Page was removed there would be uproar.

If Giggs is found guilty they will sack him, if not guilty pay him off. His contract only runs to the end of the world cup anyway.