Football 2021/2022

jyoung

16 minutes ago, lost said:

Unless your talking about serving up prawn cocktails in the business lounge, surely that would limit your choice of manager going forward. Any manager would have to be insane to work under him?

In less than 6 months at Everton he's fallen out with and had removed. The director of football, The head of recruitment, The head of the medical team, James Rodriguez and Luca Digne. There are also strong rumours that something similar was happening with Allan and Doucoure was forced to make a public statement correcting his comments on playing in a 2 vs 3 man midfield.

Any manager would feel less stressed and more stable working for Watford surely? 

Could look at it both ways, Everton seem to have gone through 3 managers in 3 years under the new owner. Players to blame? Ownership to blame?

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Are Everton trying to get relegated?

It has crossed my mind if the owners have decided to cut their losses. Due to the ex-labour major who went on corruption charges its difficult to tell who is responsible for most of the debt:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-council-loan-everton-millions-14136195

Hopefully the city did their due diligence on the deal he negotiated.

Everton seem to have gone through 3 managers in 3 years under the new owner. Players to blame? Ownership to blame?

Ownership this time, Real Madrid being a bigger pull really on the last one.

Edited by lost

5 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

So where do the players register then? The club have spent a hell of a lot of money to come 8th, 12th, 10th and then struggle this season.

Very difficult to tell as it seems alot of the signings are made by the chairman and the director of football was bypassed. Iwobi was a morishi special apparently and even this deal for the Villa winger apparently Rafa said no 3 times but the chairman was adamant the deal went through with a very specific payment going to the players agent.

Aside from finding out who is responsible for alot of the clubs debt if they went down it would also be interesting to see what happens if Putin invades Ukraine and we get a fresh set of sanctions on his business associates.

Edited by lost

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Rafa to the toon in an upstairs role? He's in with the owners.

I'm not sure. I know that Staveley was keen to keep him around when she first tried to take over the joint 5 years ago and had other links around the time of the original takeover attempt during lockdown one.

Benítez's lot seems to have gone downward since leaving the Toon. It didn't go well at all in China and this Everton spell really went wrong very quickly. Injuries in October didn't help but even as the injured came back they never seemed to get out of their tailspin and by that point it looked like he'd just fallen out with everyone.

Something is wrong with Everton in general anyway, and I know they were kinda bounced into the move after Real Madrid's surprise choice to bring back Ancelotti, but Benitez at Goodison felt like a move that could only have justified itself with an incredible run of form or else everything would just go wrong very fast. And so it has.

2 hours ago, lost said:

it would also be interesting to see what happens if Putin invades Ukraine and we get a fresh set of sanctions on his business associates.

I must've missed the link between Putin and Everton. Even in an age where football's links with murky geopolitical strangeness is getting even more strange, this may have passed me by.

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I must've missed the link between Putin and Everton. Even in an age where football's links with murky geopolitical strangeness is getting even more strange, this may have passed me by.

When Putin arrested and jailed leader of the opposition Navalny apparently he handed over a list of key names for the Magnitsky Act that would damage the Putin regime the most. Aasminov and Abramovich were on the list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39588507

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41878954

Edited by lost

16 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Are Everton trying to get relegated?

FEF23207-8FF0-41CA-94CA-331018C9B4B7.thumb.jpeg.8813a8213074c0b5b329efbdb6b943c7.jpeg

The Martinez rumours worry me more! 

I wanted to get behind Rafa but the results are clearly not coming and we need points fast - if we go into the fixtures from March onwards in this position we're gone.

Edited by efcfanwirral

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The Martinez rumours worry me more! 

Martinez would surely support the theory the Russki's have given up and Kenwright has control of the train set again.

It was pretty impressive last time getting in a relegation scrap with a forward line of Lukaku and Etoo though maybe Henry can organise a Défense? 😁

The biggest issue for me though would be we simply don't have the players for his style. We've gone from industrious midfielders supporting a playmaker (James) to sit deep, give up possession then try and break with pacey wingers to now what would really be tiki taka again under Martinez. We'd of been better back in August going for Potter, letting Brands get Dumfries and then Dinge/Dumfries playing the roles Lamptey/Cucurella do in his formation. Guess that's water under the bridge now as he wouldn't touch us with a barge poll. Mistake after mistake after mistake.

To rub salt into the wounds regarding Digne just watch Thierry Small turn into a world class left back.

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Burnley requesting another postponement. At this rate they will be playing 7 days a week at the end of the season. 

It’s almost like they don’t want to even play football. Not that you can call their style of play actual football 

It’s pretty mad- they’ll be 6 games behind some teams if it gets called off.  

They had the sense to get knocked out of the FA Cup at least, so should be able to catch them up.

The rules need to be tightened up though- Arsenal got a postponement this weekend having one case of Covid. Obviously not their fault for asking, but the rule isn’t fit for purpose.

41 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

The rules need to be tightened up though- Arsenal got a postponement this weekend having one case of Covid. Obviously not their fault for asking, but the rule isn’t fit for purpose

Leeds missing 9 first team players and we still went ahead and played. Having to put 15 year olds on the bench as we don’t have the cover. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Leeds missing 9 first team players and we still went ahead and played. Having to put 15 year olds on the bench as we don’t have the cover. 

So it penalises the teams who have a sense of decency basically. It was intended for Covid outbreaks, not run-of-the-mill injuries, or tournaments that be planned against years in advance.

5 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

It’s pretty mad- they’ll be 6 games behind some teams if it gets called off.  

They had the sense to get knocked out of the FA Cup at least, so should be able to catch them up.

The rules need to be tightened up though- Arsenal got a postponement this weekend having one case of Covid. Obviously not their fault for asking, but the rule isn’t fit for purpose.

I don't think you can really change the rules now. I think you have to play the season out and tighten them next time.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't think you can really change the rules now. I think you have to play the season out and tighten them next time.

Oh I’m not saying this year- fully aware we’re tied to the mast now (though should hopefully get abused less as winter eases). They’re gonna have to be far more prescriptive next year though.